Who has a 6.4 powerstroke or has ever owned one?

Thank you for the point of clarification. What is the additive they have to put in that makes that oil change so expensive? I talked to my service tech about it because we were discussing the differences in emissions from 07 to the new year models.

I know of no additional additives needed for oil changes. The urea is used for the exhaust regen process. Oil changes are as usual............

I know of no additional additives needed for oil changes. The urea is used for the exhaust regen process. Oil changes are as usual............

Now you have me wondering, or maybe my dealer was jacking me. I know I didnt dream this up. I will have to call to figure this, its driving me crazy. Again, thanks for clarifying for me bro. :beerchug:

You could also look into the V10 Superduties. My 2003 V10 is a BEAST for towing and got me 18 mpg on the way down to Texas and back (KS) the past couple of months. BTW, my V10 whoops my Dad's 6.0 F350 any day of the week!:laugh:

The urea is for NOx emissions reduction. The regeneration process is a seperate emissions control device, that collects the particulates to prevent them from being introduced into the atmosphere. In regen the soot is burnt out.

You can expect to fill the urea tank approximately every oil change, you get about a thousand miles per gallon out of it (depending on drive cycle), and the tank holds about 7 gallons.

The 6.7 is a pretty solid engine, no doubt about it.

After driving 7.3, 6.0, 6.4 and now 6.7L trucks, I would either go with a 7.3 or the new 6.7. 6.4's get terrible milage, and the 6.0 is a crapshoot.

I see you're using a weight distribution hitch, but the back end of the Excursion is sagging badly. Be careful, it looks like you may be towing more than you probably should.

A lot of Excursions will sway around a bit...mine doesn't and got me wondering why. Evidently most purchased the towing package but did not opt for the additional sway package. Has some pretty good size sway bars under mine and doesn't sway a bit.

Does sag about an inch or so the way she sits, and thought about bagging the rear end, however I can easily take that sag out with the dist hitch by taking it up one more loop but when I do that it gets close to the frame so I leave it at 4 instead of 5. Some adjusting on the hitch angle would help more but the sag really isn't very bad.

Last edited:

um... almost thought ya stole my ride lol

Picture 014.jpg

My brother has a 250 with a 6.4 in it and has had only minor issues with it. The truck has well over 100k on it. It is all in how well you take care of it and how you drive it. The guy that he got it from took very good care of it and gave him a file with all the receipts for the work that he did to it.

Something I probably should have added...this trailer has a 1300lb tongue weight, therefore needing the dist hitch. That's probably a bit much for the soft springs on an Excursion if going straight down, but at the same time it's rated at 11,500lb towing capacity.

I towed with the F250 the other day and it looks about the same.

Anyway, I'm happy with both...knocking on wood heavily as I type~!~ :laugh:

I think they are all ok if you leave them stock but if you mod them you run in to problems
had a 7.3 with a banks kit no problems just bad mileage. Traded it for a 6.0 and it ran fine until I modded it exhaust ,intake and tuner. After that had nothing but trouble spent a year in and out of shops then I got traded it for a cummings so far so good. A friend of mine has a 6.4 with some mods and hasn't had trouble yet 50k

Back
Top Bottom