Where do you rate on braking skills?

3. We often discuss how to brake - apply the front brake gradually (like squeezing a sponge), release gradually. What I don't see being discussed is how much braking effort needs to be applied to the lever at different speeds. A simple rule is - the faster the bike's speed is the more braking effort a rider can apply without locking the brake. The kinetic energy of the bike is proportional to the square of the speed - so is the stopping distance, but so is the amount of braking effort the bike will tolerate without locking. This means if a rider is slowing down from triple digits, the maximum pressure on the lever (after smoothly squeezing the lever) should be at the beginning of the braking process. As the bike slows down, a rider should be progressively releasing the brake lever. For the sake of specific example of braking from 120 mph, I would say apply 20 lb of pressure on the lever; at 90 mph it would be 12 lb, at 70 mph it would be 8 lb, at 30 mph, it would be 4lb, and at 10 mph it would be 1lb. The key is that if you plot the maximum lever pressure against the speed, you will get a non-linear curve. Roughly it means that if you safely apply 3lb of lever pressure at 30 mph, you can safely apply 9lb of lever pressure at 60 mph. Of course, this is all aproximate because a lot depends on the road conditions, temperature, etc. So, this skill needs to be practiced. There is no need to be precise as the theory goes.

What many do is they do not apply enough pressure on the lever at high speed - rather keeping the pressure constant throughout the entire braking period - the amount of pressure suitable for low speeds. This in turn greatly increases the stopping distance. They feel if they apply more pressure, the front will lock at slow speeds - and sure it will.

I have to say if someone would have told me "apply more brake then gradually release the brake to shorten your stopping distance" I would have told them they are crazy. But I see your point and it makes sense to me. In fact I know it's how I stop my truck so I don't get that rocking motion when coming to a complete stop. I will have to practice this on the busa now! Thanks for the great tip. :thumbsup::beerchug::bowdown:

Thanks for your efforts and accuracy in this post Steven, even the best riders must cover the mental analysis piece of high performance riding....as an ongoing rersponsibility!
Perfect time of year for puting it out there too. Doyle

I think I am pretty good with the brakes for the most part! I am teaching my girl friend Karen how to ride. She asks me how can she get better at braking? A lot of I practicing in a park lot and using cones... or cups into a shape of a rectangle and start shrinking it up as you get better. But set a speed first for example (10 mph) and see how quickly you can stop in the box with out locking it up and keeping the bike smooth. Then slowly raise the speed and try that a few more times and slowly shorting up the box. Take your time and learn to feel the brakes.... operate each one too so you can see which one has more power.... which one locks up too.. usually the rear! Learn how to ride out a locked up rear brake too. Practice Practice Practice! I try to find an empty parking lot and do what I wrote above. Especially after any brake mods done to my bike or even a new bike that may have been bought.

I have to say if someone would have told me "apply more brake then gradually release the brake to shorten your stopping distance" I would have told them they are crazy. But I see your point and it makes sense to me. In fact I know it's how I stop my truck so I don't get that rocking motion when coming to a complete stop. I will have to practice this on the busa now! Thanks for the great tip. :thumbsup::beerchug::bowdown:

Dang Nick, you are leaps and bounds ahead of me. It didn't make sense to me at all. The only time I relax the lever is when I feel the rear tire lift off the pavement. At that time I relax the lever slightly to get the tire back in contact with the pavement.

Once the front tire is loaded and the contact patch is expanded, the tire is not going to skid (Assuming the road surface is clean and dry). It will however lift the rear if you apply to much brake.

The only time I relax the lever is when I feel the rear tire lift off the pavement. At that time I relax the lever slightly to get the tire back in contact with the pavement.

This is pretty much how I do it, except committing some attention to the front locking up.

Take your time and learn to feel the brakes.... operate each one too so you can see which one has more power.... which one locks up too.. usually the rear!

Good info, I think it's important to get acquainted with a little bit wheel lock up. It does happen from time to time, usually at low speed but im sure the day is coming...

