Where To Live?

PDBusa

who, me?
Donating Member
Registered
Yes, It has been a while since I have been here. I'm sure there are more than a few who have no idea who I am, and even fewer who actually miss me... Hope everyone is doing well. There are a few I follow on FB, but for the most part I've been out of the loop.
At any rate.

I am looking at retiring and moving off of this Island within the next few years and really have no concrete idea where I want to go. I turn to you folks for some nationwide assistance with the best place to live. I mean if you are a member here, you must be of outstanding character and discerning taste. Post up your area, and the pros and cons of same.

-I'm looking for some acreage, about 10+, to be able to possibly build a MX track for private use, and otherwise be able to do as I please possibly including a small farm. A rural area with access to a larger town within easy drive, and possibly a larger city as well.

-I like the four seasons, but am not looking for oppressive heat or excessive snowfall. Once in a while is okay, but not for months at a time.

-I'm interested in the Mountains, or foothills. A mixture of open and wooded land would be nice also.

-I'd like to stay away from severe weather. No tornado's, hurricanes, etc

-All things like crime rate, medical availability, cost of living and what you get for it, etc. should be considered.
So what do my fellow .orgsters have?
Thanks all,
Charlie

Oh my, for what you are looking for research state laws for things that are deal breakers for you. personally, I recommend the mid west for your preferences.

Lynchburg Va
Internationally known for Liberty University.
20min to the Blue Ridge Parkway.
30 min in any direction has cheap land/housing in various counties.
4 seasons, warm usually April through November. Beautiful countryside.
Lynchburg is 45 from Dylwyn mx track, 1hr from Birch Creek, and about an hr and 15min from nationally known Lake Sugar Tree, and VIR.
Plus plenty of awesome land everywhere to build your own.
National Forest atv/dirt bike trails about 15min from Lynchburg.
All the stores, restaurants, businesses, you could need, and endless, quiet countryside just minutes away.
I've been in 40 states, and this is home(I'm about 20min south of Lynchburg) but I wouldn't live anywhere else as a sport bike, dirt bike and atv rider. Unless you like the desert.
Anywhere in Va (aside from Northern Va, DC) is a great place to consider.
It has everything you mentioned. Low crime, rarely severe storms, good cost of living, and great riding.
Good luck!

Last edited:
CHANK!!!

Remember you? Hell, I miss you sir! While I was home last time I wore the sweatshirt you gave me and had to explain to my wife what trailer pulls were!

I plan on trying to move to Tn when I am done here - or Va if I am fortunate enough to win the lottery.

Welcome back- stick around for a bit- the water's fine!

Thanks Shawn. Miss you too my friend. I'll try to stick around here for a bit. Haven't gotten another Busa....yet, but still have a "fleet" of Dirt Zooks!
I've been looking at Tennessee also. I really have no idea where I want to go. I just want to live on enough land to play with my toys and not worry about neighbors complaining.

Fayetteville/Fort Smith, Arkansas
Low cost of living, beautiful scenery, amazing places to ride in the Ozark mountains and a little north in the Mark Twain forest in Missouri, West of Fort Smith you have Talimena which is a truly beautiful place, and then of course you have the pig trail! It can all be in your back yard, and you can have as much backyard as you want! :bounce:
And of course not to mention, you're a few hours from Hot Springs Arkansas which is a great ride. I grew up around the Fort Smith area and went to college in Fayetteville, and I very much miss it living here in Kansas City now.
Lots of places and competition for mx in that area too, its an all around motorcycle playground, as well as atv's and side by sides!

One negative is the humidity, it seems to make winters colder and the summers hotter than other places. But you'll get that living anywhere down south. Not much snow, sometimes ice, I've always rode year around with no issues.

Smokey mountains, i think would fit you well! ,, A bit of everything.

And plenty of us would visit you!

I saw that avatar and I thought " Who's the low down dirty rotten no good avatar stealing" Then I saw it was you CHUCK! How in the H E C K are you sir....

Upstate NY. Many towns and smaller cities to choose from that fit the description you're looking for. 4 seasons, plenty of land, rural mountains, valleys low crime and great roads for riding. I do also like the recommendation of Lynchburg Va by sixpack. Im in the Va area but in Northern $$$$ Va which is a big$$$$ difference from the Lynchburg area.

I saw that avatar and I thought " Who's the low down dirty rotten no good avatar stealing" Then I saw it was you CHUCK! How in the H E C K are you sir....

I am well Doug. Hopefully things are also well on your end? Getting close to seeing the light at the end of the "having to deal with stupidity every day tunnel". Looking forward to possibly living a closer to normal life in the years to come. If I wasn't so paranoid about tornado's I'd be considering Oklahoma, but I just can't deal with the thought of them. Never experienced one first hand, but for some reason I have nightmares every so often.
I've been bouncing around here and must say I like the improvements and changes. Guessing you got rid of "that blonde" as your IT consultant and things immediately improved? :devil:
I miss my .Org family and the many good times and laughs shared. You've been bookmarked so I'l check in a lot more often!

