Wheelie control

too many toys

Registered
After riding my bike for a year and a half and putting 3250 miles on it I still have yet to crank it wide open in the lower gears for fear of a wheelie. My usual MO is to go thru 1st at 1/2 throttle and short shift (5k rpm) 2nd. At about 5-6k rpm Ill put it into 3rd and go wot from there. I want to be able to go wot in 1st and 2nd so how do I control it when and if it comes up? Lean down on the tank? Chop the throttle? Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Throttle control, roll it on rather than snap it. Below is an example of me snapping the throttle... Becareful of hammering your butt to the hump when you hard shift from 1st to 2nd.

Busa_up3.jpg

before trying, go spend a little walking money on a used bike. that way if you lay it down it wont damage your nice busa... :)

if you are sitting forward in the seat and already rolling, any wheelie action is going to be very easy to control.. sounds more like fear factor than wheelie factor... get out there when it is safe and try it out..

put a 43 tooth on the back, will make it a lot easier. slide yer as$ all the way back and in first, whack the throttle while doing 40 mph

put a 43 tooth on the back, will make it a lot easier. slide yer as$ all the way back and in first, whack the throttle while doing 40 mph
he wants to get to wot in first gear first... :laugh: trying to scare the guy?

my favorite wheelie is the one about mid corner when the front tire comes off the ground and you are still bending the corner... (not a good idea on cold tires :whistle: )

We had some good 4th gear power wheelies in NC (road dropping away during hard accel) weeeee!

Last edited:
he wants to get to wot in first gear first... :laugh: trying to scare the guy?

my favorite wheelie is the one about mid corner when the front tire comes off the ground and you are still bending the corner... (not a good idea on cold tires :whistle: )

We had some good 4th gear power wheelies in NC (road dropping away during hard accel) weeeee!

We need to ride together someday Sir! Maybe the Spring Bash? You will just have to get used to the fact that I am brutally honest.... You will ethier like me or hate me! I'll say we'll meet half way!:laugh:

well common down :laugh: I have been chasing rabbits all last season and had some good progress on riding... sure plays hell on fuel mileage and tires but is fun wearing the sides off the tires before the center :)

track day is next on my list... probably Mid Ohio this spring...

well common down :laugh: I have been chasing rabbits all last season and had some good progress on riding... sure plays hell on fuel mileage and tires but is fun wearing the sides off the tires before the center :)

track day is next on my list... probably Mid Ohio this spring...

Look! If I come down, it is certainly NOT to see you! I have ulterior motives... We will prolly just meet in passing!:whistle:

After riding my bike for a year and a half and putting 3250 miles on it I still have yet to crank it wide open in the lower gears for fear of a wheelie. My usual MO is to go thru 1st at 1/2 throttle and short shift (5k rpm) 2nd. At about 5-6k rpm Ill put it into 3rd and go wot from there. I want to be able to go wot in 1st and 2nd so how do I control it when and if it comes up? Lean down on the tank? Chop the throttle? Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Like they said.

I learnt to wheelie on my dirt bike, only thing I do different to the posts already made, is I keep the right foot real close to the brake pedal for those long wheelies, so if she comes up too high I can get her back down with a slight tap.

like I posted above, just start winding the throttle open.. the bike will NOT just leap out from under you, the bike will be most controllable as it comes up.. (if it does) odds of it happening in second gear ? slim to nill (unless you TRY to make it happen)

When the bike starts to lift the wheel just stay steady on the throttle.. if you chop it shut, you will just upset the bike and make the ride that much tougher..

I'd be nervous jamming wheelies around a metropolitian area too.

You need to find some long, straight, flat, open spaces with no side road access.

Then bring someone on a Busa who knows what there doing, then drop-in behind and learn.:thumbsup:

BE CAREFUL I just ate mine:laugh: I ripped that throttle wide open with my weight on the tank it would never go up more than 1 - 2 ft even throwing second still wot ,only had to let off the throttle for a sec in 2nd an was back in it hard, but an unseen an unexpected dip in the road ruined a an extremely good launch of a truly awesome beast in the middle of 3rd gear. Best an worst launch on it to date:down: Btw I wasn't trying to ride a wheelie, was trying real hard to keep her nose down. **** happens I :please: for you........ watching a Busa flip an tumble down the road is one of the most painful things you can see especially when it's your own:whistle:

Last edited:
The genI starts getting torque e around 4K. As previously stated sit forward, lean over the tank and ease on the throttle. Also, worse than a wheelie in colder weather is the arse coming out from under you.

Back