Why is it?

Kind of why is it but are other countries other than Canada and the US engaged in cancel culture?

Are street names and prominent features being renamed or statues being removed?

Here in Canada, our founding fathers are being cancelled and just about anything named after them are being renamed....mostly by indigenous names nobody can pronounce...

I see this as a dangerous trend....

Kind of why is it but are other countries other than Canada and the US engaged in cancel culture?

Are street names and prominent features being renamed or statues being removed?

Here in Canada, our founding fathers are being cancelled and just about anything named after them are being renamed....mostly by indigenous names nobody can pronounce...

I see this as a dangerous trend....

In the United States, the changes were to try and remove the culture of the confederacy, figures prominent in trying to maintain the racist culture of our early years. I don't see that as dangerous, rather as an attempt to bolster a new and open relationship among people rather than celebrate what they stood for. I don't doubt that some of those people were great leaders, but leaders of an archaic and unwelcome past. I'm not too educated on Canada and what you describe there.

In the United States, the changes were to try and remove the culture of the confederacy, figures prominent in trying to maintain the racist culture of our early years. I don't see that as dangerous, rather as an attempt to bolster a new and open relationship among people rather than celebrate what they stood for. I don't doubt that some of those people were great leaders, but leaders of an archaic and unwelcome past. I'm not too educated on Canada and what you describe there.
In it's infancy, Canada was an untamed land much like the US, we had many bands of indigenous folk living all over the place. In our settling of our land, we ran up against some of these indigenous people who took offence to our being there, some we had to fight but most we were able to form a treaty and work alongside them.

Our founding fathers who were involved in the early settlement of Canada are all being canceled due to the point of view that they were harsh towards the indigenous people.....our current government pardoned all the indigenous chiefs of that era but in the same breath condemned our founding fathers...and thus cancelled them, our first prime minister included.

The government at the time created these things called "residential schools" where indigenous children would go to be educated, fed and housed. They were run by both the Catholic church and the government and there is great controversary over these....currently they are looking for unmarked graves of children.....my mother was in one and her story varies greatly to what I see on TV.

There was and still is a huge payout for the residential school survivors which makes me think their stories are embellished in order to make money-being a victim is lucrative....

My mother would tell me that indigenous kids were dropped off at the door by their parents as they couldn't feed them. She said in those days indigenous folk were poor and often times kids were starving and freezing in the winter and none of them had any education whatsoever. She also said that because there were no immunizations for childhood diseases, lots of kids died of these diseases and told me the death rate at her school was no greater than what was in her neighborhood when she left.

Long story is that all the people who were involved in these schools are now being cancelled and cancelled thoroughly and quickly.

The problem with our history is it is not balanced, and therefore offers no lesson. When a man takes up arms against his own country and is put down in America's bloodiest war, why would we then place a statue in their honor on our lands? What does that say to the true Americans who died protecting our flag? truthfully, those statues mean less about honoring a time in the past when Americans rose to what they mistakenly believed was right, it's about saying "We're still here and we will rise again". There is no place for that.

I saw a movie called "Killers of the Flower Moon" this weekend. It's a sobering look into our past, and the things that were done out of greed, not patriotism. I know most here won't see it, but history is most constructive when it is honest, even when we are forced to realize our mistakes.

The problem with our history is it is not balanced, and therefore offers no lesson. When a man takes up arms against his own country and is put down in America's bloodiest war, why would we then place a statue in their honor on our lands? What does that say to the true Americans who died protecting our flag? truthfully, those statues mean less about honoring a time in the past when Americans rose to what they mistakenly believed was right, it's about saying "We're still here and we will rise again". There is no place for that.

I saw a movie called "Killers of the Flower Moon" this weekend. It's a sobering look into our past, and the things that were done out of greed, not patriotism. I know most here won't see it, but history is most constructive when it is honest, even when we are forced to realize our mistakes.
I am finding more and more that street names should only be numbers and buildings should only have generic names....as soon as something is named after a person, it is open to the interpretation of this persons history, even the saintliest of saints has some sort of skeleton in their closet that can be used against them.

