What is the quietest helmet

theorhetically... a shoei. check the spelling on those 2...
I'm tired.

The Sho has the shield that covers the hardware that holds the shield, Arai , and some of the others let wind travel across the front of the screen and then into some sort of cover thats designed to hide the screen mounting hardware...
avoid those...

I'll see if I can find the required site...

one moment please...

please stand by...we are experiencing technical difficulties

Thanks Rubbah. It's http://www.shoei.com/

The X-11 was one that I'm looking at also. Now I'll have to see how the canidates fit my melon.

beerchug.gif

theorhetically... a shoei. [/QUOTE]

Yep, thats what ive been told as well , I have an Arai and its on the noisy side but it has vents to allow better hearing.
smile.gif

Ear plugs are the way to go.

hjc was the quiestest helmet I ever had... shoei rf9 was the loudest..

Wear Ear plugs. I recommend HearO's $1.29 or something.

You can still hear EVERYTHING you need to and it is much nicer on the longer rides. Takes a little while to get used to, but now I love em. The wind noise in any helmet over a long period of time is enough to damage your hearing.

If you are so concerned about "wind noise", then the solution is simple. Get a helmet wind scarf. It goes over the underside of the helmet where your head goes. But it leaves a smaller hole so you stick your head through and it basically conforms to your neck size.

This is where the wind gets into most helmets. To block that area will reduce the wind noise significantly. You wont have added any weight to the helmet, and you wont have changed how much sound enters your ears.

You will have simply changed the amount of "wind" that gets into your earspace.
Any suggested sources for a wind scarf? That might help keep the dust out of my contacts also.
Turtle Fur. Kicks butt for keeping the cold wind off the neck.

I have a shoei x-11 which is quite a noisy helmet due to it's awesome ventilation which is a must here in Texas, I wear earplugs cuz the wind noise gives me ear aches, I have not used a communicator yet but from those folks I know that have tried it say the earplugs actually help you hear at higer speeds cuz they block the volume lvl so that the other folks can run thier vox higher for better transmission at higher speeds. Oh, and BTW don't be worried about hearing traffic with the plugs in just make sure you buy some good plugs, I hear fine with mine in they just block out that annoying wind rustle.
Jay

Don't see many studies on Helmet noise. Helmet reviews is closest going to get. There was a Study on helmet noise with graphs of decibels at different speeds. It turned out Shoei RF800 was quietest at safer decibel levels.
Helmet reviews.
Heard that more contraptions on the helmet makes it louder. There's two type of Rider heads. A Shoei head and an Arai head
biggrin.gif

Don't see many studies on Helmet noise. Helmet reviews is closest going to get. There was a Study on helmet noise with graphs of decibels at different speeds. It turned out Shoei RF800 was quietest at safer decibel levels.
Helmet reviews.
Heard that more contraptions on the helmet makes it louder. There's two type of Rider heads. A Shoei head and an Arai head
biggrin.gif
Yup, I hafta agree I couldn't find an arai of any type that fit me as well as the shoei x-11. And I only say it's loud because the ventillation is so good on it, it's like not wearing a helmet at all as far as the wind is concerned.
Jay

Ear plugs is the solution, you can pick one that only reduce the noice level with 15 Db. The best I ever had was a pair of mucisians plug for $100.

Full face helmet - 45 m/h - permanent hearing damage after 8 hours.

Full face helmet - 80 m/h - permanent hearing damage after 30 minutes.

Check out the Db table on the helmet area of aerostich.com.

Swede

I use the Shoei- X11!! Find it to be really quite.... its better than the Suomy SPEC 1R or HJC that I use. Really quite... strongly suggest it!

Virtually Eliminates Wind Fatigue & Wind Roar - Fits in Seconds.
# Designed to fit all full race motorcycle helmets.
# Dramatically reduces noise fatigue.
# Vented to reduce visor misting.
# Manufactured from waterproof Neoprene with a supersoft towelled lining.
# Attached by means of an integral non-slip band, which allows removal and refittiing in seconds.
# Makes all kinds of motorcycling quieter and more comfortable.

ITS actually called a WIND Helmet SKIRT. not a wind scarf, sorry.

stopwind_large.jpg

That wind skirt looks like it might be the ticket...anyone know of any vendors that sell them?

Back