What does a CA biker think about

I'd rather split traffic like that, then the accidental split b/w on-going and on-coming traffic...rasies more hairs on the back of the neck than I like.

The lead-in song is from Gary Jules called Mad World, its a remake of the Tears for Fears song. I like it also.

And if u thought Cali was nutz   check this :

Japan :    
lane split[/url]

Crazyest Ever!
Paris :

Last edited by a moderator:
HeavyBusa & mymaster have come closest to the point.  When splitting lanes you think about not becoming a grease spot on the road, but you get into the ebb and flow of the traffic, harmony with the machine and your environment.  I like savoring those moments on open stretchs of road when you can let your mind open up to the sound, smell and vision of the ride.  Splitting lanes in heavy traffic you want to be singularly focused on your next move and what escape you have if someone changes lanes.  Great video and very poignet, captures the sense and feeling of where our thoughts go sometimes.

(dmrowe @ Jan. 14 2007,21:19) HeavyBusa & mymaster have come closest to the point.  When splitting lanes you think about not become a grease spot on the road, but you get into the ebb and flow of the traffic, harmony with the machine and your environment.  I like savoring those moments on open stretchs of road when you can let your mind open up to the sound, smell and vision of the ride.  Splitting lanes in heavy traffic you want to be singularly focused on your next move and what escape you have if someone changes lanes.  Great video and very poignet, captures the sense and feeling of where our thoughts go sometimes.
Good point! What parts of S.D. r u in? Devil dog and Lamb ride everyother weekend! P.M. us! Love to ride with different peeps! Sorry 4 the hijack!

What am I thinking??

Swerve or brake.  That's it.  If that cars does this, I swerve/brake.  Which one.  It constantly changes.  Sometimes braking is better, sometimes swerving is better.  Swerve or brake.

If your mind isn't on splitting, you can't react if someone changes lanes without signaling.  Am I on paint, cracks or smooth road?

That guy is a smart/safe splitter.  He isn't going so fast that he can't stop in time.  There is always the possibility that you are at that point of no return and a lane changer takes you out.  But that happens when you're in your own lane as well, that's how my GSXR1000 died.  And you won't get rear-ended.  I will never stay in my own lane when traffic slows, I'm not going to get rear-ended!  I got rear-ended in my car only a few months ago....  Never on the bike.

I will leave the lane splitting to you CA guys. I try to stay as far as I can from cages let alone share a lane with them. When stopping fast I watch my back end and look for an escape instintively to avoid a rear end collision. The way I see St. Louis drivers swerving into other lanes and over the lines, I would not be brave enough to risk it. I can't say I have not thought about it sitting in gear in a traffic jam a few times though.

Remember its legal here.

No other state allows lane splitting like Cali.
wink.gif

(mzrsq @ Jan. 14 2007,20:37) Awesome Vid, Just sitting here watching it and the wife wants to know Artist and Title of the first track on the it.

Anyone Know
rock.gif

TIA.
world[/url]

Lyrics

Last edited by a moderator:
The guy who posted the video said this:

The two songs are, first "Mad World" Gary Jules and the second is "Fade Out" Radiohead.

Even though I miss splitting traffic (just a little) there really is no need for it here in this area. One of the reasons I left CA was the traffic.

--Wag--

i used to split lanes in fl when daytona was having speed week....where traffic would cause you to have to do a 4 hr commute to and from work when you lived 5 mins away.....slow...slow...and the cars have to be stopped form before ill pass them

(Charlesbusa @ Jan. 15 2007,14:25) What am I thinking??

Swerve or brake.  That's it.  If that cars does this, I swerve/brake.  Which one.  It constantly changes.  Sometimes braking is better, sometimes swerving is better.  Swerve or brake.
+1

That vid was nicely done. Everytime pictures of his family was shown, I was thinking that ride was a eulogy. It had a somewhat "sad" yet "harmonious" feeling to it.

Just glad he didn't crash b/c the dude has such a beautiful family.

thats not lane splitting, thats reckless driving (riding). Those guys like that piss me off. That is not lane splitting traffic is moving to fast. The other thing it is just plane stupid to split in the emergency lane (right). We lane split at 15-25mph only when trafic is stopped or moving slower than 25. The way he is riding is just plain stupid!!!
rant.gif

(Kento-Moto @ Jan. 14 2007,21:00) Calif Squid splitting   ...  pretty dumb but a lil more fun  :

http://video.google.com/videopl....g&hl=en
It's so strange to see the freeway and know that I have been on that one and on that off ramp.

Specially now that I'm in a state that doesn't allow for the lane sharing/splitting. Sure do miss that! Thank goodness there isn't as much of a need for it out here as there is in CA.

Nanwags

(I don't split like those squids where)

It was interesting splitting when Cali, but it takes a bit to get use to it that for sure. Knowning the rules helps, we got pulled over for passing on the right, cop didn't give us a ticket since we where from out of town.

(1320Busa @ Jan. 15 2007,08:12) thats not lane splitting, thats reckless driving (riding). Those guys like that piss me off. That is not lane splitting traffic is moving to fast. The other thing it is just plane stupid to split in the emergency lane (right). We lane split at 15-25mph only when trafic is stopped or moving slower than 25. The way he is riding is just plain stupid!!!
rant.gif
Guess I'm pretty stupid too, then, eh?
poke.gif
biggrin.gif

When I'm in CA, I split just like that with the exception of passing on the right in the breakdown lane. THAT is something I won't do though there were a couple of times in the idiocy days when I did do it.

Live and learn.

The video is not showing the 3-D perspective you get when you're splitting traffic. It's not as bad as you're thinking it is, nor is it as dangerous.

--Wag--

Back