Nothing is sacred anymore and nothing is above intense scrutiny and open for public opinion. Somewhere, sometime, someone will take offense to our war memorials and if enough of them gather power those could be removed...

The war between the states was unique, even though it has been generations since this war has been fought, there are still people in the southern states that don't believe it was lost...I've run into quite a few of these people over the years and some of them are scary in their beliefs......here and there we see them raise their ugly heads especially if there is an opportunity for anarchy.

I am finding more and more that street names should only be numbers and buildings should only have generic names....as soon as something is named after a person, it is open to the interpretation of this persons history, even the saintliest of saints has some sort of skeleton in their closet that can be used against them.

Nothing is sacred anymore and nothing is above intense scrutiny and open for public opinion. Somewhere, sometime, someone will take offense to our war memorials and if enough of them gather power those could be removed...

The war between the states was unique, even though it has been generations since this war has been fought, there are still people in the southern states that don't believe it was lost...I've run into quite a few of these people over the years and some of them are scary in their beliefs......here and there we see them raise their ugly heads especially if there is an opportunity for anarchy.
You are minimizing the atrocities committed by many of these people. You seem like a decent guy, you should know better.

You are minimizing the atrocities committed by many of these people. You seem like a decent guy, you should know better.
Not sure how I am minimizing anything?

What we call atrocities by today's standard was most likely standard practice in their day...

We could go into many modern events which by definition would be an atrocity committed by western leaders that are currently revered.

but are other countries other than Canada and the US engaged in cancel culture?
Well, NZ is currently having all place names changed, with the Maori names first in bold letters, then the English names following in smaller font.
The indigenous people, the Maori race, are currently engaged with the Govt regarding 'Co-Governance', it's too much to try to explain it here, but basically they want to run the government and take over all lands, and the vast majority of the lands were sold to the English by the Chiefs of the Tribes, with a few exceptions.
Here’s a few pages from a booklet being distributed by the anti co governance group.

A2DB24B1-22AB-497C-8F45-289A7783D399.jpeg

CFBDA8B8-D220-4090-8D89-5DC4736C3679.jpeg

749A4F1D-BF9A-4E7D-BACA-648C75EF6283.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, NZ is currently having all place names changed, with the Maori names first in bold letters, then the English names following in smaller font.
The indigenous people, the Maori race, are currently engaged with the Govt regarding 'Co-Governance', it's too much to try to explain it here, but basically they want to run the government and take over all lands, and the vast majority of the lands were sold to the English by the Chiefs of the Tribes, with a few exceptions.
Here’s a few pages from a booklet being distributed by the anti co governance group.

View attachment 1672807

View attachment 1672808

View attachment 1672810
The indigenous folk here want self governance......and they are basically getting it and using tax-payer money to do it with.

So far the government has handed lots of land back to them and in most cases they aren't making the land better.

They were handed a part of Saskatoon and my uncle (rest his soul) took me to where his old street was where he grew up and it and the area had been handed over.....at one time it was a very nice neighborhood with old brick two story homes and big old trees, now the houses almost look abandoned with grass knee high and no pride left in them....

Not sure how I am minimizing anything?

What we call atrocities by today's standard was most likely standard practice in their day...

We could go into many modern events which by definition would be an atrocity committed by western leaders that are currently revered.
This is a common misconception. Go back and read the founding of this country and you will realize that slavery was less about "everyone does it" and more about "I can get away with it". At the time of the founding of the US, slavery was already looked down on by many 1st world countries as a disgusting thing they did in the colonies. Many of the pro-slavery sections of the constitution were added to get more than the 13 original colonies to join the union. At the time the abolitionist movement was pretty strong and influential. On top of all the documentation indicating that slavery was not just the way it was, taking a whip and stripping the flesh off a woman's back because she wasn't working hard enough would strike even the most decrepit soul as immoral.

Trying to excuse what happened to slaves and indigenous people in this country is unfortunate. At best it's an attempt to cover up a guilty conscience - at worse it's hiding the reality of the practice to keep the door open to returning to inhumane practices.

