what chain for my turbo build?

IRDEATH1340

Registered
What does everyone run with a turbo setup? seems the non o-ring drz2 is what i'll end up getting, but heard chain life isn't that great. I do ride alot, 50k within 2 years. with regular upkeep will a non o-ring chain last a decent amount of miles. Is there a chain that can handle 300hp with o-rings? I always clean and lube my chain every few days as it is, so I don't see an issue with the more maintenance it'll require. Would like to hear other riders experiences with a drz2 / non o-ring chain.

I highly recommend against a non-O ring chain for street riding,especially with the amount of riding you do. Horrible idea. The only reason to run a non O-ring chain is to avoid losing a few HP in an all-out max horsepower application;invalid argument for a turbo bike ridden on the street. You need to lube that chain every 75-100mi or so

That being said,I have a ZZZ chain on my Gen1 and a ZVM-X on my 1000 turbo. ZZZ is no longer available but was the chain to run on a turbo bike. The ZVM-X is awesome,it has shown minimal wear after the initial new chain stretching phase.

I highly recommend against a non-O ring chain for street riding,especially with the amount of riding you do. Horrible idea. The only reason to run a non O-ring chain is to avoid losing a few HP in an all-out max horsepower application;invalid argument for a turbo bike ridden on the street. You need to lube that chain every 75-100mi or so

That being said,I have a ZZZ chain on my Gen1 and a ZVM-X on my 1000 turbo. ZZZ is no longer available but was the chain to run on a turbo bike. The ZVM-X is awesome,it has shown minimal wear after the initial new chain stretching phase.

The EK ZVX3 is the replacement for the ZZZ chain, I agree with oldgix, go with that on your bike, you will be very happy with it . . .:laugh:

i have had good luck with the ek 3d chain it has 11,400 lbs. tensile strength. It is my first year using it with little or no stretch, the zzz chain I used to use stretched quickly.

i have had good luck with the ek 3d chain it has 11,400 lbs. tensile strength. It is my first year using it with little or no stretch, the zzz chain I used to use stretched quickly.

I have a 3D chain on my L3 1K,its real nice. Looks like I will try one on the turbo when the current one needs replacing

so i guess the ek 3d will the the best for my turbo build and the amount of riding i do. i found this on a website shows the zzz for 190 hp? that has to be incorrect...but shows the drz2 at 300hp....???

530zzz.jpg

ekdrz2.jpg

Yeah,I wouldnt really go by what the website says...I have a 520 3D on my L3 1K which makes over 190rwhp and a 520 is much smaller than a 530.

But most importantly,it's how you maintain your chain. Doesnt matter how strong it is or how much horsepower you have,if you neglect your chain it can snap with stock HP. I learned to clean/lube/adjust the chains on my turbo bikes before every ride. You are subjecting the chain to substantially more HP and torque than a normal N/A bike,proper maintenance is paramount.

yea i totally understand, my motorcycle stays in the kitchen... lol, chain gets cleaned and relubed every few days.. just getting some input as this is the last piece I need to finish up my build, this will be the weakest point, making sure its not with the best chain

I run a drz2 and street ride my bike weekly...every time I take it out I lube the chain and check tension... my rides consist of 100-200 miles with 5-10 full boost passes... I wouldn't put anything but a drz2 on a turbo Build if you plan on riding hard.

Back