Upstate NY. Many towns and smaller cities to choose from that fit the description you're looking for. 4 seasons, plenty of land, rural mountains, valleys low crime and great roads for riding. I do also like the recommendation of Lynchburg Va by sixpack. Im in the Va area but in Northern $$$$ Va which is a big$$$$ difference from the Lynchburg area.

I lived in Broome County for a few years while at college. My daughter is a senior at Cortland and I have been looking at land in that area. I think I may be better getting out of NYS all together though. I noticed the $$ difference in areas in Va. Is that just due to proximity to DC/coast /etc.?
Also looking in north and east Tennessee areas. Hoping Tim (GeorgiaBusa) can give me some info, he seems familiar with that area.

Thanks for the info so far folks. Keep it coming!

I am well Doug. Hopefully things are also well on your end? Getting close to seeing the light at the end of the "having to deal with stupidity every day tunnel". Looking forward to possibly living a closer to normal life in the years to come. If I wasn't so paranoid about tornado's I'd be considering Oklahoma, but I just can't deal with the thought of them. Never experienced one first hand, but for some reason I have nightmares every so often.
I've been bouncing around here and must say I like the improvements and changes. Guessing you got rid of "that blonde" as your IT consultant and things immediately improved? :devil:
I miss my .Org family and the many good times and laughs shared. You've been bookmarked so I'l check in a lot more often!

Your always welcome here and missed, hang out just for the level setting of people across the country if anything...

I lived in Broome County for a few years while at college. My daughter is a senior at Cortland and I have been looking at land in that area. I think I may be better getting out of NYS all together though. I noticed the $$ difference in areas in Va. Is that just due to proximity to DC/coast /etc.?
Also looking in north and east Tennessee areas. Hoping Tim (GeorgiaBusa) can give me some info, he seems familiar with that area.

Thanks for the info so far folks. Keep it coming!

DC IS what drives up the cost of living in northern Va.
Over 10 years ago, North eastern West Va saw a surge in land value, and many new 3-5k+ Sq ft houses.
As the NVA, DC, Maryland crowd had ran out of places to go

Lynchburg Va
Internationally known for Liberty University.
20min to the Blue Ridge Parkway.
30 min in any direction has cheap land/housing in various counties.
4 seasons, warm usually April through November. Beautiful countryside.
Lynchburg is 45 from Dylwyn mx track, 1hr from Birch Creek, and about an hr and 15min from nationally known Lake Sugar Tree, and VIR.
Plus plenty of awesome land everywhere to build your own.
National Forest atv/dirt bike trails about 15min from Lynchburg.
All the stores, restaurants, businesses, you could need, and endless, quiet countryside just minutes away.
I've been in 40 states, and this is home(I'm about 20min south of Lynchburg) but I wouldn't live anywhere else as a sport bike, dirt bike and atv rider. Unless you like the desert.
Anywhere in Va (aside from Northern Va, DC) is a great place to consider.
It has everything you mentioned. Low crime, rarely severe storms, good cost of living, and great riding.
Good luck!

Chank!!!!! Man, I do miss you and picking on you, and having you wipe down my Busa, and oh wait, you never stopped cleaning YOUR Busa long enough to clean mine!!!

I was going to suggest VA as well!!! Great roads!!

Well, I am not east coast like the rest of the gang so far so i will provide a little different input.

Iowa
plenty of open space.
fresh air.
good roads.
cost of living is nice.
people arent really nosey.
plenty of jobs in my area (council bluffs Omaha ne)
We get some snow but not much to really write home about too often.
I live 20 minutes south of the area and there is tons of things to do.
kc is 3 hours south
chicago 6 hours east
colorado is 5 hours west
we do get some tornados around the area but not regularly like south
plenty of good fishing in a 5 hour radius camping too.
we have road corse for bikes 20 min drive. numerous dirt bike areas and drag track.
tons of dirt track racing as well.
5 or 6 good bike shops in the area with tons of tuners as well.
Iowa side has very low crime rate.
Nebraska side a little higher but not out of hand.
summers can be a little humid but not killer. ave 87 degrees
winters arent too cold usually 20s and 30s though we do see some negative numbers occasionally.

Sure, she suggests Va..... what is it they say, keep your friends close and your voodoo dolls closer???? o_O
AND, by the way, if you remember correctly I was the first one trying to protect Ceasar from the elements at the Bash with TP. Hence the intimidation that followed....

post-12-39791-voodoodoll.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Viper. This is why I posted here. I know the .Org is a group of diverse folks from all over the continent....world. I appreciate input from all as there are places like Iowa that I'd never even thought of considering.

Back