Some of the richest neighborhoods in this country were Black in the early 1900s. While it certainly didn't justify slavery, blacks did have most of the skillset necessary to run an agrarian economy, and for a while, they prospered. So whites burned the neighborhoods down (see Tulsa Riots). Look in every major city and the interstate runs right through the former centers of the black economy - tossing blacks into a cycle of poverty and debt that we still see today.

You can't just return lands that were stolen but not support the indigenous people with loans and market access. This is mainly how you get the lands back into the majority's hands and have the excuse that "they" couldn't handle their finances. It's like reparations: within a year 95% of the money given to minorities will be in the pocket of whites.

On the other hand, taking from whites will not solve the problem. We need a path up for all disenfranchised peoples, racial minorities, women, and poor whites.

This is a common misconception. Go back and read the founding of this country and you will realize that slavery was less about "everyone does it" and more about "I can get away with it". At the time of the founding of the US, slavery was already looked down on by many 1st world countries as a disgusting thing they did in the colonies. Many of the pro-slavery sections of the constitution were added to get more than the 13 original colonies to join the union. At the time the abolitionist movement was pretty strong and influential. On top of all the documentation indicating that slavery was not just the way it was, taking a whip and stripping the flesh off a woman's back because she wasn't working hard enough would strike even the most decrepit soul as immoral.

Trying to excuse what happened to slaves and indigenous people in this country is unfortunate. At best it's an attempt to cover up a guilty conscience - at worse it's hiding the reality of the practice to keep the door open to returning to inhumane practices.
I was primarily referring to what is happening in Canada and villainization of our founding fathers due to their policies with indigenous folk here...

In their day and age what they were doing probably seemed like the right thing to them and many others including many indigenous people. I am talking about the formation of residential schools, at the time of their formation indigenous children were dying at an alarming rate due to the poverty they were living in, kids were starving and freezing to death and suffering abuses at the hands of their families. My mother spent time in one and her stories are vastly different than what I hear or read.....it's almost as if there is a monetary figure attached to being a victim.

I admit even for the time, the government went about this in the wrong way and it could have been so much better but Canada as a nation was struggling and there were (are) so many individual indigenous bands that it would have taken a colossal effort to bring this to the people rather than the people to it.

Our nation didn't send in the military to depose the bands from their lands, we made treaties and employed indigenous folk to assist in the exploration of our country as equals.

We roll around to today where these practices of a century plus ago are being judged by the standards of today. Basically the founding fathers are being cancelled with their statues being vandalized and smashed to their names being removed from buildings and streets.

Not long ago our current government pardoned quite a few of the tribal chiefs who lead their people against the settlers murdering countless numbers of them....yet these chiefs names are held on high and we have streets in our capital renamed in their honor....

And the Canadian taxpayer has been paying reparations for generations-so much so we have made the indigenous people completely dependent on public support and like all people in this situation, they have zero respect for the people supporting them and over the years have gained a sense of entitlement....I have many stories that show this but I don't want to make this post too long.

As for the US and the civil war, that was a very unfortunate period for the US....the people who fought for the confederacy should not be revered nor should they be idolized for all time via statues and having their name used. Such a sad annul in the history of the US, and the scary part is the primary reason behind the war.

I know if it were me, I'd be very hesitant to name anything after a person in this day and age unless that person was thoroughly background checked to make certain there were no skeletons in their closet that could come back to haunt us in the future.

Some of the richest neighborhoods in this country were Black in the early 1900s. While it certainly didn't justify slavery, blacks did have most of the skillset necessary to run an agrarian economy, and for a while, they prospered. So whites burned the neighborhoods down (see Tulsa Riots). Look in every major city and the interstate runs right through the former centers of the black economy - tossing blacks into a cycle of poverty and debt that we still see today.

You can't just return lands that were stolen but not support the indigenous people with loans and market access. This is mainly how you get the lands back into the majority's hands and have the excuse that "they" couldn't handle their finances. It's like reparations: within a year 95% of the money given to minorities will be in the pocket of whites.

On the other hand, taking from whites will not solve the problem. We need a path up for all disenfranchised peoples, racial minorities, women, and poor whites.
You would know far better than I about how blacks were/are treated however, many stories I read regarding the subject make my blood boil, even when I think of them I get riled up....and I have no business feeling like this because it never affected anyone in my ancestry but it still does.

