Whistling Fuel Tank

My '96 9R did the same thing as does my '00 busa. Both did it especially in the heat, it's the gas cap seal squeeling from the expanding fumes in the tank. Least that's my best guess. I've never worried about it.

This is not a problem. It happens in ALL gas tanks. cars alike. I can't remember the exact reason but it has something to do with pressure and difference in temperature between inside and outside of the tank.

I do not know a fix yet just an idea.
Maine does not do it but all CA bikes do.
it has to do with C.A.R.B.

For those who don't know that is
California Air Reasouces Board

Got home from a long ride yesterday and shut the motor off. Then began hearing a whistling noise from the fuel tank. Opened the gas cap, air escaped and that was the end of the whistle.

It's a CA '00 model.

Anyone experienced this? What's happending? Anything to worry about?

I'm not sure if your message was meant to be sarcastic or what, but California bikes are sold in all 50 states, but the 49 state bikes or cars cannot be sold in California.

My 2000 Mitsubishi Diamante LS is a California car, but I bought it in Maryland.

I'm not sure what you're talking about with the Florida.

My ZX-11 wheezed through the gas cap and it was a California model, my 00 BUSA doesn't make a sound. Face it dude...You've probably got a CA model. That means you're probably down on horsepower too. My ZX-11 was until I ripped that California emissions crap out and re-jetted. It ran like a complete animal after that.

I know for a fact both previous bikes I owned were not CA versions, my busa is, I don't think the extra 2ish lbs of the carbon canister will kill me street riding. Fact is, all of them did the squeal, so do some of my buddies' VFR's and GSXR's that are 49 state bikes.

At any rate, the squealing is a normal thing from my experiences, if you have a legit reason why this shouldn't occur, I am ready to listen. And the CA thing doesn't jive.

CARB has absolutely nothing to do with it.
I lived in FL for years and my '92 Katana 600 did it along with the '96 ZX-9R I owned down there. Neither of the bikes were CA spec. It's just a fact that the fumes in the tank get heated up and raise the pressure in the tank, it escapes through gas cap lid seal which vibrates like a reed instrument. That's it, no magic or secret problems. Just consider the noise its way of crying to be ridden. :)

I have the same problem on a 00. Shouldn't the pressure vent from someplace else other than the cap seal. Shouldn't there be some sort of breather, vent, or over pressure valve to prevent this? Just wondering

You answered your own question...

It's a California model.

After having a 1992 ZX-11C California model.

I made sure that I didn't get a California model Hayabusa.

I guess all those years I lived in FL....I, I must have really been in CA....(at this point you'd hum the theme from the Twilight Zone). Either that or both dealers owned CA bikes and sold them to me under false pretenses.

Back