will small air box mod and pair valve help stock busa

bigbusamike

Registered
I have a stock 07 busa, no money to play with all the expensive toys, but love playing. Wondering if these to mods will help with any power for stock busa, or if you need to have aftermarket parts to see the worth in these two mods

I did it on mine with no other mods. I felt a difference, but can't give you any dyno numbers. The Pair vlv I'd skip unless I was back fire'n.

from what I've done the cheapest bang for the buck is rear sprocket 42 and small air box mod.

CAUTION: this WILL lead to other mods lol

speedo healer
new chain
aftermarket air filter
etc......

Well I have done some cosmitic stuff lol, but only TRE mod for performance. I have buell pegs risers double bubble, shaved rear fender poilshed rear sets, passenger brackets, and exhaust cans, . I thiknk it is time to play with performnace stuff now, so pair is just if it is backfiring no performce gains?

Well I have done some cosmitic stuff lol, but only TRE mod for performance. I have buell pegs risers double bubble, shaved rear fender poilshed rear sets, passenger brackets, and exhaust cans, . I thiknk it is time to play with performnace stuff now, so pair is just if it is backfiring no performce gains?

"so pair is just if it is backfiring no performce gains?"

correct.

Other than a few lbs of weight reduction and more unburnt hydrocarbons in the air, there are no h.p. gains from removing the pair valve.

cheers
ken

ok, so there are no gains, but my big question is....will it LOSE any power? Matter of fact, has anyone ever dyno tested any of these free mods to see if it really helps or hurts? I'm just wondering because alot of the time the "butt dyno" lies.

most people don't get rid of the PAIR unless they're going to a full exhaust system. Once you go to a full system then the small box mod has benefits. All of the dyno results I've seen were in combination with the other mods so it doubtfull that many have just removed the PAIR and then dynoed or just done the small box mod and dynoed. Mostly people don't dyno until they;e done some mods that require some tunning and that's when the bikes hit the dyno.

If you're running a bone stock engine and exhaust I wouldn't do the small box mod. The pair you could toss if you want but it wont change any hp numbers. It'll reduce the bikes weight by maybe 1lb.

most people don't get rid of the PAIR unless they're going to a full exhaust system. Once you go to a full system then the small box mod has benefits. All of the dyno results I've seen were in combination with the other mods so it doubtfull that many have just removed the PAIR and then dynoed or just done the small box mod and dynoed. Mostly people don't dyno until they;e done some mods that require some tunning and that's when the bikes hit the dyno.

If you're running a bone stock engine and exhaust I wouldn't do the small box mod. The pair you could toss if you want but it wont change any hp numbers. It'll reduce the bikes weight by maybe 1lb.

Thanks for the reply, I've got nothing but a BMC filter on mine and was wondering about the small box mod maybe causing a little loss at low rpm. The only reason I wonder is because it seems to have a similiar function as the secondary air flap on an old quadrajet carb which only allowed a certain amount of air in when you first floored it to keep from having an extreme lean condition. I was just thinking that removing this flap on my busa may cause just that to happen if it wasnt tuned properly for that huge rush of air that it normally doesnt see when the flap is functioning. Hope this makes since..... Just seems to me that without some way to compensate for that burst of air, that it would cause problems down low, even though it'll help up top for sure.

pair valve- 5hp gain is possible
..I simply took the pair air intake hose and put it on the crank case breather fitting. The dyno registered 5 hp gain immediatly. The air being drawn from the crankcase from the pair valve freeing up 5 hp. less air to push around..strange but true!
Max

not strange....pro drag bikes run vacuum pumps to pull all the pressure out of the cases.

you will lose some midrange after doing the small box mod, unless you have an exhaust you may not see much gain using eom cans...

Pair air valve is after the motor doing its thing. So doesn't help motor gain any horsepower. Wanna see for yourself with only 5min work is deleting the pair vale effects your bike? Do the marble mod(search). It will literally give you the same effect. Minus the weigh loss.

Air box mod lets more air in,but stock exhaust isn't gonna let more air out. IT's pretty much at this point one of those things people do that ends up being nothing more then "I've Done it!" mods. Air box mod even though cost nothing will give you about nothing in gains,unless you do exhaust(full) plus tune.

Same goes for stock air filter. No need for aftermarket unless you like telling people that you got one in there.

Pair air valve is after the motor doing its thing. So doesn't help motor gain any horsepower. Wanna see for yourself with only 5min work is deleting the pair vale effects your bike? Do the marble mod(search). It will literally give you the same effect. Minus the weigh loss.

Air box mod lets more air in,but stock exhaust isn't gonna let more air out. IT's pretty much at this point one of those things people do that ends up being nothing more then "I've Done it!" mods. Air box mod even though cost nothing will give you about nothing in gains,unless you do exhaust(full) plus tune.

Same goes for stock air filter. No need for aftermarket unless you like telling people that you got one in there.

I've done the small box mod on a stone stock Busa (stock exhaust) and you still see benefits from it. I've gotten 3hp gain with a stock filter. With a Brock/Hindle exhaust and a BMC race filter I saw 5hp gain. The pair valve removal is a preference but usually needed when getting an aftermarket exhaust. Using it as the "sucker mod" ie; crankcase vacuum device it certainly gains a few hp. Depends on the condition of the engine. Removing it will net you 2lbs and 4oz. in weight savings though which is including the brackets, bolts and all lines.

I'm going to dyno another stock Busa here in the next week or so showing the difference between stock to modded airbox. I will also dyno the difference between a stock filter to no filter. Running no air cleaner will gain more HP at the strip than it will show on the dyno rollers but it is for scientific testing anyway. :rofl:

Man this **** has been discussed for what now......9 years....geez!

If you are on a budget then try removing some weight from the bike. Without destroying the looks or functionality of the bike, I have removed 20lbs without an aftermarket exhaust which can net another 22lbs+. Very little money really. If for some reason you get some extra dough, then lighter wheels another 7-12lbs total depending if you get forged aluminum, magnesium or all out carbon fiber. So 50lbs+ can net at least .20 and 2mph in the qtr and way better handling along with braking.

Reactions: Max
Cant find any pic of what the small airbox mod looks like and what you need to do it and brocks site is down or its just me
thanks

Busashot.. 20 lbs cut without touching the wheels and exhaust? carbon-fiber tank?..or what

PAIR valve needs removing if you are going down any kinda PCV route as it causes the bike to think its running lean if it stays on. Just get rid as its only there for the green lot to make them 'think' the bikes running clean. Minor HP boost and minor weight saving but not enough to get excited about. (But every little helps).

Its a bit like a car's EGR and DPF's ... Makes no real world difference to emissions, but gets them thro the testing stage of production.

Busashot.. 20 lbs cut without touching the wheels and exhaust? carbon-fiber tank?..or what

Yup. You would be surprise all the little bits you can either remove or replace to whittle it down. I have a diary of every thing I removed, replaced or even added. Since then my bike is now down to 474lbs with full tank of fuel. Stock bodywork and no BST wheels but using an AirTech glass fuel tank now. You can get down to like 430lbs but lose a lot of the street parts needed to be legal.....if the cops even know what that means in most states.

Reactions: Max
Back