If we look at how many people were treated in the history of the US (and Canada), how the Irish were treated or the Chinese, or the indigenous people who were forced off their ancestral lands by gun point, how the Japanese were forced into internment camps and the list goes on and on.

History just keeps repeating itself the world over....and sometimes I wonder where it will all end...

I've met Greek people who were born here in Canada and have never travelled yet hate Turkish people-all based on the hatred their parents have.

We see this now with Palestine and Israel, there are people marching and hating who are 3rd generation Canadian and have worked side by side with Jewish people without an issue yet have been worked to a frenzy of hate towards them.

I saw this first hand while in Bosnia-people who lived beside each other for decades turned on each other and were ruthless towards each other..

Cyprus was the same, Greeks and Turks who lived in the same neighborhood for decades turned on one another killing and burning.

Why is it that very useless and stupid studies are funded by the government?

I just read a headline where it was stated that research has revealed the science behind stripes on a skunk....really?

....and I asked myself....who actually cares other than the skunk?

Why is it that very useless and stupid studies are funded by the government?

I just read a headline where it was stated that research has revealed the science behind stripes on a skunk....really?

....and I asked myself....who actually cares other than the skunk?

...the lobbyists and business people that have found ways to make money through loop holes...usually found with insider info...

I've noticed the last little while that there is a big push on for gay interactions on TV...it's almost as if the powers to be are trying to desensitize the public to this lifestyle...

At least one commercial per segment depicts a homosexual interaction of kissing.....

I guess they are hoping that people don't even notice or raise an eyebrow to this after awhile..

My wife watches the Hallmark channel Christmas shows these days and she was saying all those movies have the "checks in the boxes" gay couple, all races/religions represented all summed up with the big kiss at the end.....I will watch a little of them to be polite and to spend a little time with her but even she gets tired of them and shuts them off after a while...

I've noticed the last little while that there is a big push on for gay interactions on TV...it's almost as if the powers to be are trying to desensitize the public to this lifestyle...

At least one commercial per segment depicts a homosexual interaction of kissing.....

I guess they are hoping that people don't even notice or raise an eyebrow to this after awhile..

My wife watches the Hallmark channel Christmas shows these days and she was saying all those movies have the "checks in the boxes" gay couple, all races/religions represented all summed up with the big kiss at the end.....I will watch a little of them to be polite and to spend a little time with her but even she gets tired of them and shuts them off after a while...
Yes it an attempt at normalizing it.

It's like every other left leaning effort. It's not enough to expect tolerance and acceptance. They wish for everything to seem normalized. Just think, parents will have to soon explain why a man dressed as a woman will be allowed to use the same restroom as a their 8 year old daughter.

I've noticed the last little while that there is a big push on for gay interactions on TV...it's almost as if the powers to be are trying to desensitize the public to this lifestyle…
It’s not a lifestyle, that suggests it’s a choice. Homosexuality is a part of the human condition. A large part of society is having trouble accepting it, but like it or not, it exists. Too little is said about the fact that homosexuals deserve relationships like anybody else. I don’t watch TV but did when I was a kid and then homosexuality was rarely demonstrated. The tide has turned, and now you know how gay people felt; their reality was not depicted in the television world as if was a crime or otherwise nefarious. You’re not alone in your thoughts, just as gay people weren’t alone then. Netflix and Prime Video are prime examples of choosing what you want to watch.

It’s not a lifestyle, that suggests it’s a choice. Homosexuality is a part of the human condition. A large part of society is having trouble accepting it, but like it or not, it exists. Too little is said about the fact that homosexuals deserve relationships like anybody else. I don’t watch TV but did when I was a kid and then homosexuality was rarely demonstrated. The tide has turned, and now you know how gay people felt; their reality was not depicted in the television world as if was a crime or otherwise nefarious. You’re not alone in your thoughts, just as gay people weren’t alone then. Netflix and Prime Video are prime examples of choosing what you want to watch.
Poor choice of words perhaps on my behalf.

I have no problem with people that live this life, I just notice it is being placed front and center quite a bit of late.

I remember the days of homosexuals being shunned, now they are part of society albeit a very small part of society.

Back