Another meaningless tire mileage datapoint

Warchild

Banned
Tire threads are, for the most part, pointless.

This is because no two people will ever have the identical experiences with a particular brand of tire. The reasons are obvious enough: no two people have the identical riding styles, riding environment, throttle discipline, etc, etc, etc. Some are into heavy, late braking; some always pour on the heavy acceleration; others rarely touch their brakes and depend on engine braking and proper corner entry speed, etc, etc. Some may not have their suspension setup optimized to ensure the best performance under all conditions, etc, etc. Some like to ride 10/10's on the street, enter corners a little too hot, etc, etc. All of these things combined together to ensure no two riders have the identical impression of the same tire.

All the above happy horse$hit having been said....

I seem to have gotten some pretty exceptional treadlife on a tire that is actually ridden: I just pulled off this Avon Storm you see below; total mileage on it: 7610 miles

This has been the longest wearing tire on the K8... for me. :cool:

Playa-ed_Busa_Rear_Wheel.jpg

The astute observer will notice that I need to tweak the adjustment on the HPC Hugger.... I appear to be lighting tapping the far right tread a little bit... ???

Last edited:
I am seriously considering a set of those for next season. That's assuming that I wear out my M-3's this year. I have a little over 5000 miles on them and the rear still looks good! :thumbsup:
So I take it you like the way the Storms stick?

I think you must be lost... your are in the dirt :poke::rofl:

Good to see some high milage there. I am looking at running a pair of those when I finish off these stockers. Although I got some miles left on my stockers now. I have a mere 5k miles... Nothing like you have racked up :beerchug:

So I take it you like the way the Storms stick?

Oh, hell yes! Particularly in the rain!

For me, the only tire that has done as well as the Avon Storms in the wet was the tires they replaced, the old Avon AV45/AV46 Azaro's

Not too surprising.... they are made in England; the Brits know a thing or two about riding in the rain....:laugh:

I ran the old Azaro's on my FJ1200 and really liked them. Looks like I may have to make the switch. Thanks for the info!! :beerchug:

Good to see some high milage there. I am looking at running a pair of those when I finish off these stockers. Although I got some miles left on my stockers now. I have a mere 5k miles... Nothing like you have racked up :beerchug:

I think you'll like 'em, Jeff. Reports, War's and others, are that they're a good all-round tire that's easy on the wallet (from the aspect of fewer changes).

Good job, War...dayum if that tire isn't squared.

:beerchug:

It's talcum silt... from the Playa on the Black Rock Desert in northwestern Nevada:

Playa-ed_Busa_RTside.jpg

Normally, I wouldn't have taken the K8 out on the Playa, because the Playa dust is like death to chains. However, at 30,000 miles, I knew the OEM chain was pretty much at the end of its useful service life, so I had no qualms taking the bike out for some gnarly fun! :laugh:

However, I was correct; by the time I rode the 600 miles home, the chain is completely toast. I can no longer maintain an adjustment, I have several "stretched" sections, and several kinked links.

So... my K8 will be down for a while for some serious TLC... :beerchug:

Oh, hell yes! Particularly in the rain!

For me, the only tire that has done as well as the Avon Storms in the wet was the tires they replaced, the old Avon AV45/AV46 Azaro's

Not too surprising.... they are made in England; the Brits know a thing or two about riding in the rain....:laugh:

Thx for info, always good to hear your input as a true high mileage rider. :bowdown: How would you compare these to the pilot road 2,s in the wear and handling dept.? thx, ed.

How would you compare these to the pilot road 2,s in the wear and handling dept.? thx, ed.

They tires are fairly equal in dry grip.... they are both very, very good.

I would give the edge to the Storm in wet grip and treadlife... but the PR2 is not very far behind, truth be told.

Both are quite excellent; the Storms can be had for a goodly amount less than the PR2's, so that's another plus factor for them.

You're not going to go too wrong, choosing between these two.

They tires are fairly equal in dry grip.... they are both very, very good.

I would give the edge to the Storm in wet grip and treadlife... but the PR2 is not very far behind, truth be told.

Both are quite excellent; the Storms can be had for a goodly amount less than the PR2's, so that's another plus factor for them.

You're not going to go too wrong, choosing between these two.

These are the two I was looking at to replace my stock ones. How is the grip compared to stocks?

Im running The pilot road 2 ct and Ive got around 5600 miles on them and even with a few small burnouts they still look brand new.

Trust me - believe me - the stock tires can't even begin to match the grip of the Storms, wet or dry. :banghead:

With the Busa, stock tires are my only measuring stick as they are all I have known thus far. It sounds like anything is an improvment to the stockers!?

I trust and believe you, my Friend. Any recommended place to get Storms from? A particular site sponsor perhaps?

Maybe next set I'll try those. Got tempted by the low price for a set of Shinkos which are in the garage now waiting for a mounting. Looks like I will get 6K out of the OEM tires. If I could match that on a set and keep the stickiness, I'd be happy. I had one set of Avons years ago and had good luck with them but they got suqared off a bit early I thought.

I have pushed and praised the Avon ST tires for three years its a great tire and that is a great review...

With the Busa, stock tires are my only measuring stick as they are all I have known thus far. It sounds like anything is an improvment to the stockers!?

I've heard a people complain about the stock tires, but not sure why. I liked them. Had wear comparable with other tires (3700 miles on the rear) and never had them step out even dragging the feelers. I ran the AV's on my '02. Never had issues with grip and got good milage (5000 or so). Only thing I didn't like was I could distinctly feel when I got all the way to the edge of the tire, I'm guessing because the profile is a little less rounded than pure sport tires.

Last edited:
Great eval Warchild! I have about 4k on my storms right now and they seem to be living up to my expectations. I got 7100 miles out of my Metzeler Z6 (see below) and loved that tire so that was my mark to beat! Thus Far the Storms are equal!

DSCN0011a.jpg

ok my bt015 lasted about 4k and they were very done :laugh:. and i put a new rear on all ready do you guys put fronts and backs on at one time ?

Back