Possible cooling problems ?

69ls1

Registered
HI, I just recently put a stage 1 RCC turbo on my bike. This is my first turbo so I am not sure if this is normal. I just starting to get really confortable with the new found power. I been running it in the boost more often and the bike gets hot. I just did  4  qaurter miles runs trying to get ready to go to the track this Friday. The bike heated up to just a little over half way mark on the gauge. I drove it about 5 miles to home and the needle never moved over half way. As soon as I shut the bike off it was like it got instanly hot.  The engine pushed out coolant till the overflow was almost completly full. The temp gauge then went all the way up and the red light come on. The fan was running so that is not an issue.  I used a fan to blow air into the radiator  to help cool things down.   Please help.

Thanks.

Make sure there's no air trapped in the system. It's very hard to bleed out. Just let the bike run with the cap off for 20 -30 mins, it will blow quite a bit out, just keep filling it. If after about 10 min if it's still over heating you may have other problems. Good Luck
beerchug.gif

I tried the suggestion of bleeding the air out of the system. Not sure if it worked but made a heck of a mess. I will ride it tomorrow to see if it is fixed.

As far as a blown head gasket, I would not believe it is that. I would think if the head gasket would be blown it would run hot a lot more than it is. I can ride the bike all day and it will not get hot, just when I run in the boost for a while. Also with a blown head gasket I think it would be possibly losing water and it is not losing any.

Thanks, Any more suggestions of possible causes?

Run a good quality 15-50 synthetic oil in her, burp her and let her idel for about 30 seconds before you turn her off. Good luck.

Doubt its a blown head gasket... ;)

Run 80% distilled water and 20% anti-freeze or just run water wetter with distilled water. (water wetter helped alot.)

If you have too much anti-freeze in there 50/50, she runs hot...

You got an intercooler?

I do not have an intercooler yet. I think the problem is that the turbo sits very close to the radiator. When I shut the engine off the heat from the turbo is heating the water in the radiator to the point of pushing the water out into the overflow. If I leave my fan run for about a minute after I shut the engine off I dont have the problem.

I am running Engine Ice as my coolant. Would that have anything to do with the problem or does anybody have any opinion on using Engine Ice?

Thanks.

You might think about a metal cooling fan blade rather than the oem plastic blade...they move more air thru the radiator.

(69ls1 @ Sep. 20 2007,10:56) I am running Engine Ice as my coolant.  Would that have anything to do with the problem or does anybody have any opinion on using Engine Ice?

Thanks.
Engine ice is fine...

You got any pics of the turbo setup and radiator? What kit is this?

(69ls1 @ Sep. 21 2007,01:12) My  kit is a RCC Stage 1. Seems to be a real nice kit.
you should ping Richard over at sh.org on his screen name 2wicked. His kit and he will know what the deal is pretty quick.

Hey Jody; if your just rideing around and not getting into boost much it wont really matter BUT if your into boost a lot like you said even when your temp gauge is just in the middle, you said you made several 1/4 passes? allways let the bike idle for a while before shuting it down 60-90 sec's should be enough also did the coolant that went into the overflow go back into the motor when it cooled off? if it did you probably didn't hurt anything post back if you find any thing wrong.

Back