When to check chain slack? Hot or cold?

PJ267

Registered
Manual doesnt say when to check slack? After a ride when its hot expand? How much slack, thanks

i just give mine a quick tap with the toe before i take off. i dont do it every time but quite regularly

It doesn't matter if the chain is hot or cold when you check it, the slack will be the same. It is however better to lube it when the chain is warm.

Big dumb question... how often do you lube the chain? I'm coming from Harleys, and the last chain-drive bike I had was my GS1100GEZ in 1984. FWIW, my Bus has 1350 miles on it and had the 600-mile checkup.

I typically just give my chain a quick clean and lube every time I wash my bike which is about once a month. If you ride more, you'll need to check it more.

Some folks say every other tank of gas, that would be once a week for me as I go through about two tanks a week (and haven't really deemed it necessary yet).

Just keep an eye on it, if it starts to look gunked up and dirty, clean it up and lube it, if it looks pretty clean still, don't sweat it. ;)

But either way, I'd probably give it a good once over every month. Only takes 10 minutes or so.
thumb_up.gif

I think the manual says clean it in 600 mile intervals - the guy at the dealership told me I could prob go 1000 mile intervals - so I go in between the two or as the chain needs it.

peace.gif

Greg

I lube and clean my chain every 500 miles gererally. However if I've been riding really hard or I been in the rain, I will clean and lube it at the end of the ride.

I use 1" of slack when it's on the stand; that gives me about 3/4" with the suspension loaded whether hot or cold.

If we are to believe that the chain really expands or stretches that much after a ride when hot....then I would adjust it when its cold and maybe have it a little loose when hot. The alternative is adjusting it when its hot and then having it contract when it's cold and having it too tight. I don't want it too tight and binding up on the sprockets so....I'll adjust when it's cold but I don't really think it changes that much.

Lubricants expand in volume-liquid, greases less-so, much, chain components aren't thermal reactors...warm / cold, either or........

Back