Whatever happened to karma?

MC MUSTANG

Peace Keeper or Ban Hammer-it's up to you; IDMBT#9
Staff member
Administrator
Registered
Okay, I rode Bessie into work today (back riding after two weeks due to moving). So, as I am riding, she feels a little sluggish, especially cornering, so I pull over into a gas station and check the tires: 24 in both front and rear. I have 75 cents in my pocket, and air is 50, so I am good - I pump up the front tire, move to the back when I notice a man trying to push his car into the station with a flat tire. He is having problems.....as you friendly neighborhood Marine, I felt a moral obligation to help this guy. But, as we get his car off the road, I hear the air machine stop.

I get the guy taken care of, he leaves and I turn back towards Bessie. Then this you dude (20/21
rock.gif
) comes up to use the vacuum and breaks out a ROLL of quarters. So I think, hey I've done a good deed, lets see how this works. I say excuse me, but do you have a spare quarter? All I have is a quarter and the air costs .50 cents. He slams the roll into his pocket and says Nope. I got no spare change. Then turns his back on me. So, I take a five dollar bill out of my wallet to go and get change. Now, when I walk back to the bike, I'm a little annoyed. Right or wrong, I'm annoyed - and get even more so when I come out and dude is standing there staring at Bessie. So I come out and start the air machine and pump up the back tire. Afterwards, he starts with - Hey man, are you in the military?

Okay, now I flat get mad. Unreasonable - yes, but here's my explaination:
I have a big DoD sticker on my front left tube. I have a big Marine Corps emblem on my hump AND I like to think I look like a Marine.
This dude then proceeds to say that if he had known that I was in the military, he would have given me the quarter. WTF? Why do I deserve common descency for being in the military but not for being human? His parting shot?
rock.gif

Hey, that was really cool the way you helped that old guy with his tire.

rock.gif

Sounds like he needed some act right. Next time punch him in the uvula for being a friggin tard.

Yeah,
I pretty much felt the same as all of you....

Uh... you said the key thing.. he was 20/21... them kids ain't got no common sense.

What a "maroon".

Not taking up for him or his actions, but he probably thought you were gonna just take some money. He probably got a little nervous being approached by someone asking for money. You know how some kids are!! Then he saw the stickers and stuff and didnt see you as a threat (being an upstanding marine), so then had second thoughts about being stingy. Not an excuse, but just and idea.

karma will work it's way back to ya, bro....just let this one slide. At least it was you he was dealing with and not some on-the-edge psycho who woulda deprived his mother of a son.

I know it's hard to fathom, but sometimes we are meant to meet up with certain people...perhaps to teach them something or to learn something from them. Who knows? maybe you could have taught him a valuable lesson that day: observe before opening your mouth.

But I'm with ya, though....that wasn't a very nice thing to do. Hopefully he feels like an idiot enough for the rest of us. And maybe, just maybe...you'll be the inspiration for him to do a good deed for someone else down the line, no questions asked.

Just a thought.
cool.gif

relocate his spleen? People in general are not very smart or well mannered any more. Best we can do is raise the next generation to be better than that

You had plenty of money in your pocket, yet you wanted this dude to give you the quarter for free so you wouldnt have to change your $5.

How does that make this guy an #######?

Is it because it was just a quarter? What if he got just enough quarters to air his tires, and wash his car? Or maybe he had a couple quarters less than he needed, but was afraid the machine wouldn't accept a couple quarters while he was in the middle of whatever he got himself the quarters for.

Frankly, enough people in this world ask someone for a quarter. It gets old. Some people adopt the policy that they arent giving ANYONE a damn quarter, just to avoid the hassle of trying to figure out if they really NEED one, or are just some jerkoff bum.

As for Karma, - coming here and bitching about it simply evaporated any karma you may have accumulated by helping that old man.

If you werent such a phony, you might have gotten some good karma payback, but you dont understand karma, and you think that poor dude owed you a quarter for your decision to help some other old man.

if I believe correctly, the young guy had ROLL of quarters....isn't a roll of quarters like $10? The kid had more money than he did...MC had $5.

It was just about returning a kind gesture...karma.
rock.gif

You had plenty of money in your pocket, yet you wanted this dude to give you the quarter for free so you wouldnt have to change your $5.

Is it because it was just a quarter?  What if he got just enough quarters to air his tires, and wash his car?  Or maybe he had a couple quarters less than he needed, but was afraid the machine wouldn't accept a couple quarters while he was in the middle of whatever he got himself the quarters for.

Frankly, enough people in this world ask someone for a quarter.  It gets old.  Some people adopt the policy that they arent giving ANYONE a damn quarter, just to avoid the hassle of trying to figure out if they really NEED one, or are just some jerkoff bum.

As for Karma, - coming here and bitching about it simply evaporated any karma you may have accumulated by helping that old man.  

If you werent such a phony, you might have gotten some good karma payback, but you dont understand karma, and you think that poor dude owed you a quarter for your decision to help some other old man.
Actually, I would have given him the quarter, it only takes a few seconds to air up a motorcycle tire, and then I could have put air in my tires also and it probably wouldn't have cost any more, we could have shared the quarter. The guy also could have put air in his tires then let MC use the remaining.

I do understand the kid's response to some degree, it seems we are bombarded with people wanting something everywhere we go.

On that note, you guys who visit Florida, save your money for the bums in your own hometown, giving it away down here is attracting more and more of them.

Kevin

Is it because it was just a quarter?  What if he got just enough quarters to air his tires, and wash his car?  Or maybe he had a couple quarters less than he needed, but was afraid the machine wouldn't accept a couple quarters while he was in the middle of whatever he got himself the quarters for.

Frankly, enough people in this world ask someone for a quarter.  It gets old.  Some people adopt the policy that they arent giving ANYONE a damn quarter, just to avoid the hassle of trying to figure out if they really NEED one, or are just some jerkoff bum.

Wow, a phony - strong. I completly understand your post...and I obviously misstated my post OR you missed my point:
If the guy didn't want to give me a quarter - sure, fine, cool. But why would he have given me the quarter just because I was in the military and not because I was a guy who needed a quarter.
Why would he treat me like a schmuk by shoving his hands in his pocket and to hide the change he just broke out of the roll two feet away from me, then proceed to tell me how cool it was that I helped the other guy.

As far as oweing me a quarter - you missed the fact that I was focused on why he would have based his decision based on a group of people that I belonged to -

As far as burning my karma, maybe I have done that - but I thought it would be better to vent here, right or wrong, than to have said anything negative to the guy at the gas station.
But - thanks for the comments, hadn't looked at it like that. This place is always good for other points of view.
thumbs-up.gif

Back