How many people involve the rear brake in the majority of their braking. I find that I rarely even use the rear anymore. i've been trying to find ways to incorporate it into my ridding that I am comfortable with. However between the normal dramas associated with using the rear combined with my horked up ankles I find myself not using it very often. It doesn't take many rear wheel lock ups before your putting stock in "forget the rear brake exists" method of riding.

Dang Nick, you are leaps and bounds ahead of me. It didn't make sense to me at all. The only time I relax the lever is when I feel the rear tire lift off the pavement. At that time I relax the lever slightly to get the tire back in contact with the pavement.

Once the front tire is loaded and the contact patch is expanded, the tire is not going to skid (Assuming the road surface is clean and dry). It will however lift the rear if you apply to much brake.

Sometimes lifting the rear is good (if talent scouts are watching).

Stephan, thanks for keeping safety in front of all of us... I for one know I always need work on braking, accelleration, turning, stopping, starting, hey wait I need lots of help....

Great timing, right before the bash getting these discussions going...

CAp

On a side note to a good post...

I believe that "untrained" statistic is actually directly in reference to a MSF style or better course..

only about 10% (8% according to the statistic) of riders ever take a MSF or other rider education/rider improvment course.

Its sad because this is where MOST good brake skills are learned, and why so many "self taught" riders grab a handful of front brake rather than leading with the rear brake...

there are other statistics i have seen associated with this showing of the untrained percentage, how many of them even have legal liscences and insurance, which is ALSO a very scary percentage honestly...

it comes down to a very simple thought...

Rider Education pays...

Mike1180 had the best analysis of all:

When there is an emergency situation, there is no time to learn how to brake!

Everyone should practice hard braking. Test the water and learn the limits of your ability as well as your bike. Chances are, at some point in your riding career, you will desperately need those polished braking skills.

I have read many threads on this site over the years when riders have fell simply because they didn't respond correctly to a braking situation. I went back through an old thread "Do you always use both brakes" a few days ago. Reading the posts on that thread stimulated me to write this thread. We have lots of comrades on here that really do need help with their braking. Most everyone has a happy throttle hand but it's those sneaky brakes that makes them nervous.

There are a number of other Braking issues that should be addressed as well. One in particular that I've never heard mentioned that comes to mind is: Did you know a lowered bike decreases it's braking ability? Yep, it surely does. A lowered bike is much more likely to lock the front tire as a result of being lowered. The lower the bike the more handicaped it becomes (Not to mention dangerous) in the braking department!

Mike1180 had the best analysis of all:

When there is an emergency situation, there is no time to learn how to brake!

Everyone should practice hard braking. Test the water and learn the limits of your ability as well as your bike. Chances are, at some point in your riding career, you will desperately need those polished braking skills.

I have read many threads on this site over the years when riders have fell simply because they didn't respond correctly to a braking situation. I went back through an old thread "Do you always use both brakes" a few days ago. Reading the posts on that thread stimulated me to write this thread. We have lots of comrades on here that really do need help with their braking. Most everyone has a happy throttle hand but it's those sneaky brakes that makes them nervous.

There are a number of other Braking issues that should be addressed as well. One in particular that I've never heard mentioned that comes to mind is: Did you know a lowered bike decreases it's braking ability? Yep, it surely does. A lowered bike is much more likely to lock the front tire as a result of being lowered. The lower the bike the more handicaped it becomes (Not to mention dangerous) in the braking department!

Good thread Tuf.
Lots of good info.

This is some really good info and thank you for sharing it with all of us. I have signed up for a track day. I am doing this so I can become a better rider on the street and have some fun pushing my 'Busa further in a safe environment.

This is some really good info and thank you for sharing it with all of us. I have signed up for a track day. I am doing this so I can become a better rider on the street and have some fun pushing my 'Busa further in a safe environment.

Good for you! Will this be your first track day?

Great stuff Tuff!
Thanks for sharing your knowledge with all of us!

I think I'll go practice some braking next week:thumbsup:

Been motivated (not always by choice) to practice braking a few times...

(notice my sig :laugh:)

Back