Welding exhaust port PAIR holes

jimbob8915

Registered
Has anyone welded the PAIR holes shut in the exhaust ports before porting to clean up the flow? Is there an epoxy that can handle the heat? I have tapped and screwed in plugs on the outside of the PAIR but would like to clean up the port.

two ways:

1. drill a thread into the 2nd-ait-hole in the head and wrench a screw behind with a bit loctiting the srew.

2. cut a 3 mm (1/10") thick and estimated 20mm wide alu-panel drill two 6 mm wide holes into and mount the alu with the original m6 nuts with 10-12 Nm
a gasket between head and alu is not necessary, if the alu is flat like a mirror / windows glas.
read my page - i described that job (#2) incl. 2 pics there

fill the hole with putty

CC16E1DC-3B38-4317-AE2E-574D2C3CE524.jpeg

the "putty" may work quite well

but the more elegant variant is the one I showed,
moreover, this is reversible at any time and super easy.

but everything as someone wants
+
as I often say:
the monkey says it's all a matter of taste when he bites into the soap. :lol:

I removed my head today and I noticed that the hole in the port is a straight port to the hole that exits to the outside. I had some 5/16 aluminum rod sitting around so the drilled the holes out. After drilling the holes I used a grinder to square the end of my drill bit and square up the bottom of the hole that cuts into the exhaust port. I drilled and tapped 10x1.25 holes into where the PAIR ports exited the head. I the pressed the aluminum rods into the new holes and will put pressure on them and seal them to the head with some 10 x 1.25 set screws. I will use some high heat epoxy to seal any small imperfections.

I thought about having it welded but local welder wanted $100 per port. I think I can make this work really well. I have a ceramic coating I will use in the exhaust ports and combustion chambers, a coating for piston tops, and skirts. For now I will be doing the intake cam to exhaust cam swap, remove base gasket and a port clean-up.
Saving for Web cams and Gen 2 crank.

Reactions: pcs
Back