What to do after 2.5 years of sitting-2003 Busa

1slowbusa

Registered
I have not rode my bike in almost 2.5 years but I start it up about 2-3 times a year and let it get up to operating temperatures.

I am planning on riding it again soon. What do you guys recommend I do before I start riding it again?

Brake fluid? Oil, filter? What else?

Thanks

All of the above and then some..... Probably gonna need all new fluids, plugs, and tires

I would before doing anything see if it will go in gear and not move with clutch pulled in.. almost everyone I have done has stuck clutch plates and will cause issues.

Ok thanks. I did use stabilizer and the bike has been inside. I actually moved the bike back in september and the clutches felt fine. I think a good tune up and fluid change will work. the tires have about 2000 miles on them but for sure i am going to check them.

Ok thanks. I did use stabilizer and the bike has been inside. I actually moved the bike back in september and the clutches felt fine. I think a good tune up and fluid change will work. the tires have about 2000 miles on them but for sure i am going to check them.
Tires should be fine. Did you have it on stands ? You don't want a 2013 :laugh:

yes it has been on stands. I would love to have a 2013 but the finances dont cover it right now and the 03 is paid for.

My '06 has a nasty miss after sitting for a few years. My best guess is a gummed up injector. I swear letting a vehicle sit is worse than about anything you can do on the road.

They're not kidding on the tires, the first time I went down was because of a bike that sat for a period of time, the (brand new years ago) tires were trashed.

A full service should do the bike good. Tires , seals , brakes like everyone else mentioned. I would get a mate along while servicing the bike. 2 pairs of eyes are mostly better than 1 and that way the chances of missing out on something essential decreases.

Back