What do you guys think of the africa twin?

JeffSyh

Registered
I have been intrested in them for probably 10 years now but just never rode one, had someone with one or even sat on one.

I have been thinking about picking up a 450 dirtbike but why not just get a africa twin instead? (I don't plan on track riding just adventure riding) I was looking at a 2017 or new. What are your guys thoughts on them?

I have, and they're cool bikes.
My friend had a 2020
He sold it and bought a Honda 300 dual sport so he could road ride, and trail ride with his 8 year old son.
The AT handles the trails almost too well.
To ride with his son would've just been a 1st gear crawl, as the AT is amazing off road, it sucks up ruts and bumps like they literally were not there...really.
Things you cringe about because you know they're rough on a 250 2-stroke...the AT just rolls through it all.
On road, equally great.
He's had all kinds of bikes...all Hondas, lol, and we have ridden together for years, so we can keep a fun pace together no matter what we ride.
When I rode the Gsxr1k with him, the AT was suprisingly quick.
No, there's no contest there, but if you made 6k rpm the redline on a 1k or Busa, the AT would beat you up, lol.
It easily cruises at 80-90mph, tops out around 120's, but has alot of power throughout the revs, and is quick enough to be alot of fun.
I also found it to be extremely comfortable.
I'm 5'10" with a 32-33" inseam.
I had one foot on the ground, straight leg, the other foot on the peg, with a slightly bent knee...it is tall.
I had no problem riding it at all, and really like it.
First ride, I come back, my 6'2" friend laughs and apologizes...he then pulls the seat off, and puts it right back in, only into a lower front slot..this thing has TWO seat positions!
No changes are needed, just fit the seat front into either front position, and the height changes dramatically.
With the lower seat, it is much easier for me to throw it around off road, like a foot down for a spinning u-turn.
I still couldn't flat foot it, but I could tip toe it then.
I also liked really Both riding positions.
As for durability, lol, the thing is a tank.
My friend is good rider too...and managed to crash it twice, lol
Once he low sided it on the road, in the rain at night, too fast for a downhill corner, about 60mph.
His gear had a few scuffs, as did the bike, but no real damage.
Later he managed to tumble it end over end. He was riding in flat field about 70mph...but saw the small ditch too late, and over the bars he went.
He was sore...the AT got some more scratches...
It also has factory crash bars on the sides of the engine, which work great.
The AT is heavy, but becomes very light as soon as it starts moving.
He told me he was going to trade the 300ds back in on a new AT in another year or 2, once his son gets on a bigger bike.
The current model AT has another 100cc, a little less weight, and small improvements.
He said it's the only bike he misses(out of over a dozen), and when he gets the next one, it will be a forever keeper.
I would highly recommend test riding one if you can, as they are great motorcycles.

20200306_154257.jpg

Last edited:
I have ridden 450 dirtbikes, and he had the 2019 crf450 dual sport, a crf250, xr400, 2 xr600's, I have a DRZ400, and we've ridden lots of dirtbikes and dual-sports, and none is a fair comparison to the Africa Twin.
An xr600 would be the closest to size and highway speed comfort, but still apples to oranges.
The crf450ds is Alot quicker than the xr600, but is noticeably smaller...with one of The Worst seats ever made, 2x4, really.
But, neither comes close to the AT in any way.
The AT eats up off road with ease.
The only advantage a 450 has there is size and weight, which other than a mx track, it's only better on single track/tight trails.
Otherwise, the AT just does everything better by far.
Unless you have a big thumper single cylinder, xr600, drz650, road riding is no fun on small bikes and single cylinders.
Sure, a rip up the road is great, but after that, it's just buzzy and bumpy.
If you want to get out ride for an hour, or all day, the AT is it.
I look forward to riding his next AT too.

20181005_182056.jpg

I have been intrested in them for probably 10 years now but just never rode one, had someone with one or even sat on one.

I have been thinking about picking up a 450 dirtbike but why not just get a africa twin instead? (I don't plan on track riding just adventure riding) I was looking at a 2017 or new. What are your guys thoughts on them?
If you want to play offroad, weight is directly proportional to how much fun you can have.

I have a 2008 Husky TE610, which is just shy of 300lbs, but even that is on the heavy side. I can do 100 on pavement and do single track, but in the true dirt, it is a challenge to keep up with a dedicated dirt bike.

I did the Trans America Trail on mine from Tennessee to the end of Arkansas and it was a blast. There were a lot of pieces where a heavy adventure bike would not have made it.

