Who invented the biker "whats up" stick left arm o

umairhashmi

Registered
When i first got my bike i didnt even know what it meant lol.But i always see that when bikers cross another biker on the street they stick out their arm in the official "Whats up" sign.When did this start? I mean i have a feeling its been around a long time since the older harley guys do it all the time.

Yeah when my girl was teaching me to ride and I would ride on the rear seat, she did the wave so I did it that day while on back evertime I seen a biker. She later told me that its a biker thing. I think it means that we are all together and need to stick together because we are the ones living our lives on 2 and its dangerous for us. Thats my interpretation though. I usually hold up a peace sign to show respect on our choice to be on 2, and we know how we can have it bad sometimes. Kinda like a deeper feeling inside really like be safe, we can go anyday, so live your life on 2 and ride till your hearts content.

I dunno kinda rambling but thats why I do it.

Mutual respect I guess.. peace, keep it on 2, hey. All that.

I try to do it to anyone on 2, but Harley guys respond like 1 out of 3 times. My peace sign seems to spring to the one finger salute when I don't get a response.
wow.gif
laugh.gif

From the books and documentaries I've read and seen, it comes from the post WWII era and moreso after Vietnam. The returning soldiers were getting into riding, and as they passed each other, they would hold out a peace sign as they passed.

Of course, I could be wrong, but that's what I've heard
blush.gif

From the books and documentaries I've read and seen, it comes from the post WWII era and moreso after Vietnam.  The returning soldiers were getting into riding, and as they passed each other, they would hold out a peace sign as they passed.

Of course, I could be wrong, but that's what I've heard
blush.gif
I resemble that statement (the Vietnam part  
blush.gif
) and I never heard that
wink.gif
. What I always heard was that it started in the Harley community after WW II and before Vietnam which indicated which bike gang (not club) you belonged to. They had different hand signals to indicate who they were  
rock.gif
. But most probably it was started by people just waving at each other and has now developed into just a hand out  
umnik.gif

blush.gif

I know "the wave" but if there's an official "What's up sign", what is it?

Moped dudes never wave back. Harley pimps do sometimes.
smile.gif

How about tapping the top of your helmet for a cop sighting, sorry PD busa just trying to keep a little bit of an advantage.

When I used to own corvettes, we would do the same thing. When you would pass another vette you would wave at each other. But that seemed to die down with the newer corvette owners around the time the late C4's and early C5's started coming out. But no matter what year I was in I still waved. And still do what ever bike I'm on.

I don't give the sign to the "harley" dudes first anymore. I let them wave first then i'll respond.
I used to wave first but most didn't bother to wave back.
So, now I know that whomever gives the sign whether it be first or second is true to our lifestyle no matter what they ride.

Left arm out below the bar height, two fingers extended (apart or together, your choice) for everyone on two wheels, if I see ya. You don't wanna wave back, so be it, but hey... ride on and be careful.

Out here pretty much everyone waves at another on two wheels. Doesn't seem to matter what you are on.

Mutual respect I guess.. peace, keep it on 2, hey. All that.

I try to do it to anyone on 2, but Harley guys respond like 1 out of 3 times. My peace sign seems to spring to the one finger salute when I don't get a response.  
wow.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

That's what I do, along with some comments in my helmet...too funny...
smile.gif

laugh.gif

it's just a way to wave and not have the wind catch your hand and arm and pull it back, which is what happenes if you put your hand up in the air like a retard. No special signifagance to it, just like country people waving to each other in their farm trucks. just being friendly.

it's just a way to wave and not have the wind catch your hand and arm and pull it back, which is what happenes if you put your hand up in the air like a retard. No special signifagance to it, just like country people waving to each other in their farm trucks. just being friendly.
The first time I did it at 100mph, it almost ripped my arm off.
wow.gif

I've figured out how to brace for it now.
ss011.gif

Back