Which bike for safety course?

CWCobra

Registered
I have signed up for an advanced rider safety course to be held at a local community college in May of this year. I have two bikes: an '07 Busa, and an '06 Honda VTX 1300 cruiser. I was wondering which would lend itself to better use for the safety course. I pretty much ride both bikes an equal amount, with maybe a small margin in favor of the 'Busa. It's certainly more fun, but sometimes it's good to just slow down and take it easy. That's when the cruiser fits the bill.

Which bike for the MSF course may make no difference whatsoever, but I am interested in any advice or thoughts from those of you who have taken the course.

Thanks,
CW

Since you use both bikes evenly it's a draw. Use the one in the course that you feel the least familiar with.

I would suggest the bike you are going to ride more often. The easier of the 2 will be the VTX.

the advanced course is to get you more familiar with YOUR bike,so whichever you think you will ride more and you would like to have more contol over, you can always practice the techniques with the other bike on your own

the advanced course is to get you more familiar with YOUR bike,so whichever you think you will ride more and you would like to have more contol over, you can always practice the techniques with the other bike on your own

I tend to approach/push the limits more with the 'Busa... I guess that's the one I need for the class.

Thanks,
CW

I use mine 8-10 times a year in the course. It is more challenging than a cruiser, but when sportbike students see the busa doing exercises they don't complain about their bike not being able to turn.

Anybody know how much the Advanced Course is? Evidently I need an MSF course to be able to ride onto military bases. The beginner course is always packed in this area, and I think I've already moved beyond the beginner stage. Sure as h3ll hope so anyway. :)

Anybody know how much the Advanced Course is? Evidently I need an MSF course to be able to ride onto military bases. The beginner course is always packed in this area, and I think I've already moved beyond the beginner stage. Sure as h3ll hope so anyway. :)

Nothing wrong with the BRC. I have had students with 20+ years of riding tell me they learned something. I am not sure what the ERC costs but if you are a contractor or work on base you may be able to get into one of their courses.

I use mine 8-10 times a year in the course. It is more challenging than a cruiser, but when sportbike students see the busa doing exercises they don't complain about their bike not being able to turn.

No doubt. Mine is a bit more more of a challenge now that it has a 61" wheel base. I think the swingarm is coming back off in a couple of weeks!

CWCobra,

Clutch and throttle control are very important in the class. Start now with building strength in your hands so you won't tire quickly in the class. You will become very friendly with the friction zone in the class.

Friction zone?
You mean like revving a bit but slipping the clutch in order to go real slow? I'll work on that. I do it some in order to pull into my garage (tight spot, going up hill), but I haven't tried negotiating any figure 8's or anything.
Thanks for the tips,
CW

No doubt. Mine is a bit more more of a challenge now that it has a 61" wheel base. I think the swingarm is coming back off in a couple of weeks!

CWCobra,

Clutch and throttle control are very important in the class. Start now with building strength in your hands so you won't tire quickly in the class. You will become very friendly with the friction zone in the class.

Clutch control is definitely a must!
Prof - I don't know how you do it with that 61" wb.

Friction zone?
You mean like revving a bit but slipping the clutch in order to go real slow? I'll work on that. I do it some in order to pull into my garage (tight spot, going up hill), but I haven't tried negotiating any figure 8's or anything.
Thanks for the tips,
CW

Yes "slipping the clutch".
Practice u-turning in the width of 2 parking spaces.

si-lo said:
Clutch control is definitely a must!
Prof - I don't know how you do it with that 61" wb.

24' ERCs are not too bad. 20' BRCs are rough. I use all the box and most of the painted lines ;) The AF sportbike instructor course was really a pain. About halfway through I was tempted to go get Captain's bike.

I took the BRCII in 2006 and the ERC in 2007. This in spite of learning to ride about 1982 and teaching the courses from 1982 to 1984.

I was more than happy to take the BRCII as a veteran rider. If nothing else, it gave me a great practice session. I've been able to learn something new, improve on something old or become aware of myself as a rider in some way in virtually every course of any kind that I've ever taken.

The ERC was great course as well and I used my only bike at the time, the GS550ES. My classmates bikes included a CBR600, a couple of full dress HD's, a Ducati cafe, an Apirlia and several Japanese make cruisers. We all did well and we all passed the class. I'll venture to say that I had the easiest time of it as my bike had the ideal balance between riding position, CoG, handlebar configuration and a relatively small power plant to manage at the 30 mph and under speeds of the course.

As for whether or not to use the Hayabusa or the VTX? Well, I haven't ridden a cruiser as big as the VTX, but I believe each bike will have pro's and con's in the context of the ERC.

Hayabusa: Pro's: Rider CoG (a bit forward, but only slightly), shorter wheelbase (I'm assuming).
Con's: Bar type/full lock range.

VTX: Pro's: Bar type/full lock range.
Con's: Rider CoG (rearward, probably wanna scoot up on the seat as much as possible), longer wheelbase (again, I'm assuming this to be true).

Here's why:

1) Bars: Sport bikes bars tend to be good for small inputs, all that's usually needed at higher speeds. Cruiser bars tend to be easier to use and provide greater range of motion at low speeds such as those in MSF courses.

2) Fork lock-to-lock: Cruisers tend to have much greater steering range from lock to lock making low speed turns and slaloms easier to manage.

3) Turning radius: Sport bikes tend to have shorter wheelbases, requiring less room for low speed turns.

4) Braking: Cruisers are king here due to their longer wheelbases (no stoppies/flips) and heavier weights (more traction).

5) Cornering: Who wouldn't want the sport bike here? ???

6) Slow ride/5 mph riding: The cruisers comfort at low RPM and lower CoG and greater rake/trail is good, but it's offset rider CoG is bad. The sport bikes mated bike/rider CoG's is good, but the higher CoG and preferrer rev range is bad.

The fact of the matter is, that a skilled rider can take virtually any bike through the course and do well. I've seen all sorts of bikes come through and be just fine and I've seen lesser riders not be able to make it through comfortably regardless of the bike.

The choice is yours and you really can't go wrong. Like others have said, pick the bike that you want to improve with the most.

Best of luck!

IMO I would take the course twice once with the BUSA and Once with the VTX maybe not both this year but When you can.I did it two cosecutive years (course availability)with both my bike FJR and BUSA.Whether you take the course with one bike or the other you will take away more than you came with and that will help you ride safer period.It won't matter what bike your on.

RiderCoach in Trainning:thumbsup:

Back