With the curb weight on the Africa twin 500lbs, if you are in the mud, I'm going to be riding around you, while you walk next to your bike on throttle to keep the rubber down.

Seriously look at a 2024 KTM 500 EXC-F enduro, or a Husqvarna equivalent, they are the same bikes.

If you want to play offroad, weight is directly proportional to how much fun you can have.

I have a 2008 Husky TE610, which is just shy of 300lbs, but even that is on the heavy side. I can do 100 on pavement and do single track, but in the true dirt, it is a challenge to keep up with a dedicated dirt bike.

With the curb weight on the Africa twin 500lbs, if you are in the mud, I'm going to be riding around you, while you walk next to your bike on throttle to keep the rubber down.

Seriously look at a 2024 KTM 500 EXC-F enduro, or a Husqvarna equivalent, they are the same bikes.

Lmao...walk beside it he says...
I will be on your azz or you will be eating my roost...pin it to win it!
and no, the AT is no dirtbike, but other than single track, or mx track...that dirtbike aint gettin away...
lol

Lmao...walk beside it he says...
I will be on your azz or you will be eating my roost...pin it to win it!
and no, the AT is no dirtbike, but other than single track, or mx track...that dirtbike aint gettin away...
lol
LOL, I have been out with a few adventure Beemers a number of times, through water puddles and mud. I felt sorry for those guys. Sometimes there are places where you just can't pin it due to the terrain, it is both feet down and kicking around to keep the front pointed in the right direction.

Once together with a V-Strom, that was a total disaster.

LOL, I have been out with a few adventure Beemers a number of times, through water puddles and mud. I felt sorry for those guys. Sometimes there are places where you just can't pin it due to the terrain, it is both feet down and kicking around to keep the front pointed the right direction.

Once together with a V-Strom, that was a total disaster.

Yep, I've done alot of trail riding on alot of machines, and you can run into some tight, technical stuff...and wish you were on a trials bike, lol.
My friend did get rid of the AT to make the tight trails easier while he follows his son.
He could have rode it there, but it's not ideal for dirtbike and 4wheeler trails.

Yep, I've done alot of trail riding on alot of machines, and you can run into some tight, technical stuff...and wish you were on a trials bike, lol.
My friend did get rid of the AT to make the tight trails easier while he follows his son.
He could have rode it there, but it's not ideal for dirtbike and 4wheeler trails.
Have you tried hydroplaning over a wide water crossing, or over a creek?

My friend had a 2020
He sold it and bought a Honda 300 dual sport so he could road ride, and trail ride with his 8 year old son.
To ride with his son would've just been a 1st gear crawl, as the AT is amazing off road, it sucks up ruts and bumps like they literally were not there...really.
Things you cringe about because you know they're rough on a 250 2-stroke...the AT just rolls through it all.
On road, equally great.
He's had all kinds of bikes...all Hondas, lol, and we have ridden together for years, so we can keep a fun pace together no matter what we ride.
No, there's no contest there, but if you made 6k rpm the redline on a 1k or Busa, the AT would beat you up, lol.
It easily cruises at 80-90mph, tops out around 120's, but has alot of power throughout the revs, and is quick enough to be alot of fun.
I had one foot on the ground, straight leg, the other foot on the peg, with a slightly bent knee...it is tall.
First ride, I come back, my 6'2" friend laughs and apologizes...he then pulls the seat off, and puts it right back in, only into a lower front slot..this thing has TWO seat positions!
No changes are needed, just fit the seat front into either front position, and the height changes dramatically.
With the lower seat, it is much easier for me to throw it around off road, like a foot down for a spinning u-turn.
Once he low sided it on the road, in the rain at night, too fast for a downhill corner, about 60mph.
Later he managed to tumble it end over end. He was riding in flat field about 70mph...but saw the small ditch too late, and over the bars he went.
He told me he was going to trade the 300ds back in on a new AT in another year or 2, once his son gets on a bigger bike.
The current model AT has another 100cc, a little less weight, and small improvements.
He said it's the only bike he misses(out of over a dozen), and when he gets the next one, it will be a forever keeper.
I would highly recommend test riding one if you can, as they are great motorcycles.

View attachment 1676145
Thank you for the write up. Are they expensive to maintain? I really like the thought of being able to drive from the city to the farm from smooth highways to super rough to gravel, then being able to play also.

I will have to check and see what insurance is for one.

I did the Trans America Trail on mine from Tennessee to the end of Arkansas and it was a blast. There were a lot of pieces where a heavy adventure bike would not have made it.

