Wheelie control

We need to ride together someday Sir! Maybe the Spring Bash? You will just have to get used to the fact that I am brutally honest.... You will ethier like me or hate me! I'll say we'll meet half way!:laugh:

I see to heads buttung here! :whistle::whistle:

I know you both!

unless you are just one of those unobservant individuals who dont pay any attention to what your bike is doing youll know immediately when the AZZ end starts to come out from under you, theres no feeling like it.

I think I've been guilty of being forgetful in the cold months and shifting hard from 1st to 2nd and getting that feeling. :laugh:

I have rolled quickly on to wot in first and the darn thing went to 12 o'clock, a light release keeps you there, but there's always the potential of getting a little freaked and closing the throttle. This bangs the front end pretty good and can damage fork seals when you come down. There's a video out on youtube, but it explains things from a lighter bike's standpoint. It is still valuable information. Hang on a minute.......

- HOW TO WHEELIE[/url]

from here, go on to this one

- how to wheelie[/url]

This will get you better educated. A Hayabusa is heavy, but can be controlled with practice. I used to think our camshafts were a bit loppy and that, and a long-turn throttle, were a PITB. I was wrong. If you're doing 1-5mph, and you roll the throttle more than 3/4's, you'll get immediate front end lift. If you're dead-set on this, and want to learn the finesse, find an empty trucking warehouse parking lot with lots of room and no traffic. Wear full gear, and work on it. Bear in mind that you're probably going to dump it, or at the very least, bump your nuts and berries a couple times. Get those knees in the tank indents early and squeeze before coming down.

Practice makes perfect, and using an old moto might be smarter... :super:

Last edited by a moderator:
You never know until you do it. You can always roll off the throttle. :thumbsup:

After riding my bike for a year and a half and putting 3250 miles on it I still have yet to crank it wide open in the lower gears for fear of a wheelie. My usual MO is to go thru 1st at 1/2 throttle and short shift (5k rpm) 2nd. At about 5-6k rpm Ill put it into 3rd and go wot from there. I want to be able to go wot in 1st and 2nd so how do I control it when and if it comes up? Lean down on the tank? Chop the throttle? Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

OK, getting back to your question, I understand your wnating to WOT and NOT wheelie or at least keep it to a min. Like I said before dont snap the throttle just roll it on smoothly. If your short shifting at only 5K... Dude there is a whole new world waiting for you above 8K :thumbsup:

HOWEVER, if you have only 3200 miles in a year and a 1/2 I think you need way more saddle time before experiencing the upper power of the busa. Start putting about 1000 miles per month and you will get more comfortable with the power and response and what to expect...

my 2 cents

OK, getting back to your question, I understand your wnating to WOT and NOT wheelie or at least keep it to a min. Like I said before dont snap the throttle just roll it on smoothly. If your short shifting at only 5K... Dude there is a whole new world waiting for you above 8K :thumbsup:

HOWEVER, if you have only 3200 miles in a year and a 1/2 I think you need way more saddle time before experiencing the upper power of the busa. Start putting about 1000 miles per month and you will get more comfortable with the power and response and what to expect...

my 2 cents

Thanks for the help gentlemen. I do have a service road nearby that I can practice on. Funny thing is I have wheelied my Mustang and am not afraid to pull the front end in a car but am terrified of doing it on my bike. I will try it by rolling into the throttle and see what happens. By the way, at what rpm does the rev limiter hit?

[QUOTE By the way, at what rpm does the rev limiter hit?[/QUOTE]

Just about 10,860 or so on my 06.

I'll meet you outside Danbury, CT and take you into Dutchess County, Ny for some trial runs.

Ask PDBusa, JohnStien, IG and half a dozen other L.I & N.Y riders to meet up for some help.

I'll bring the New England boys and we will share all the knowledge & tricks we know of, to have your proficency rating go thru the roof. :thumbsup:

P.S. My Busa is currently staged in Ct for year round riding. :please:

After riding my bike for a year and a half and putting 3250 miles on it I still have yet to crank it wide open in the lower gears for fear of a wheelie. My usual MO is to go thru 1st at 1/2 throttle and short shift (5k rpm) 2nd. At about 5-6k rpm Ill put it into 3rd and go wot from there. I want to be able to go wot in 1st and 2nd so how do I control it when and if it comes up? Lean down on the tank? Chop the throttle? Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

I love how so many are trying to help you wheelie.:whistle:

