wichita pd must be desperate

Are cops exempt from the seatbelt law?

Yes. It is considered an officer safety issue when arriving on calls. Taking the time to undo a seatbelt can mean the difference between life and death. Unfortunately, it's also why cops die more often in auto accidents.

See, thats the problem that I have with cops, they have special privileges that regular people dont have, they are above the law. They dont have to comply to the same standards that I do. They can speed where they want, park where they want, say what they want, etc, etc. If they had to follow the same laws that they enforce, it would be one thing, but they don't.

See, thats the problem that I have with cops, they have special privileges that regular people dont have, they are above the law. They dont have to comply to the same standards that I do. They can speed where they want, park where they want, say what they want, etc, etc. If they had to follow the same laws that they enforce, it would be one thing, but they don't.

I don't think you're really thinking clearly here. The very nature of a LEO's job requires that they perform task that are not required of the common citizen. If you are willing to lay your life on the line for every thug with a gun, then perhaps we'll overlook the seat belt infraction. Until then, grant the police some leniency as they certainly risk more in a day than most risk in a lifetime. And for a rather pathetic salary at that.

As a citizen, you can't incarcerate another citizen, you can't draw a weapon without being in fear of your life, you can't enter a residence with just cause, you can't pull over another vehicle because they were driving carelessly. There are a plethora of job functions that citizens are not privy to, but nobody seems to complain about those issues. And while I am not fond of LEO's that speed while off duty, it's a common occurrence that is not likely to be changed any time soon.

Last edited:
Think of it this way,
May be the officer did give you a break, a break so that next time you think twice about putting on your seatbelt so you don't kill yourself if you ever should get in a accident.

Remember fellow busa riders, buckle up and don't forget to put on your nice shiny helmet before touching those controls:laugh:

I think before long you will have to wear your safety helmet when driving a vehicle.

I don't get it. Don't you guys pay us to enforce the laws? :(

Not really. Governments tax citizens and use part of that tax revenue to pay police to enforce laws enacted by the government. Some of those laws serve to further increase government revenue by generating fines and fees, and those laws coincidentally happen to be some of the easiest laws to enforce. Thus, the government has a vested interest in assigning resources to enforce those laws, since they see a direct monetary return on the investment of labor. The laws citizens like to see enforced, such as those against theft and violent crime, require more resources to uphold and usually provide no monetary return to the government.

As Cap stated above, the root problem is with the government officials. As Dennis Miller said, "State politicians are people whose darkest secrets keep them from running for national office."

Not really. Governments tax citizens and use part of that tax revenue to pay police to enforce laws enacted by the government. Some of those laws serve to further increase government revenue by generating fines and fees, and those laws coincidentally happen to be some of the easiest laws to enforce. Thus, the government has a vested interest in assigning resources to enforce those laws, since they see a direct monetary return on the investment of labor. The laws citizens like to see enforced, such as those against theft and violent crime, require more resources to uphold and usually provide no monetary return to the government.

As Cap stated above, the root problem is with the government officials. As Dennis Miller said, "State politicians are people whose darkest secrets keep them from running for national office."

You seem to be confused. You ARE the government. When you forget that, you allow other citizens to proclaim themselves as your master (i.e. Big Government.) The sooner you remember who pulls the strings, the easier it will be to reign back the puppets.

I always considered a first time belt offense to be an "Oops, sorry sir" and if your polite and everything else is in order you should be allowed to leave. We all forget things once in a while and dont think it should cost $30. BUT, technically its still an offense so you can be ticketed, just the way it is.

my sentiments exactly. i dont care about the 30 bucks. it really wasnt a big deal. i just think he could have cut me some slack since i had my papers ready when he came to the car. the law just changed here. like i said i alway try to remember my belt. i know how important it is and im not arguing the fact. just wish i could have gotten some slack.

and i know he was just doing what he was hired to do.

I agree .
Maybe Mynewride is paying Hisnewticket :rofl:

I keel me
:rofl:

that i did.

i dont get alot of time on here. i just didnt get back on to check on my responses. man there are alot of em. lol.

i was really mad at myself. trust me. i know it was my fault and i shouldnt have taken it out on the leo, but man if i was an officer and looked up someones record and it was clean... id give a warning for this . ill pay the fine and move on. just needed to vent i guess. its been an incredibly long 3 weeks with no days of and working 12 hrs a day. i think ot is finally over. :cheerleader:

I don't get it. Don't you guys pay us to enforce the laws? :(

hey my brother in law and one of my good friends are both officers here in kansas. both do not ticket on first offense for a seatbelt violation. they give a written warning so its on record. next time its a fine. thats all. i have nothing against them. just hate it when i screw up.:banghead:

ive just had some officers that are complete jerks and others are actually pretty cool. in fact i was joking with the one that gave me a ticket for 96 in a 55 many years ago.

Yes. It is considered an officer safety issue when arriving on calls. Taking the time to undo a seatbelt can mean the difference between life and death. Unfortunately, it's also why cops die more often in auto accidents.

Police are not exempt in our state. It is common for some officers not to wear a seat belt if their agency does not hold them accountable. Frankly the officer safety excuse does not hold water. If you are expected to enforce seat belt laws, then you should wear them. Some officers do not wear or enforce the seat belt law.

Police are not exempt in our state. It is common for some officers not to wear a seat belt if their agency does not hold them accountable. Frankly the officer safety excuse does not hold water. If you are expected to enforce seat belt laws, then you should wear them. Some officers do not wear or enforce the seat belt law.

That's interesting, I'll have to research more. I know it's in our local G.O., but I'm not sure if that contradicts state law or if there is a built-in exemption.

I agree, the officer safety aspect is a trade-off for certain.

hmm..........rides a pretty recent and expensive bike, and doesn't have $30 layin around.

you have no idea what i have gone through in the last 2 years. i have had the bike since may of 08. i lost my job in dec 08 and didnt go back to work till sept 09. worked till june of this year and got laid off again. construction work is very slow right now. i make very good money when i work, but times are tough right now. so i took a job with coleman in maint. the pay is about 12 pr hr less, but its a job right...

and yes i have 30 dollars....i just dont want to spend it on my stupid mistake. on top of that i had a little girl that i would give up my bike for if it comes to that. she was born while i was off work as well.

How many states now have helmet laws? Insurance companies don't want you to crash because then they have to pay out... They want you to wear helmets...

Make you deal... You find every crash in your area where someone was wearing a seatbelt and died and I will find every accident here locally in which people were not wearing seatbelts and died... We can look at speeds and such on a case by case basis if you want... This weekend there were 5 people killed in the same crash because they were all ejected...

Seatbelts do save lives...

well....i dont know what states have helmet laws but i know fl doesnt, and people around here in the summer will ride with no shirt no helmet shorts and flip flops. i always wear my helmet i was just making a comparison. i never said seatbelts dont save lives, i just dont like the goverment telling me i have to. what about the guys riding around in the back of trucks going down the road at 60 mph? there must not be a law against that i see it everyday.

I would rather get a Ticket then Kiss the Windshield some day..............Glass and your face do not mix :rulez:

Back