What to do when you lock up the rear tire.

I've said plenty about the rear brake before and it can be searched on the board.

I'll add that a good way to go about learning to survive a skid is to take a dirt bike class. There, they will teach you a world of things including how to use the rear brake effectively and with intent.

The rear brake is like fire or any other tool. If you learn how to use it right, it will serve you well. Not using it at all can be just as harmful to yourself as using it badly. I always recommend that you take the time and effort to learn to use it and then use it.

--Wag--

I've been riding all my life, but only consider myself an average rider.
I have been using front and rear brakes together since day 1. If you are afraid of the rear brake and don't learn how to use it properly at times you could get away without using it, you are going to be in real trouble
when you do need it.

I can use it, and I guess I really do use both brakes when exiting a highway and all that, but my riding is primarily 35mph cruising up and down the strip. So, when I even use the brakes (when I don't have time to downshift and use the engine to slow down), I pretty much just use the fronts.

and he breathes life into a year old thread.....

what is high side vs low side....both sides of my bike are the same?????

High side pole vault

220126_Jorge+Lorenzo+suffer+heavy+crash+at+Shanghai-1280x960-may2-10.jpg.preview_big.jpg

Lowside dump.. note tucked tire.. the other way is to swing the back tire out..

FalcoCrash1.jpg

Now for the live action shots :)

High Side:

And lowside:

Last edited by a moderator:
If the rear locks, keep it locked.

To maintain control of the bike when the rear is locked up;

If you have straight road in front of you, look at the horizon(straight ahead) and keep the handlebars straight. The rear end will fishtail from side to side behind you, but it won't come around.

If you're in a corner and don't have the skills to control it, like everyone else is saying. Lowsiding is much better than high siding.

yep. what he said. the principle is the same as when you was a kid skiding your bike tire.

Man, that brother was bucked right off.....thanks that is what I thought was meant. Lay it down gently, man.

Hmmm. IIRC, you can only lock up the rear brake, if you use it. I don't.

Now, if the rear tire gets locked up due to mechanical failure, then we are in a yucky position.

Through my driving courses as a truck driver (some pretty cool skid-pad stuff), and as a past auto-x racer, I know that the reason for a spin/slide-out is because the tire that is locked is actually traveling faster than the tire with traction, because of loss-of-friction issues.

Thus far, the only thing I can come up with in terms of what NOT to do is this:

In the event of a rear tire lockup, DO NOT apply the front brakes. Do your best to ride it out. You would think that by pushing yourself to the rear of the bike would slow down the slide factor, because your weight would add friction to the sliding tire, thus slowing it down. But, I don't know if that's necessarily the case.

Can you think of any situation you might be in, when the rear brake locks due to a mechanical failure that applying the front brake might be the right course of action?

cheers
ken

What...there is a rear brake on the bike... Ok, many may disagree, but the rear brake will most likely get you into more trouble than out of trouble, unless you are pretty talented. Well, I'm not that talented, so I have conditioned myself not to use the rear brake. Sure there are some instances in which I will use the back brake, but they are not in any type of "situation"...

Just my two cents... now flame away...

:thumbsup:
You got it right..good post

Rear brakes...those are fun for practicing sliding your ass end out sideways around a corner...I like to simlulate drifting on my bikes around corners sometimes to practice this skill....

I never use my rear brake while riding...I downshift and use front brake...Ill occasionally tap my rears in a high speed corner to balance or grab down a bit more in a corner entry...but thats it...

Practicing locking up at slow speeds and then regaining control can save you someday...Works really good when your tires are close to toast though...I would not practice on a new set of wheels...

Excellent post.

Rear slides probably mean that you're not using the front brake as much as the rear. I'm guilty of this, probably because I came from motocross, where the rear brake is used as much for control as for braking.

:thumbsup:
You got it right..good post

maybe a good point to get into the ABS debate????:whistle:

I use the rear brake, but I know it locks up real quick. Unfortunately in an evasive and quick situation this can cause you to lay it down quick. I personally could use ABS on the rear

if you are not using both breaks you don't know what you are doing and in a much greater risk of going down. In all the classes I have taught just about every time a student has dropped a bike it has been due to locking the front break. You can lock the back break and keep it up pretty well. Bikes have front and back breaks for a reason, learn how to use them before you get hurt.
Posted via Mobile Device

maybe a good point to get into the ABS debate????:whistle:

I use the rear brake, but I know it locks up real quick. Unfortunately in an evasive and quick situation this can cause you to lay it down quick. I personally could use ABS on the rear

Don't start that again....:whistle:

if you are not using both breaks you don't know what you are doing and in a much greater risk of going down. In all the classes I have taught just about every time a student has dropped a bike it has been due to locking the front break. You can lock the back break and keep it up pretty well. Bikes have front and back breaks for a reason, learn how to use them before you get hurt.
Posted via Mobile Device

MSF instructor?

It's brake folks not break.

Just a friendly heads up. :thumbsup:

cheers
ken

I need a brake from all this break talk.........:rofl: Now where is my dictionary...:whistle:

Compare the two

Low Side. The fall is about 32 inches. The initial impact is on the strongest part of my body, my legs and hips.

High Side. You are lifted slightly and now falling from 50-70 inches in height. There is a higher tendency to land on your head, shoulder, and chest. Ribs and worse"¦neck and head impact are more likely to occur. Once you have it the ground"¦. Look back.. there is a 600lb motorcycle coming at you.

I've had plenty of both racing cross country and motocross. There is no doubt in my mind which one hurts worse. I'll take a low side any day.

Improper braking is the initial cause. The really need to be focused on.

It is actually possible to release the brake. But it can only be done if the wheels are close in alignment. I haven't had a lockup happen on the busa, but I have had the back in hanging out while the back was spinning from a drag race launch gone bad on two occasions. Immediate chopping the throttle can have the same results.

Rick I was there on both of those if you remember... I vividly recall the one at night when the track was slick...

Professor launched, took off down the track and the bike shifted and the back end started out to the side..... I thought to myself right then " Bought and paid for ". Professor never let off the gas, somehow pulled it back inline and finished the race... Was a sight to see for sure...

Rick was in the trailer for at least 30 minutes cleaning out his leathers, never did get that smell out~!

Cap

The only time so far I've ever tried to make my rear tire slide out on a corner was when my front tire tucked exiting a tight corner (the tire was shot). I throttled up until the rear tire was outside of the front and the front tire grabbed again. I kept the throttle steady and the bike straightened back up. The rider behind me said he knew I was going down. I was too busy trying not to. I did feel the need to change my shorts afterwards, but I learned I can use my dirt bike skills on a road race track.

Back