What do you do when you trailer your bike

drizzit

Registered
Hi Guys,

I am going to take my bike to Texas from California to run the Texas Mile. The problem is my trailer is an open one and I don't want to leave it out over night at a hotel. What does everyone here do? Any advice. I thought of unloading it and bringing it the room, but my wife isn't happy with that and thinks I am obsessed. :whistle:

take a room downstairs that lets you get a very good veiw of your bike Like about 10ft away and leave the drapes open a bit .
If that doesnt settle your nerves put an alarm on it.

A cheap alarm can be a baby monitor ducktaped to stratigic location on bike or trailor.
Easy to get a room with parking right at your door if you stop before dark.

when I ran up to SD with mine in an open trailer and stayed in a hotel I backed it up to the building near my window (bottom floor) and had the window open with alarm on...still check at every noise.

I had locks on the gate as well as a cable lock through the wheel and chock with the cover on. I also did a walk around in the wee hours of the mornin to check on any shady characters

...yes I am anal.

Another Idea is to find a few good members along the way you could park it in their garage.:thumbsup:

I chained the front wheel to my trailer hitch when it was unloaded. The night before I left I loaded my bike and chained the front wheel to the trailer. I used a pretty heavy chain that has a cover\sleeve that keeps it from scratching or damaging the wheel.

park in the front under the lights --cover it-- lock it up good--never had a problem -- done it at least 50 times---------

I got a hardened chain+lock from wallmart $25
Then after locking my busa to my trailer rail I backed the trailer up against curb
nice+snug.That way cant unhook trailer+take the entire deal.
You might ask the hotel if they have any security also.
MOST THEIFS WANT DO THE DEED FAST anything that slows them down is 2 your advantage.

I used to chai mine down to the trailer and back it up to the hotel.Now I use an encosed. No more worries.Trailer gets locks on doors and 2 on tongue.Never to safe.

Tie three pronged fish hooks under the tripple tree and under tail:laugh:

I trailered mine from Arizona to Missouri in an open trailer. Parked it right next to the motels all night office and asked the night clerk to keep on eye on it. Then put a towel around the rear wheel rim, ran a chain around it and locked it to the trailer. Did the same for the front wheel. Also locked the trailer safety chains around my hitch. I slept good !

Common sense. You are not obsessed. You can tell your wife I said that. :laugh:

displayimage.php

Back