Woke to a light show! Lightning

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
I woke up about 1am to a bright flash, a little thunder but lots of lightning... I looked out the window and no rain, no wind but tons of lightning... I grabbed the camera and headed outside... This was a new one for me, the storm was building right over my house, you could see stars and no clouds then BAM a huge lightning strike out of the clear blue... Over about 5 minutes while I was setting up some clouds formed quickly and the lightning became more violent and really really really loud.... As fast as the storm came up it went away, then behind me about 10 miles another one tried to spin up.... You can see the two different small storms that formed up in the pictures, the first pics are looking East towards the City of Norman, that is why they are brighter. The darker pics are looking towards the country and the West....

All in all about 30 minutes worth of light show, enough rain to put dust on the car and a few good shots to post up here......

Enjoy...

cap

KNG_7650.jpg
KNG_7651.jpg
KNG_7654.jpg
KNG_7656.jpg
KNG_7659.jpg
KNG_7662.jpg

KNG_7650.jpg

KNG_7651.jpg

KNG_7654.jpg

KNG_7656.jpg

KNG_7659.jpg

KNG_7662.jpg

I love the colours in those pics.
I love storms, just the feeling you get when the thunder and lightning are about.

How the H-E-double-hockey-sticks do you get the lightning to come out so good? I have a Sony HX1, what's the secret setting? :)

Good shots cap! I love lightening shots. I set the shutter to stay open for 10-15 seconds and am able to get some decent shots every once in a while. We have a hill to our NE where most of the storms come through so it is difficult to get any shots until the storm is right on top of me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great photos!:thumbsup:

We got a little less of the lightening and more of the rain over here in Missouri. Well over 2" by now, and still raining off and on. We sure needed it.

Man Doug you really get some crazy weather there!

Awesome shots!

wow! those r freakn awesome!

I seen a guy over the summer time after being struck by lightning with smoke coming outta his ears. he was fishing on a pier and was makn his way back to shore when he was struck right in the middle of his baseball cap. split the cap in half. this dude was literally toast. looked like he was put in a oven. his skin was hanging off him. his was cooked. nvr seen anyway who was struck by lightning b4 and it wasnt a pretty site. it exited thru his foot and the shoe was completely melted. lightning is no joke!

did u know that lightning is about the width of ur pinkie. wat u see in the sky is expanding plasma. lightning is about HOT! about 30000 degrees which is almost 5 times hotter then the surface of the sun

Back