What's up with the overuse of "Urgent Care" and the "ER" nowadays?!

Va I think it comes with heightened awareness and more awareness of infectious diseases.
Avian flu and all the others people panic over. Runny nose , fever, chills omg people panic and run to the er.
Maybe?

Also comes from a matter of convenience. I've got four hospitals and umpteen urgent care centers within fifteen mins of my house. The ER we visited quite frequently when Adam was under two cuz he would get super high fever and ear aches that would make him scream. He spent more than one night in the pediatric center.
I also think it is due to a lack of knowledge and old school remedies.
My mother had a cure for everything and they worked!
Sore throat? Little aspirin crunched up in a tablespoon of maple syrup would coat your throat and make it feel better. Now my wife wants to run for a script of cough syrup.
People all the way around do not rely upon themselves as much anymore.

Exactly. Ugly health issues have always existed, but now we all have the internet and read about the latest potential world killing epidemic every day. That leads to worry and panic with every fever. What used to be a simple fever is now seen as a potentially fatal infectious superbug...better get the ER, STAT!

Sounds like someone who doesn't understand health/healtcare very well and is afraid to "take a chance" with something that intimidates them. Understandable to some degree. While I might need push to take myself to the ER even over a broken bone, if anyone around me isn't well, I would want to do anything I could to try to help them. For those who don't know any better, taking a loved one to the ER unnecessarily might make them feel like they are "doing something" to help. Lord knows, the toughest thing is to realize/accept that all you can do is NOTHING when a loved one isn't well.

I honestly don't know with him. He went from a guy that wouldn't EVER go to the doc if he were dying, to going all of the damn time...he takes himself more than anything else, so I truly think he's afraid of dying or something...right now though, I see his knee-jerk reaction has overtaken common sense. Most parents do realize if your kid has a low-grade fever, feels kind of blah, it's not really enough to rush to the ER for...

'eh, what do I know...I'm just a Mom :laugh:

Exactly. Ugly health issues have always existed, but now we all have the internet and read about the latest potential world killing epidemic every day. That leads to worry and panic with every fever. What used to be a simple fever is now seen as a potentially fatal infectious superbug...better get the ER, STAT!

Yeah, and spread your infection disease to everyone else :rofl: Thanks!! :p

some insurances are actually higher copay's for the ER visit but EVERYTHING is covered after that vs lower copay and possible secondary charges. I agree though folks do tend to overuse these types of places.

I think fundamentally though its tied more to folks not having a primary care physician and the issues with finding/keeping one these days. A lot of folks seem to just go to the urgent care if they dont have kids for simplicity and a lot of "urgent care" facilities are actually standard family practices these days from what I've seen.

Va I think it comes with heightened awareness and more awareness of infectious diseases.
Avian flu and all the others people panic over. Runny nose , fever, chills omg people panic and run to the er.
Maybe?

Also comes from a matter of convenience. I've got four hospitals and umpteen urgent care centers within fifteen mins of my house. The ER we visited quite frequently when Adam was under two cuz he would get super high fever and ear aches that would make him scream. He spent more than one night in the pediatric center.
I also think it is due to a lack of knowledge and old school remedies.
My mother had a cure for everything and they worked!
Sore throat? Little aspirin crunched up in a tablespoon of maple syrup would coat your throat and make it feel better. Now my wife wants to run for a script of cough syrup.
People all the way around do not rely upon themselves as much anymore.

That's what I mean though...recall how prominant it was all in the news, DAILY! Shoot, HOURLY?! Where did all of that scare go? It just disappeared...makes you wonder :whistle:

Simple: There was royal wedding recently. Scare tactics are not currently needed for news headlines. I hear that the new couple just returned from honeymoon, never mind the latest health issues. ;)

As soon as we forget that the media is a FOR PROFIT business, first and foremost, we risk believing that everything they present is 100% true and that there is nothing more important than what they are presenting right now. News - it's just a business, like everything else. They don't get ratings or readership and they die. Their first directive is to survive. Second, they want profit. After those two points are satisfied (and the 2nd NEVER is), they'll consider unbiased journalism.

Simple: There was royal wedding recently. Scare tactics are not currently needed for news headlines. I hear that the new couple just returned from honeymoon, never mind the latest health issues. ;)

I don't think they were ever truly huge health issues...but they sure did capture the news and increase revenue to the medical field for a while, didn't they? :poke:

guess they enjoy paying the $100 copay for ER rather than the $35 copay for regular scheduled dr visit....or the up to an hour wait time or longer to be seen. not this guy. if it isn't severed or otherwise damaged. I'll just make an appt.

I completely agree on the pussification of America...in fact, I've been using that phrase for quite a while now to describe our response to several things nowadays.

I must say however, I am guilty of having taken my kid to an urgent care here recently as our primary pediatrician is always completely booked for at least 3 weeks to a month out. If we can hold out for the appointment, then we typically do. Otherwise, if the symptoms continue or even worsen, you bet your @$$ I'm taking him to the urgent care. I'll be damned if something neglectful happens on my watch because it came down to me being to cheap to take him some where to get looked at. And to be honest, when it comes down to it...everytime the situation has occurred where I may need to take my kid to the ER, it usually boils down to me not wanting to sit around a bunch of people who are sick and wasting my time because it usually ends up being a several hour ordeal.
Just like several other things in this society, I believe things like this to be a bigger reflection of our own shortcomings and personal issues that we pass on to our children.

But staying on topic...I usually only use the urgent care when the doctors have scheduled themselves several weeks, sometimes even months out. I've found it helpful to tell the scheduling nurse to inform us of any cancellations that may occur before our scheduled appt. It usually means that you have to act quickly due to such short notice, but it helps avoiding a trip to the ER or UC.

