Can't unlock my hump :(

Lucky34

Registered
Well... I took all the screws and bolts off the tail today, and then I had to leave... so I put the hump on the bike and took off. When I got back I went to take the hump off, but couldn't... then I remembered that I had unhooked the little thingy inside the tail when I was taking it off.... so... now what do I do? How can I take the hump off? The whole tail section I loose. Everything is off, but I can't take it off because the hump is on...

Please help me... How can I take the hump off if I put it on when the lock was unhooked?

By the way, I remember reading a thread about this a long time ago, but couldn't find it. I did a search, but nothing....
sad.gif

Ok,calm down and collect yourself. Then, take the seat off,remove the bolts on the left side of the tail section,now very carefully pull the plastic back some so you can see back there,if you can stick your arm back there and pull the cable, fine. I had to use a pair of needle nose pliers to do it, there is no easy way to do this. Its a small place to get to,if you removed the cable altogether, its even harder, but not impossible.Hope this helps.

don't remove the cable next time. Remove the bracket its hooked into... that way you can't latch it back down without putting that bracket back on.

I cut a football size hole in the mudflap and still had a hard time getting the thing to unlatch. Actually it was the size of an orange
laugh.gif

seriously If you dremel a even hole or square from the bottom you can unlatch it. If you come in from the seat good luck because I tried and tried and tried, end result "big hole in the mud flap and a motorhead undertail purchase"

i also cut a hole in the bottom, and then used some 200mph duct tape to patch the hole!
cool.gif
I tried the other way, but my hand wouldnt fit, once i started seeing blood, i gave up on that idea, so i just cut it!

GL

sad.gif

I tried sticking my hand through the space from the removed seat.. but I can only get in about 4 inches..... I guess I'll keep trying though....

I tried every which way....end result....cut a hole and go under neath. I really like the idea of taking the bracket off instead of unlatching.

Hmmm.... I see the cable, but even if I pull it, it's not gonna do anything... It gets pulled when I turn the key... I need to get all the way to the back of the tail... behind everything, the the little plastic thingy where the cable used to be hooked into.....
My hand is really starting to hurt...
sad.gif

i also cut a hole in the bottom, and then used some 200mph duct tape to patch the hole!  
cool.gif
  I tried the other way, but my hand wouldnt fit, once i started seeing blood, i gave up on that idea, so i just cut it!  

GL
i was wondering when you were going to see this thread and come clean...
biggrin.gif

cut even and save the plastic. I used contact cement and patched it back together while I waited for the undertail to come in. I didn't save the plastic though so I used some sturdy aluminum and painted it black and cemented it in place. Couldn't tell anything was different but I knew so the new undertail was ordered. Plus with a new undertail you can forget to latch the cable but still be able to pull off the back fairing if you needed to. With the stock set-up you can't.
I

Well, I did some research.... looked at some pics of busa trunks... figured out how the opening mechanism works... and here's where I'm at right now:
(Use attached pic for reference)

The cable circled in <table style=filter:glow(color=Yellow)>Yellow</table> is unhooked. So in order to unlock the hump, I need to push the plastic thingy circled in <table style=filter:glow(color=Red)>Red</table> down manually. I can get to it by sticking my hand through where the undertail meets the tail (following the <table style=filter:glow(color=Green)>Green</table> arrow), but it is very difficult to move the plastic thingy with my finger). I tried using some tools, but just keep dropping them because of the cramped position my hand is in.

ANY ADVICE?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
I'm desperate here... I REALLY don't want to cut a whole in my undertail and I have a group ride in about 5 hours.....

Busa_Trunk2.jpg

rock.gif

By the way, that picture is not of my bike... I believe it's Chevelle's. I found it while searching for info related to the trunk of the busa....

Did this too and pulled the right side away from the bike as much as possible and used a screwdriver to push the lock mechanism. Took a little time, but got it done without cutting anything.

the latch moves towards the key not down. If you can come over the top of the sub frame with your tip of your figure and move the latch towards the key while someone lifts up on the hump you might get it. I couldn't get my hand that far in there to touch the latch. You almost got it.

CUT UNDERNEATH, STICK HAND IN, PUSH LATCH, DONE! EASY. 410-603-2281 if you need help. EASY EASY EASY.

cool.gif

GL
i was wondering when you were going to see this thread and come clean...
biggrin.gif
jokes. you cut your flap yet? ..........ding dong.............

<!--EDIT|fstAZfk
Reason for Edit: None given...|1123696266 -->

Dunno how far you're getting but if you can get a finger past the bracket, try getting a piece of stiff wire (like a coat hanger or big paper clip), wrap one piece around the end of your finger, make a hook in the other end and see if you can catch the little plastic thing with the hook. Then pull it to the right and it should unlatch.

You might even try the coat hanger for the entire thing, not sticking your hand underneath. Just a long handle, a left hand bend for 2" or so and a hook. Fish it back, pull it a little towards you to get it at the edge of the bracket, twist it counter-clockwise until it catches the edge of the plastic bit and pull.

Just a thought. Good luck.

Carl

Back