What A/F meter ?

B-12

Registered
What A/F gauge ?

Hello
do you think instaling a permanent A/F gauge is usefull ?
(especialy with Nos)
i think about installing a cheap A/F gauge on the bike.

Or is it more usefull to use a unit with memory to check the ratio only for tuneup ?

What are your experiences with that ? Think specialy on the waterproofness of the common gauges and things like this.

Here is a nice unit i found: PLX DM-100 52mm + SM-AFR + Bosch wideband sensor Combo bei eBay.de: Performance Tuning Parts (endet 17.01.10 19:06:11 MEZ)
Thats the most expensive , but also the nicest unit i found.

please comment if you have any advice :bowdown:

Last edited:
I would really consider it a bit of bling for the vast majority of bikes... BUT if you are going to get one, it should be a data logging style IMHO..

I would really consider it a bit of bling for the vast majority of bikes... BUT if you are going to get one, it should be a data logging style IMHO..

+1

be sure its a wideband with dataloging abilities. The cheap ones are only good for looks.:rulez:

a wideband, and an egt are useful for sure. i'd see if i could grab the analog a/f meter from aem if i were you, you could also get a matching egt gauge. i'd run it past the nitro nuts here to see what normal egt readings are.

The meter you are referring to is commonly known as a wideband. A wideband controller without datalogging is useless to you on your bike. They are useful in cars because you can actually watch them as you drive. You can't do this on your bike. You need to be able to go back and look at your mixture after you have ridden. You can't watch a wideband as you tear down a dragstrip to see if your running rich.

the aem stuff can be plugged into a datalogger, but they don't log separately.

Thanks for hint.

I understand the EGT and understand the function.
But need a little explanation.
How sensible reacts the EGT to rich or lean ?
Does anyone have numbers to show this ?
with NOS it is the way to go. a good tuner can map it and you are done with A/F and then you look at EGT to see if your timing and fuel is correct for the spray.

with NOS it is the way to go. a good tuner can map it and you are done with A/F and then you look at EGT to see if your timing and fuel is correct for the spray.

Thanks for all replys.
Hope this thread is ok for the Nitrous section.

Now i go (start) with the MPS fast FI box.
Got a windowswitch from Greg and hardware from Daniel.
Have a tuner were i can get it dynoed.
I go this way to learn the basics about Nos. Later i want to switch to the ECU-flash.

The AF or Egt shall serve just for control , to recognice any "change" in conditions. But if i should get something i want to have something usefull , so thanks again for all answers.

My only tip is stay away from Innovate. Crap quality. AFR readings that incorrect. Data logging that doesn't and the worst customer service in history. Other than that they are good for paper weights and side stand pads.

My only tip is stay away from Innovate. Crap quality. AFR readings that incorrect. Data logging that doesn't and the worst customer service in history. Other than that they are good for paper weights and side stand pads.
Funny because this test done by Ford Muscle says otherwise. Can't speak for their customer service but it looks like they have a top notch product.

Attachments

• FM_WB_Shootout.pdf
    592.2 KB · Views: 386
Funny because this test done by Ford Muscle says otherwise. Can't speak for their customer service but it looks like they have a top notch product.

Read the fine print. Who helped conduct that test? When a company sets up a test for you featuring their product against a host of others, it becomes a nice four page advertisement.

I fell for it when I first read it too, then I looked into just who their technical support was.

I can save everyone time who might have a problem with their Innovate unit. Don't waste your typing skills or breath. Here's the canned answer:

You're just a stupid customer. Any problems you are experiencing are your own fault. Nothing Innovate has ever built has ever failed due to anything on Innovate's part. All customers are stupid and your problem is a grounding issue. Go to school and get an electrical engineering degree then call us back. Oh, and if you are knowledgeable about electronics, then it's something else you did. We don't know what, but give us a try and we will come up with an excuse. Most likely it's a grounding issue. Did we use the grounding issue excuse yet? Well, then it's a grounding issue.
:lol:

I don't work for Ford Muscle or Innovate, but I think the systems work very well. I have been using an innovate since 2000. The same one actually. If it doesn't break, don't change it. I use it every single pass for 10 years to monitor 6 chanels, and the results are extremly good. I've bought several on ebay for almost nothing because the majority of folks do struggle with them. I've also helped about 15 people get there Innovates to work, and most of the problems are basic. Top 4 hints are as follows:
1) ground to the battery. Ground loops create noise problems.
2) take your RPM signal from the fuel injector, not the coil. Coils are noisy. The instructions are wrong.
3) You must use a heat sink on the O2 sensor, or the sensor will go out of temp range at WOT. It may work if you skip this step, but not reliably.
4) It helps to put diodes across all solenoids to eliminate coils from back emf. When poeple install fancy air shifters and such, the coils on those things beat the crap out of the base voltage.

Just a different opinion.

Back