windchill for 35 degree at 170?

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
It was 47 this afternoon. Despite Iowa roads consisting of all the worst stuff in winter [sand, salt, ice-melter-spray, oil, water, ice, slush] and various combo-piles of it all, I knew what I had to do: One Must Ride. By the time I got home from work, temps had dropped about 10 degrees but the sun was beaming in a clear blue sky and it SEEMED warmer. Three miles later, I found myself facing the nearest empty flat stretch, pocketed only with the occasional commutter. People ask me why I ride in the dead of winter, adn I tell them it's no different than snowmobiling except I can go more places.

Things learned at the edge of reason:
- not only does Busa enjoy cool air, loves COLD air too
- tires with 32PSI stick pretty good
- a cold ride is better than no ride at all
- people stare at you funny
- so do Police
smile.gif

- frozen suspension sucks! bumpy
- wind chill for a 35 degree ride at 170mph is about -38
- Technic gloves do NOT provide safe protection in winter
- Sidi boots do okay
- long underwear is never the wrong idea

- Hayabusa is STILL my favorite motorcycle ride!

towercam4_640x480.jpg

Way to go WWJD. Nobody can accuse you of being a fair weather rider now! I've ridden plenty in miserable conditions, and I'm always amazed at how the wind chill can cut right to the bone. My dilemma is always the same... "should I go 45 mph and freeze my buns off for 1 hour, or should I go 90 mph and get there in half an hour? I usually choose the 90 mph option and can't feel my extremities for hours. I guess I'll never learn.
smile.gif
I'm just waiting now for the roads to clear before I test your wind chill findings.

I am starting to feel spoiled up here! I got to ride yesterday & went out over lunch today. Just about 70 degrees yesterday & today. Beautiful!!
biggrin.gif

I didn't have time to dig a path through my yard to get the girl out or I woulda went for a ride around town too. Gotta ride while you can!
biggrin.gif

hmm, yeah, thats a bit cold, though I did take mine out two weeks ago when it was in the 40s just cuz I had the itch.... now mine is in pieces doing upgrades/normal service stuff so its just as well that its like 20F outside
wink.gif

I "thought" about riding after work today. It was sunny and 33 degrees, but I just couldn't bear to bring the bike out in the salt.

Glad you got a ride in Greg.
cool.gif

Way to go, WWJD. I've been testing the limits of my cold weather gear as well.

"One must ride"

Amen
smile.gif

wow.gif
- anything under 70 is too cold for me to ride!
well... there ARE some exceptions.. but... I know... I'm a tropical monkey
cool.gif

I've riden in 35 deg. weather before but not at 170. The wind chill at 75 was enough for me.
tounge.gif

well, pac, the area I opened her up was flat and dry. I'm not an idiot
biggrin.gif
no melty run off, no piles of sand or anything. outside of town. smooooooooooooooooooooooth sailing. yeah!

hahaha i just noticed the pic I posted is a live cam and will update every 15 minutes or so

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: None given...|1106622413 -->

greg man... you are the hardest core rider I've met..... no way I would EVER think about taking my baby outta storage to ride on this FREEZING day!!!! and I know how cold it is also..... its prolly colder here.. I"m about 120 mi north of you.

<!--EDIT|fstbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1106627763 -->

I did an hour once at 100-110 in 15-20 degree weather and I was so cold that my bones hurt.  
eek2.gif

In an effort to make more posts (so that I'm not considered a low posting waste of time
smile.gif
) Ill just share my dismay at the fact that you sellouts actually own a car at all
wink.gif

Havent had one in 10 years of riding

mind you here in Perth, Australia its exciting to see a bit of Frost early in the morning in the dead of winter ;)

Of course roads with corners in them are harder to find here but you cant complain too much

mox

In an effort to make more posts (so that I'm not considered a low posting waste of time
smile.gif
) Ill just share my dismay at the fact that you sellouts actually own a car at all
wink.gif

Havent had one in 10 years of riding

mind you here in Perth, Australia its exciting to see a bit of Frost early in the morning in the dead of winter ;)

Of course roads with corners in them are harder to find here but you cant complain too much

mox
hahahahhahhhaha! Many a time I WISH I didn't need a car, but it just won't happen. Hauling computers, monitors, pocketbikes, groceries, dates etc would get pretty hard on cycle only. Snow, Ice, Slush will slow you down too.

FSTBUSA, it wasn't so bad before the sun went down. you know how it is: Iowa becomes the dark side of Mars where temps drop each minute! But, ooooh, I needed that fix.
smile.gif

smile.gif

Riding in the cooler weather is a blast. Go work when the sun is down and temp around 35F and then come home with the sun down and temp around 42F. Only time I am in the cage is when its going to snow or rain and leave ice. Not into riding on the ice since North Dakota and even then didn't do it on purpose...

Back