I have rode smaller enduro bikes and they just feel super painful on the highway. I really don't want to lose to much highway ability but its more aimed for commutes to the farm, work and play.

My friend had a 2020
On road, equally great.

View attachment 1676145
I too been looking at one. This might just close the deal for me.

I have rode smaller enduro bikes and they just feel super painful on the highway. I really don't want to lose to much highway ability but its more aimed for commutes to the farm, work and play.
IMG_2149.jpeg

I can cruise Highway all day long at 80mph

Below 55mph, I have to go down to 5th gear.

Try and get a test ride on a KTM 500, or if you want a bit bigger the KTM 690, which is closer to what I have.

My friend owns a Honda dealership (he used to have Kawasaki, Suzuki and HD but they all downsized and pulled out).

He was riding a demo African Twin and he liked it...when he first rode it he was very disappointed in it.....he told one of his salesmen and they asked what mode he had it in...he didn't know so they checked and it was in gravel mode so it shut it down quite a bit...they put it in sport mode and he took it back out and said it was a totally different beast....

I told him he should have checked the manual before he rode it...

I think one would be great for out there in Saskatchewan where there's lots of space to use a larger adventure bike...

Thank you for the write up. Are they expensive to maintain? I really like the thought of being able to drive from the city to the farm from smooth highways to super rough to gravel, then being able to play also.

I will have to check and see what insurance is for one.

No, they aren't expensive to maintain.
It is a classic Honda in every way, as it's easy to work on, and very durable and dependable.
It is one of a handful of Japanese bikes that I've noticed keeps a very high resale value too(at least in the U.S.)
For the type of riding you want to do, absoloutely try to test ride one, as it is the perfect fit for just that.
The picture I posted of it and the Gsxr1k, I was following him alot that day, 60-85 mph, in a 45mph, alot of Parkway, with awesome curves, and my knees were very close to road in some of them.
I was just cruising...but so was he, and look at his type of tires, the AT handles deceptively well anywhere you put it.
Had he ran out of the road...the 500 pound pig would've just plowed on up or down the mountain, lol.
As for insurance, of course things with that are different here, but AT insurance is cheap, as it's basically considered 2 wheeled transportation, vs something expensive, or any late model sportbike.
I can't see that type of bike being a big insurance liability for any reason, so hopefully it won't be a ridiculous price where you live either.

View attachment 1676216

I can cruise Highway all day long at 80mph

Below 55mph, I have to go down to 5th gear.

Try and get a test ride on a KTM 500, or if you want a bit bigger the KTM 690, which is closer to what I have.

I have no experience with the Euro bikes.
But I've read alot about them over the years(whatever that's worth, lol)
And the consensus seems to have always been; they run great when they're running, are expensive when they break, and once they break...they like to keep breaking.
Now I'm sure that's not every bike, but it is a stereotype, and not the best look.
I know this is not your personal experience with them either.
And, with the OP in Canada; what would the availability of any of those bikes be, as well as parts?
Vs a Honda, that is a rolling anvil, and will run until we can no longer buy gasoline, lol

I have no experience with the Euro bikes.
But I've read alot about them over the years(whatever that's worth, lol)
And the consensus seems to have always been; they run great when they're running, are expensive when they break, and once they break...they like to keep breaking.
Now I'm sure that's not every bike, but it is a stereotype, and not the best look.
I know this is not your personal experience with them either.
And, with the OP in Canada; what would the availability of any of those bikes be, as well as parts?
Vs a Honda, that is a rolling anvil, and will run until we can no longer buy gasoline, lol
I think for guys who can wrench their own bikes, they seem to never have any issues with any manufacturer. At least that has been how my life goes, the same for my trucks and cars. Just keep an eye on everything and get to something before it becomes an issue. Be in sync with your machine.

I have experienced zero issues with mine, but they are a Bear to work on.

Mine was discontinued some years ago, KTM bought the factory closed it down and the new Huskies are KTM’s with Husky logos. So really all he did is buy the brand name.

So far no issues with parts, I normally wreck a few times when in the dirt, so there has been clutch levers, and body parts, plus maintenance stuff.

1705672289704.jpeg

We get crazy wind here though, I find bigger and heavier bikes make it much more tolerable. But maybe I'll look at one.
LOL at 100mph on that thing you have to hold on tight, so I hear you.

I have a bunch of Harley buddies, old farts and we do a lot of rides together. I just can’t get to using the Hayabusa for that, it is boring slow and frustrating. So I’m always on the Husky with them, and the 883’s have a hard time keeping up, especially from a standing start.

Back