Um, isn't it fairly routine for doctors to leave some wiggle room in their daily schedules so that they can see patients that have urgent issues if they arise? I know that our familiy doctor is usually booked for weeks when trying to get a routine appt or follow up, but if we call with an urgent matter, they find a way to squeeze us in 9 times out of 10.

If that stopped happening, I'd be shopping for a more accommodating practice.

URGENT CARE was originally created for ppl who are not in life or death situations but cant get in to see their family doctors in time. It was designed to treat patients just long enough to make it through the wkend or night instead of cluttering up the ER for true emergancies (hense the 3hr wait times).

...just another reason for the government to give you a test shot of something.

GEEK ALERT!

X_Files_WP_4.png

illegal aliens use emergency rooms as a free visit to a doctor. Hospitals are required to provide appropriate medical screenings, and care to anyone who shows up regardless of citizenship, legal status or ability to pay. There are no reimbursement provisions. What this does is make the taxpayer the HMO to the world. This is overburdening hospitals. I fully understand some will see me as a villain for pointing out these facts. But I don't feel our country should be financially responsible for the failings of neighboring countries.

It should never be seen as villainous to simply present the facts. :thumbsup:

We can all thank Al Gore for inventing the internet and then WebMD for all of us "half-educated" doctors out there with EVERY symptom to EVERY disease, or other problem.. :banghead:

I think you're definitely on to something right here. Probably one of the few downfalls or negatives of having a "wealth of information" at our fingertips. Reminds me of the phrase, "Knows just enough to be dangerous".... :laugh:

Funny thing is, pre-internet, my first girl's family had this huge home diagnostic medical book that they would run to anytime they didn't feel at least 101%. My girl, in particular, was certain she had a new tragic malady every week or two, with NOTHING every bearing out over time.

Folks worry. And if they don't have a way to worry, the find a way. Or, some of us, don't. :)

Yeah, and spread your infection disease to everyone else :rofl: Thanks!! :p

That's a whole 'nother issue. Gotta love the person that wipes their runny nose one minute then reaches to shake your hand the next right before they grab the handle to the door out of the building as the pass by soap and water. When half the building is sick with the same bug over a 30 day period, then everyone wonders how they caught it since they hadn't shared a drink or food with anyone. :laugh:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

URGENT CARE was originally created for ppl who are not in life or death situations but cant get in to see their family doctors in time. It was designed to treat patients just long enough to make it through the wkend or night instead of cluttering up the ER for true emergancies (hense the 3hr wait times).

Was it meant to replace your family doc completely? Go there for the runny noses and coughing fits? I see it as a place to take little Johnny if he has a minor cut that you're a bit worried about, but he won't be bleeding to death and it's Sunday, ya know?

Um, isn't it fairly routine for doctors to leave some wiggle room in their daily schedules so that they can see patients that have urgent issues if they arise? I know that our familiy doctor is usually booked for weeks when trying to get a routine appt or follow up, but if we call with an urgent matter, they find a way to squeeze us in 9 times out of 10.

If that stopped happening, I'd be shopping for a more accommodating practice.

Easier said than done when you live Metro DC. I'm sure you're probably being overrun by medical practitioners in that area. It's a different story around here. We have 5 pediatricians (2 of which are very reputable), and they're all in the same annexed hospital building. :banghead:

Man...I gotta get outta here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Easier said than done when you live Metro DC. I'm sure you're probably being overrun by medical practitioners in that area. It's a different story around here. We have 5 pediatricians (2 of which are very reputable), and they're all in the same annexed hospital building. :banghead:

Man...I gotta get outta here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More reason to come further south and enjoy the country side :thumbsup:

But, I will say, while we all have our designated family docs and see 'em when we can, my kids and I do see nurse practitioners more often and get the same results. If you have that option, your wait is shorter, and the chance of getting an appt is greater :thumbsup:

I think part if it is people don't want to take the time off. It comes from a society of instant gratification. " I don't have time for me to me sick, for the kids to be sick, for any inconvenience in my life. I see this every day working with college kids. They call and need to be seen immediately. You ask why and they tell you, "They don't have time to be sick". People need to slow down and let their bodies heal. We burn the candle at both ends and then want it fixed with the magic wand. Sorry for the rant, but when you work in health care you see it all. And the bottom line is, even if they have insurance, it is not always paid at 100% and you can not be turned away from receiving care if you have not paid your bill. Regular offices can refuse care if you are delinquent with your payments.:rulez:

I think part if it is people don't want to take the time off. It comes from a society of instant gratification. " I don't have time for me to me sick, for the kids to be sick, for any inconvenience in my life. I see this every day working with college kids. They call and need to be seen immediately. You ask why and they tell you, "They don't have time to be sick". People need to slow down and let their bodies heal. We burn the candle at both ends and then want it fixed with the magic wand. Sorry for the rant, but when you work in health care you see it all. And the bottom line is, even if they have insurance, it is not always paid at 100% and you can not be turned away from receiving care if you have not paid your bill. Regular offices can refuse care if you are delinquent with your payments.:rulez:

Yo, what's with holdin' back on the magic wand? Give it up! :laugh:

There are days when I feel that way too...work FT, missing time from work is really hard most days with the work load, etc. But still, most doc offices will work with you. I have yet to be turned away for anything, even if I owe a balance. Pay a pmt or something...jeez, what's up with society today? No one understands payment plans anymore? There are times in life when that's an option if times are tight, and most offices work with you. ???

Back