What do you guys do? First Gen or 2nd?

I have nowhere near the skill to even approach the limits of either bike. Own a Gen 1, have ridden both and honestly couldn't tell a difference.

I get a hair up my arse every once in a while to "trade up" to a Gen 2. All I have to do to cure that is look at the Gen 2 tail.

Then I go give my '06 a big hug and the world is OK again.

+1000!! :thumbsup:

CW

I must go charge my electric wheelchair (I think it's a Gen I type).

Rode both - didn't see a big difference. I'd get a low mileage 1 and buy another used bike also.

If the bike has been well maintained I think there is a lot miles still in it since you don't rag on it. If you had it since new you know everything about that bike when you get one used. "It's like a box of chocolates" :laugh: I am a Gen 1 lover but when mine dies I would rather have a virgin even though she may be a little uglier than my old girl:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Easy my Gen 2 brethren :laugh: just having a little :poke: :laugh:

i currently own both, opinions are like a s s h o l e s and my a s s h o l e says my gen1 looks antiquated compared to my gen2. and oh yea, ill also be happy to ride toe to toe with anyone here...

not startin a fight...just saying..:whistle:

i currently own both, opinions are like a s s h o l e s and my a s s h o l e says my gen1 looks antiquated compared to my gen2. and oh yea, ill also be happy to ride toe to toe with anyone here...

Geeeezzz give a guy a crank a few extra ponies an some suspension upgrades an he thinks he can rule the world :poke: :laugh::laugh::laugh:

JK :hide: :rofl: Dam left out the brakes :whistle:

Last edited:

Wow, I don't remember reading such a challenge here on the org like that! You are certainly welcome to join up with some of us on a track day for some real fun...but I worry that you'd take it to seriously trying to demonstrate how superior you are. Raydog

Wow, I don't remember reading such a challenge here on the org like that! You are certainly welcome to join up with some of us on a track day for some real fun...but I worry that you'd take it to seriously trying to demonstrate how superior you are. Raydog

thanks for understanding...

:thumbsup:

i did a few track days after my suspension and height mods to the busa. it was fun and all but once i got my triple9 tuned to my riding and set up it was 12 seconds faster per lap.

says something about weight, braking, and a bike designed for track use.

but the thrust when the busa hit the straights was something fun. but the fight you had to put out to get to to stop late and keep from bucking from under you was not so fun:thumbsup:

I like my gen 1. I've ridden the gen 2 and don't see the point in trading up untill my bike is used up beyond repair. Put some more mile's on your bike. If you like the gen 1 there will still be new left over 07's around for the next 2 year's somewhere.

FOGs :laugh:

Antiquated... :rofl: think he needs to step that Gen2 bike up to the microphone and meet the boys...

"Hey was that a Gen 1 that just went by?" :whistle:

i did a few track days after my suspension and height mods to the busa. it was fun and all but once i got my triple9 tuned to my riding and set up it was 12 seconds faster per lap.

says something about weight, braking, and a bike designed for track use.

but the thrust when the busa hit the straights was something fun. but the fight you had to put out to get to to stop late and keep from bucking from under you was not so fun:thumbsup:
I was told by a good rider here that if you can get within 1 sec per turn of the track record, you are smokin fast on the busa....

Takes some doing but sounds like you were pretty darn close..

Neither bike is perfect (not in my head anyway) I have a Gen2 and the mrs drives a gen1.

For commuting to work I would take a gen 1, little bit more stable and more luggage options.

For a sunday silly gen2, bit better handling, noticably more powerful.

Brakes are better on the Gen2 but IMHO they are both **** and need some new lines and sintered pads. (In fairness I had an R1 before so I find most things have sh1t brakes!)

Gen2 mas no mpg meter which I liked, Gen1 does. Although I really appreciate the gear indicator on Gen2 (which tells me there is no 7th gear! Whats all that about?)

I'm 6'3" and fairly long in the leg and I find the gen2 better cut for leg room.

Not sure the gearbox is as robust on the Gen2 as the Gen1, time will tell on that one.

As for mode switch, I genuinely never use it as it only caps the power, does not reduce low down torque so not really that much use in the wet etc.

That said they are both great, if someone said I could only have a gen1 for the rest of my life I really wouldn't be disappointed!

It's a bike not a pension plan follow your heart !:thumbsup:

Ride your gen 1 to it fails. If you were to sell it I would get a Gen 2. Price difference between a bike with 10K miles and 60K miles really isn't gonna be enough to merit selling it or trading. I would personally ride the GEn1 until it gave up...then refreshen it and add a stage 1 turbo for a play bike. Then pick up a nice used GEN2 as a daily driver

Not much of a market anywhere for used bikes now, and most folks are gonna stay away from 67k miles, unless the price is Really low. If there's nothing wrong with it, keep it.
I've rode the gen1's for years and they're awesome. Once I rode the gen2, decided it was time to trade up from my 1000. The differences aren't night and day, but it has some noticeable improvements.
It's all in what you want, and how much you wanna spend

Yes, something isn't right with Gen 2 rear - like a hybrid between a sportbike and a cruiser. When the tail is up, it's a good sign. LOL. sorry for an oversized pic.

100_2661.JPG

Back