Why does Busa do/sound like this?

BusaBill03

Registered
Wk ago I rode in rain. In past I"ve had rough idle/acc upon subsequent ride til I 'blew out'
condensation' on hi rpm ride (did same on R1). But this is diff & has gotten worse. Now she starts fine. Sounds/feels norm. Smooth & immed throttle resp up to 5k in neutral. Let idle a minute then sputters. Huge hesitation on throttle, back fires, sounds like crap (like not hitting on all cyls). I'm gonna video it & add to post in an hour. (I thot it did but screwed that up on new phone).
Thanks for any help.

Check for codes first.
It also may be a clogged fuel filter or failing fuel pump, a coincidence and common problem.
I rode my gen2 many times in heavy rain, and for long periods of time, with never an issue.
Wouldnt clogged filter amd/or failing pump have immed effect & prevent norm start/idle/rev up for 1st min bfr starts 'failing'?

This is a very hard thing to diagnose especially over the internet.

I guess the basics are in order..

Spark plugs
Coil sticks
Fuel pump/filter
Vacuum line cracked or partially disconnected somewhere
Compression test

I recall you had a fried connector, did that get sorted out and did it cause any further damage to other electrical components? If this issue wasn't resolved properly, water could have found it's way into a connector somewhere fouling it. It might be worthwhile to check and clean all your connectors.

Some of these could be ok until the draw for more fuel or the compression builds or something gets hot and starts to fail....

Wouldnt clogged filter amd/or failing pump have immed effect & prevent norm start/idle/rev up for 1st min bfr starts 'failing'?

Yes, it could, as the pump primes as soon you turn the key and run switch on, but not nesacerily.
You should hear it, like a short quiet whine or whistle, but that doesn't mean the filter isn't clogged, and/or the pump isn't failing either.
I'm not saying that is your problem either, just a common one to be considered.
and @Bumblebee makes good points above.

Yes, it could, as the pump primes as soon you turn the key and run switch on, but not nesacerily.
You should hear it, like a short quiet whine or whistle, but that doesn't mean the filter isn't clogged, and/or the pump isn't failing either.
I'm not saying that is your problem either, just a common one to be considered.
and @Bumblebee makes good points above.
The pump does prime strong as usual when key is turned & bike fires right up. Throttle response perfect. Revs fine. After 30secs or when drop into gear to move is when the complete bog down, start. Also tryingnl to restart several times seems to really suck juice outta brand new battery. which leads me to believe starter going bad

Thanks guys. Taking new battery off trickle charger & gonna drop in & video exactly what's looks/sounds like to post in an hour.

The pump does prime strong as usual when key is turned & bike fires right up. Throttle response perfect. Revs fine. After 30secs or when drop into gear to move is when the complete bog down, start. Also tryingnl to restart several times seems to really suck juice outta brand new battery. which leads me to believe starter going bad

A starter spins the engine, it either works or it doesn't, and sometimes they'll bind as they go bad.
You need to test the battery, and test the charging system.
But, if the bike fires right up, it sounds like repeated restarting from your bogging issue is just running the battery down before and quicker than the electrical system can maintain it.
Interenet problems can be hard to diagnose, but I would still start with fuel related issues, as the bike starts up, revs, but once you put it in gear/put a load on the engine, Then it bogs.
Once again, fuel filter and pump problems are common on theses bikes, especially given the age.

Thanks guys. Interesting update/find.
1st regarding starter. After reading comments I do think my starter is starting to go. Seemed to have a 'dead spot' that kept it from starting a month or so ago when after I'd been riding a while. It seemed to go away & I chalked it up to wild temp swings as I ride daily in 25°-70° temps (Philly, Pa)PA.
But I spent some times cleaning waxing 03 Busa yest (32k w/14k in 10mnths this yr alone) since riding was out. Could this be my problem? A f**king hole in my muffler? Happened 2wks ago which is about the time the bogging, hard starting, surging began.
I was pulling into Wawa for air & old pickup backed out of its parking spot & clipped end of my muffler. I barely kept her upright & accelerated a lil to get my balance & pulled over. Dude either didnt know or took off bc he was gone. (I needed air badly & wasn't in mood for even a friendly chase & chat). Damage seems minimal & pipe barely looked misaligned w/ other side. I found gash/hole yest. It was pushed/crushed in pretty good so I lightly felt around to get feel what was going on til I rode 1/8m home to get it off for better look. I did gently somewhat pull out the buckled section though. Bike fired up, revved & I jumped on & don't you know the bogging, backfiring, surging had to be reduced 75%. Plus bike didn't stall when I went zero throttle in neutral. Still ran rough/hesitated in neutral when I parked. And took 30secs to stall on her own, instead of immed stall w/ no throttle.
Could what I thought was engine starving for fuel actually be correct but not due to fuel issue per se but exhaust gases backing up? Could this be why hi-revving was fine bc high exhaust force vs less force at low rev allows exhaust games to back up/clog pipes & muffler?

