What temperature is "tolerable riding conditions"

What temperature is "tolerable riding conditions" - (with no wind chill factors at stop)

• 10-20 degrees F

Votes: 155 100.0%

• Total voters

livefree1300cc

Registered
I keep seeing these random posts about guys and girls speaking of weather affecting there riding.---speaking of "can't wait till nxt week to ride..it's supposed to be 60". C'mon, if you ask me, keep the temp. at 40 or above and I'm fine. So what is acceptable to this pool of voters? We will see, but i am guessing the cold tolerance riders enjoy riding more? I dno...maybe I'm wrong. Keep in mind different areas are different weather. Feels like and actual can vary alot in temperature...I know.

In Florida, anything below 70 is heavy coat weather. We are sissies.

If it's lower than 50, I ain't riding. I just don't have the correct gear for cold weather riding. Considering it's only cold for about a month.

If I had warm gear.. I'd ride.

I can ride in the snow and be comfortable.. the problem is the bike.. I run corsa3's and when the temp gets under about 45-50 degrees, they get greasy and I do not like slip sliding a round.. that kind of takes the fun out for me.. other than that temp does not make any difference to me.

Well also...i wear my under armour pants and a neck gator and differnet gloves ...and a thicker layer under jacket. So maybe thats alot of extra gear to consider but still, those are some of the best days once the tires are warm.

Thanks for the replies

I've ridden in the mid to high 20's and have come to realize that you need a source of heat for the ride to be enjoyable. I'm looking at some electric clothing to replace the body heat taken by wind chill.

The real payoff is when your bike is the only one in the parking lot when the temps come out of the 30's and into the 50's during the day. That's when all of the others rider's wished they'd ridden.
thumb_up.gif

With the right gear, I have been comfortable riding below 30. I prefer not too, but when I need to scratch that itch, its nice.
beerchug.gif

It depends....I'll ride to work down in to the upper 20s as long as the afternoon ride is in the 50s!!!

I keep seeing these random posts about guys and girls speaking of weather affecting there riding.---speaking of "can't wait till nxt week to ride..it's supposed to be 60". C'mon, if you ask me, keep the temp. at 40 or above and I'm fine.  So what is acceptable to this pool of voters?  We will see, but i am guessing the cold tolerance riders enjoy riding more? I dno...maybe I'm wrong.  Keep in mind different areas are different weather.  Feels like and actual can vary alot in temperature...I know.
hey man
welcome.gif
to the org. small world you live in that small town murfresboro. My church every year have a mens retreat at the Bill Rice Ranch. It started as a school for the blind.

my vote was 41-50 but if i get a bur up my butt ant havnt rode for a while (3 wks) ill button up and at least go for a 10 minute ride. i guess its like therapy cause my wife says i get edgy when its been too long...but i dont agree.
poke.gif

45 AND ABOVE IS FINE WITH ME, BUT ROAD CONDITION FACTOR GREATLY INTO THAT EQUATION........."ABSOLUTELY NO SALT"

I have rode in the teens but "typically" I stay inside with any temps under mid 40's.

Since I do mainly 200 miles (short trip) at a time, 50F to 60F is really as low as I go so I'am comfortable
ThumbsUp.gif
. Below that, with all the extra cloths and the stiffness it brings
poke.gif
, riding is just not FUN ! Also, 50F and 50 mph is the Freezing level, which when the leathers get Cold soaked, there is NOTHING that can make me comfortable
sad.gif
. And if I'am not comfortable, why ride
dunno.gif

Usually draw the line @ 40 but I have the gear and sometimes ride colder. I just don't like to wear all that stuff.

Anything below 45F and I drive. I don't have gear for that. 45F at 80mph is cold for me.
wowold.gif

I got stuck riding home from work one day (60 miles) with it about 31F outside. I couldn't feel the tops of my thighs for about an hour and a half after I got home.

I ride until the road isn't rideable. I commute everyday in the low 20's and once you factor in the wind chill it's chilly lol

Fortunately I live in Arizona so weather is usually not a problem. Hot in the summer, but we heard for the mountains when its hot, and leave early. When I was still in the Marine Coprs I used to cummute on weekends between Newport News, Va. and Jacksonville, North Carolina and there were several chilly days during the winter.

Back