Would you pass another biker in her or his own lane?

Would you pass a fellow rider in his/her own lane

• no

Votes: 128 27.1%
  • yes

Votes: 47 9.9%
  • yes only if he knew I was there an waved me by

Votes: 255 53.9%
  • yes only on straights

Votes: 29 6.1%
  • yes only if he is taking too slow for me

Votes: 14 3.0%

• Total voters
Back when I took the test in North Carolina it said to ride in the middle of the lane if you do not wish to share. So I guess if you are riding in the far right/left of the lane you are giving the right away to the passing vehicle. I have had cars pass me in the left of my lane and some of them were cops. What people don't realize is if the rider in front don't see them coming it can startle them and cause an accident.

I have a question that could be linked with this one...

If you are behind a fellow biker that you don't know, do you pull up to the side of them at a stop light or do you stay behind them? I always have the dilemna of trying to be friendly towards other bikers, but don't want to startle them/anger them haha

I will pass if rider is too slow... not for me but slower than speed limit and riding on fast lane... I selected the last one in the poll since its the closest that reflects my opinion. some riders here where i live take up the lane, ignore their rear and totally do not respect riding/driving etiquette... hence i pass them without a problem... and tend to wave and same time pointing to them to ride on the left. safe for all.

I don't like passing in the same lane, because things can go sour real quick. Even if they nod me in, I still pass at a decent clip, not wot

No I would not unless waived on.

WHY?? You can scare the crap out of someone, or cause an accident.

Coming home from work just cruising along at 70mph and then not 6" from me a caveman on a Harley passes me doing about 100mph in my lane. I got pissed instantly and thought to catch him and bruise his head. then thought I don`t need any trouble. What a jerk.

I have a question that could be linked with this one...

If you are behind a fellow biker that you don't know, do you pull up to the side of them at a stop light or do you stay behind them? I always have the dilemna of trying to be friendly towards other bikers, but don't want to startle them/anger them haha

I might ease up beside him at a light and give him a nod or even comment on his bike, But when the light turns green I will always let him take off first.

I only pass if they know I am there and wave me by... but also make sure it is safe to do so too!:rulez:

At the Harley Anniversary I was riding my GSXR solo. I was stopped at a light, the road went straight on to the onramp for the freeeway. Two harleys pulled up on either side of me...when the light changed they roared up the freeway...lol. What a couple of a$$hats...I'm pretty sure they were drinking, no helmets, and no clue.

If only we had traffic signs which read - - " Lead, follow, or get out of the way"

:laugh:

generally I would only do it when the other rider knows I'm there and waves me past. I have however passed when the other rider intentionally rides slow and irregularly (weaving in the lane, etc) to keep me from passing or just being an ass. I wont pass in the same lane in those cases, I will cross the line and pass them quite quickly to eliminate their ability to do something stupid....and only on a straight. Passing in a turn is just asking for problems 99.99% of the time.

I would say this matches my opinion closest. After having ridden to the Fall Busa Bash and dealing with the traffic to and from the Dragon, I would say if you have managed to make it to my rear, I am absolutely gonna give you the wave to pass. If you caught me, you obviously are running a harder/faster pace than I. I definitely don't need to be worried about someone behind me trying to find a way around in a potentially dangerous manner. I say rock on! I wanna let you go!
On that same token, if I catch another rider, I expect to be waved around as well - I do add the note that I say that to mean only when it's safe to do so. Can't tell you how many cruisers I ran up on going home on 28...long sweepers and then decent straights. The cruisers would see me in their mirror (while they're making their dip and weave turn negotiations) and then try to blast out when they hit the straights to keep me behind them.

I had no problem showing them the power differential between our prefered machinery. I know some will disagree, but it makes no sense for someone to purposefully try to hold the world to their pace. That would be like me driving my cage to my local mountain road and roll 10mph expecting everyone to comply. Just give me the pass and we will both be so much happier!

I do not give someone "the treatment" if it is obvious that the guy is truely not up to the task of pulling to the side, or releasing the grip to wave me by (I was that guy once) - or if it is a male/female couple. If I had a wife/girlfriend out riding, and some DA blew our doors off, I would be PO'd for sure.

My comments are more toward the "I don't move for nobody" kinda riders. I tend to take it case by case...

Last edited:
I only pass them like I would a cage. I get over in the other lane and give them plenty of room. I only pass peeps who I know in their own lane if they wave me by, strangers still get the entire lane. I also don't pull up next to a bike I don't know I treat them as they were cages and keep my distance. And I never ever pass in the corners, that belongs on the track. :2cents:

Comes to thinking about it, bikers get more courtesy from me than cagers do. :rofl:

ill pass the normal riding buddies in the same lane.

ive passed a maybe 1-2 strangers but they knew i was there and it wasnt like i was 2inches from them. usually ill switch lanes if i dont know the person.

ive passed one person at "high speed" doing nothing illegal of course :rulez: he did know i was coming though.

NO, never! some douche did that to us and split our group up yesterday in vermont. we were cruising easy after we lost one to an accident and went to the hospital and another crashed but recovered. talk about a group ride that went sour and the tension was high.

I wouldnt do it to someone I didnt know but when I'm riding with friends and I know they see me we usually swap positions within one lane frequently. just get tired of checking out each others asses,lol. important thing is that whoever your passing knows your there and what your about to do...for example, sometimes my brother will shoot up next to me when I'm not looking and scares the hell outta me...not cool. But I've learned to constantly check my mirrors if I know theres another bike behind me now so I get some kind of forwarning.

You pull to the left? I'd take that as a Block.

I just now saw this and need to clarify the position. I normally ride in the carpool lane or in the far left/fast lane, and many times split lanes in "No mans land", if another rider comes up on me and wants to pass I have to get to the left of the HOV so that he can pass/split in this area on my right. I do not generally pass another in any other lanes unless he waves me on, which is rare in my case. I will pull completely beside another rider at a stop light, that way I know for certain he is aware of me.
Sorry I did not make that clear the first time.
Bubba

Back
Top Bottom