20230107_151838.jpg

20230107_151826.jpg

You can ride the bike without muffler(s) and have no problems.
A hole like that could possibly cause a Small amount of hesitation at certain rpms, but it would be a very minor issue.
I still think there is another problem.
I’d be testing the amount of blockage in that crushed muffler, I’d take it off and look thru it and ride the bike with it off to see what difference it makes, if at all.
Also I’d test fuel pressure and fuel delivery/flow…. May be a combination of issues?

Wishful thinking on my part. I cleaned out muffler, cut threads etc. Started, idled & revved like beast it is. Did last much longer sounding good & idling but after cpl mins (vs 30secs) idle started sounding choppy & tailing off, revving was a joke. 1/2 throttle twist resulted in nothing, gasping or sputtering, with occasional catch wind but sounding like crsp when doing so. Almost like on 3cyls or something. New WTF? Is white smoke coming from other pipe (right side). I'm trying to dl video but too big. Gotta fig that out then I'll attach bc hearing prob helps u guys immensely.

Check for codes first.
It also may be a clogged fuel filter or failing fuel pump, a coincidence and common problem.
I rode my gen2 many times in heavy rain, and for long periods of time, with never an issue.
Agreed.
I had a fuel pump that was ruined from race gas being left in the tank and it worked fine until 10k rpm. On that bike I also sent the injectors out to be cleaned/serviced.

In an ideal world it’s suggested to have a 100 micron filter before the fuel pump and a 10 to 50 micron filter after. The filter and pump won’t last forever and some fuel/ environments will be more harsh causing premature failure. How old is your bike and how many miles are on it?

It seems like you’ve had ignition troubles lately so if that’s fixed then fuel delivery would be up next.
You may want to look through the service manual for a suggested path of troubleshooting. It’s certainly helped me.

Agreed.

I had a fuel pump that was ruined from race gas being left in the tank and it worked fine until 10k rpm. On that bike I also sent the injectors out to be cleaned/serviced.

In an ideal world it’s suggested to have a 100 micron filter before the fuel pump and a 10 to 50 micron filter after. The filter and pump won’t last forever and some fuel/ environments will be more harsh causing premature failure. How old is your bike and how many miles are on it?

It seems like you’ve had ignition troubles lately so if that’s fixed then fuel delivery would be up next.
You may want to look through the service manual for a suggested path of troubleshooting. It’s certainly helped me.
'03. Bought last Xmas w/ 18k. Now has 32k. Don't own a car so my daily rider. Was down 2mnths for trans rebuild. Damn, I did has surge/bog prob before T-giving. Found my rectifier wires got pinched & fried together. I just cut/spliced each together individually. I wonder if rectifier was all but done & needed a cpl was before failing. Could that be it? Plugs are only 3mnths old. Fuel Inj's got good cleaning also

This is a very hard thing to diagnose especially over the internet.

I guess the basics are in order..

Spark plugs
Coil sticks
Fuel pump/filter
Vacuum line cracked or partially disconnected somewhere
Compression test

I recall you had a fried connector, did that get sorted out and did it cause any further damage to other electrical components? If this issue wasn't resolved properly, water could have found it's way into a connector somewhere fouling it. It might be worthwhile to check and clean all your connectors.

Some of these could be ok until the draw for more fuel or the compression builds or something gets hot and starts to fail....
FYI this all seriously started NY Day after I rode an hour in 38° weather & heavy rain on NYE. In past I've had 'day after' rain ride issues til a hi-rev ride blew condensation out of system.
I actually now remember a similar situation w/ my R1 a cpl winters ago of riding very rough for a wk & getting worse. I took all connectors apart & found 1 fried yet still wet.
FF to present: It's been 25°-50° damp & cloudy since my NYE ride in rain inc 3-4 more days of light/med rain. Like that R1, bike is parked outside, semi-covered yet exposed. This is my 4th Busa. Fuel sys failure day aftr 'rain ride ' too much of coincidence. Or causation. Instead of pulling my hair out w/ worry I need to do what I should've already done: loosen/remv fairings & start w/ all connections looking for wet or burnt. Test rectifier then stator. Fuel deliv..... I'll post my findings. (BTW, Battery is 2wks old).
Thanks everybody.

You mentioned above that the bike seems to "be sucking the juice out of the battery", and now you said the rectifier wires melted and you fixed them...that's a big red flag. Rectifiers are common fail points, and yours already has.
The Regulator/Rectifier, regulates the voltage so Not to overcharge the battery, and rectifies the ac current to dc.
They will cause gremlins and will leave you stranded...they Can also cause an overcharged battery to get very hot and burst.
Regardless if that fixes all your problems, you need to replace it right now.

Back