Why are Utilities wanting more $$?

I'll jump in on the nuclear talk for a minute...

It's true that U.S. nuclear plant construction was all but halted in the 1980's. This was caused by fears generated from the accidents at Three Mile Island and Chernobyl, combined with minimal increase in demand for electricity.

In 2007 my company restarted the formerly mothballed Browns Ferry Unit 1. We are now completing construction of the formerly suspended project, Watts Bar Unit 2. We are also prepping for the possible completion of Bellefonte Units 1 & 2, with the option of building two adjacent units (Bellefonte 3 & 4.) The new units would be of the Westinghouse AP1000 design, which are a modular build with a projected construction time of only about 3 years, but a design life of 60 years. I've attached a PDF for the truly interested.

We are only one of many utilities across the United States who are now turning back to nuclear with the realization that it is safe, efficient, and carbon friendly.

On the subject of power storage... Check out pumped storage plants. Wikipedia has a short, but good article on our Raccoon Mountain facility. It uses left-over power from our nuclear and hydro plants during off-peak times to fill the reservoir, then generates extra (free) power during peak usage times. Basically, it acts as a HUGE battery and creates zero pollution. Raccoon Mountain Pumped-Storage Plant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Attachments

• AP1000_brochure.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 251
You are not kidding. The problem is we are going to fined because we do not meet the new clean coal regulations, but at the same time, the technology to accomplish this is still being developed or does not exist.

We could have abundant energy with Nuke plants, but the public cries out if you even mention nukes.

+1

And your other post is pretty dead on.

Also some of the rate hike is to help with infrastructure problems. Uprgraing old and outdated thing we've neglected for decades.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'll jump in on the nuclear talk for a minute...

It's true that U.S. nuclear plant construction was all but halted in the 1980's. This was caused by fears generated from the accidents at Three Mile Island and Chernobyl, combined with minimal increase in demand for electricity.

In 2007 my company restarted the formerly mothballed Browns Ferry Unit 1. We are now completing construction of the formerly suspended project, Watts Bar Unit 2. We are also prepping for the possible completion of Bellefonte Units 1 & 2, with the option of building two adjacent units (Bellefonte 3 & 4.) The new units would be of the Westinghouse AP1000 design, which are a modular build with a projected construction time of only about 3 years, but a design life of 60 years. I've attached a PDF for the truly interested.

We are only one of many utilities across the United States who are now turning back to nuclear with the realization that it is safe, efficient, and carbon friendly.

On the subject of power storage... Check out pumped storage plants. Wikipedia has a short, but good article on our Raccoon Mountain facility. It uses left-over power from our nuclear and hydro plants during off-peak times to fill the reservoir, then generates extra (free) power during peak usage times. Basically, it acts as a HUGE battery and creates zero pollution. Raccoon Mountain Pumped-Storage Plant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

great information:beerchug:

The government needs more money for the people that just want to sit at home on their a$# and collect unemployment and food stamps. :thumbsup:

Back