Like Kento & Mr biscuit Said above just roll into the throttle. On my bike (1k) I just progressivly roll into the throttle and by the time the front starts to come up (witch you are in control of how high up it goes since your progressivly giving it throttle) shift into second. If I go wot from a low speed I can kiss my azz good bye. Stay over the tank sit forward on the seat cover the rear brake and ride it out. If it comes up to high for you tap the brake or slowly let out of the throttle. If you let out to fast and then try to hit again (chop) your going to put it right back up in the air farther then it was when you let out of the throttle.

he wants to get to wot in first gear first... :laugh: trying to scare the guy?

my favorite wheelie is the one about mid corner when the front tire comes off the ground and you are still bending the corner... (not a good idea on cold tires :whistle: )

We had some good 4th gear power wheelies in NC (road dropping away during hard accel) weeeee!

We need to ride together someday Sir! Maybe the Spring Bash? You will just have to get used to the fact that I am brutally honest.... You will ethier like me or hate me! I'll say we'll meet half way!:laugh:

Do either of you per chance come to the spring Eureka MnG?
I don't know if the current financial situation will allow me to make it to the Dragon for the spring bash, but I'd like to ride with you all. I also have an interest in going around corners rather quickly and am always on the hunt for knowledge of how to do it quicker.

I've had an 88 zx-10 and the busa...I have never done a wheelie. I'll admit the thought of it does un-nerve me a little.???:whistle:

You haven't come close to riding your bike enough if you haven't experienced the front end coming up at least 3-6"... Just give it some time, let nature take it's course... trust me, you'll get there when you are ready :thumbsup: All you have to do is just back off the throttle ever so slightly, and your front end will come back down, then you can twist a little bit more to keep on hallin' :beerchug:

well common down :laugh: I have been chasing rabbits all last season and had some good progress on riding... sure plays hell on fuel mileage and tires but is fun wearing the sides off the tires before the center :)

track day is next on my list... probably Mid Ohio this spring...

Let me know when you do this track day, I may join you.

I do wheelies almost every time I ride, all I do is twist the throttle however I never get more than a foot or so off the ground.

Do either of you per chance come to the spring Eureka MnG?
I don't know if the current financial situation will allow me to make it to the Dragon for the spring bash, but I'd like to ride with you all. I also have an interest in going around corners rather quickly and am always on the hunt for knowledge of how to do it quicker.
I was at the last E.Springs MnG but there are a lot better riders than I to learn from.. I am lucky to get to ride with some very good riders over the last couple years with members here, BABusa, Busa159, RacerV, GixerHP and his buddy Mike, Jet-Li (really got fast this last year sheesh) and a good number of others... I think one of the best guys to start with would be Don (Rayabusa0818) as he is a "Pace" rider and it will do a couple things, teach you to be smooth, and build some confidence in your bike.

all the rest is just learning to push your own limits... keep in mind that some of these guys ride at a level that if you fall off concentration for even a moment, the results can be pretty catastrophic... Most of these guys are reluctant to let anyone go with on their quicker rides as going back to pick up a broken rider/bike that hit a tree is no fun..

Let me know when you do this track day, I may join you.
I want to do Mid Ohio as it is one of the closer tracks.. No dates published yet but it is on a "For Sure" list for me in 2009.. I would like to do 2 days with some one on one coaching..

I do wheelies almost every time I ride, all I do is twist the throttle however I never get more than a foot or so off the ground.
ditto.. not to mention the triple digit jaunts.. (right time and place for everything, 40 years of this madness and no tickets)

Last edited:
I was at the last E.Springs MnG but there are a lot better riders than I to learn from.. I am lucky to get to ride with some very good riders over the last couple years with members here, BABusa, Busa159, RacerV, GixerHP and his buddy Mike, Jet-Li (really got fast this last year sheesh) and a good number of others... I think one of the best guys to start with would be Don (Rayabusa0818) as he is a "Pace" rider and it will do a couple things, teach you to be smooth, and build some confidence in your bike.

all the rest is just learning to push your own limits... keep in mind that some of these guys ride at a level that if you fall off concentration for even a moment, the results can be pretty catastrophic... Most of these guys are reluctant to let anyone go with on their quicker rides as going back to pick up a broken rider/bike that hit a tree is no fun..

Um Hmm, really looking forward to this spring. Track days, MnGs, rides in general, gonna be a good time.:D

Back