Wearing Helmets

Always wear a helmet.

Just yesterday I finally threw away my wreck helmet from 2003. I picked it up and held it several times before I could bring myself to pitch it into the trash can. The gashes in that thing were absolutely severe. All I could think of was 'this would have been my head'.

It gives me the chills...

I have two Arai, two Icon, and one Shoei (with another in my sights).

My sister and her husband are Harley folk (in Wisconsin). Whenever possible, they ride without lids. I can't believe it, but (quite amazingly) that's their choice.

A year ago, a 'gear nazi' riding acquaintence of mine was at the track. After tech-inspect, he was rolling back to the pit (less than 5mph), something happened, the throttle twisted unexpectedly (?) the clutch level slipped out of his hand (?); anyway bike jumped, he hit the ground, bike landed on top of him. He's dead. He was the staunchest advocate of gear I've ever met. One mishap ended his life and forever changed the lives of countless others, in an instant.

Wear your helmets, ya'llz.

Please.

Q: OK... so you can't see and you can't hear and you tire easily when wearing a helmet. Does that really cause Motorcyclists to have accidents?

A: Perhaps not. But ask anyone who's ridden for more than a year or two about his favorite "hornet flew inside his helmet" story. Those are always good for a laugh, especially when you are heading down a busy Interstate at 65 MPH! Helmets save lives my ass!

hornet in a helmet? never heard that one and never seen it (only 40 years of riding here however)

Answer 2:

Maybe you are just to little to be riding a bike... If a kid is too small to hold up his head with a helmet, then they are not old enough to ride..

(is this thread really on the level? sounds like a kid trolling)

Q:  OK... so you can't see and you can't hear and you tire easily when wearing a helmet.  Does that really cause Motorcyclists to have accidents?

A:  Perhaps not.  But ask anyone who's ridden for more than a year or two about his favorite "hornet flew inside his helmet" story.   Those are always good for a laugh, especially when you are heading down a busy Interstate at 65 MPH!  Helmets save lives my ass!

hornet in a helmet?  never heard that one and never seen it (only 40 years of riding here however)

Answer 2:

Maybe you are just to little to be riding a bike... If a kid is too small to hold up his head with a helmet, then they are not old enough to ride..

(is this thread really on the level?  sounds like a kid trolling)
Not really all that sure if I buy the "not hearing" thing either. Like I said earlier, I used to ride w/ out a lid and I can tell ya that I hear ALOT better when wearing one vs. not wearing one. The wind noise w/ out a lid is enough to make ya deaf. Oh wait, I'm already deaf.
dunno.gif

Q:  OK... so you can't see and you can't hear and you tire easily when wearing a helmet.  Does that really cause Motorcyclists to have accidents?

A:  Perhaps not.  But ask anyone who's ridden for more than a year or two about his favorite "hornet flew inside his helmet" story.   Those are always good for a laugh, especially when you are heading down a busy Interstate at 65 MPH!  Helmets save lives my ass!
wtf.gif
A HELMET SAVED A LIFE YESTERDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DAMN STRAIGHT IT DID
super.gif

ThumbsUp.gif

I always wear a helmet
goodboy.gif
. Also wear jacket gloves and pants no matter how hot it gets. I have a Joe Rocket Alter Ego jacket and pants and their great! I presently have a Bandit 1200 in the garage and just bought an '05 Busa. Now if only this
banghead.gif
snow would melt !

CT Law is just eye protection. I wear a helmet 99.9% of the time. Yesterday was that .01% where I hopped on my friend's enduro bike and went around the block w/o a helmet.

Actually I used to do beach runs in Hawaii every once in a while like that. ( no lid law in Hawaii )For a serious ride I would allways wear full gear. Now that I live in Calif I have to wear one and it feels wierd not to have one. The ONLY benefit to not wearing a helmet is you can see and hear better. THATS IT! I cant believe some of the comments or so called reasons some of you dont wear one " I ride slow " ... " it makes my neck hurt " ARE YOU FREAKIN KIDDIN ME !!!
firedevil.gif
If you dont wear one it's your choice but dont give such dumb reasons.

Imagine riding unsecured to the hood of a car in your normal street clothes with no helmet... then that car gets on the freeway ... you still feel comfortable like that? I saw a safety tv commercial when I was a kid it showed a water melon hitting a telephone pole at only 25 mph. You know what happened. I also recently saw a clip of a pro stunter slip off of his quad during a very low speed wheelie. He had to have brain surgery and when they cut off the top off his skull and put it in the freezer while they did the 14 hr surgery I was dead set on wearing my lid from now on.

So if you prefer not to wear a helmet, ok, that's your choice but I would say dont give a reason or excuse because there arent any.

Spring_2008_020b.jpg

and 1 more thing, been riding for over 40 yrs and have been down twice. Both times full gear safe my azz literally!
thumb_up.gif

Hmmm has a interesting resemblance to "Ghost Rider" Think I better give Scotland yard a call?

post-6-93927-Spring_2008_020b.jpg

That is the way I think about it.. IF someone was to, lets say rear end you at a stoplight wearing a helmet could actually make the diffrence between you shaking it off and being pissed and you actually being killed.
Ask RSD about that one. He'd be dead if e didn't hav a lid on.

bentvavle is another friend I would have lost if it wasn't for Arai. I know a few others that would have been dead or vegitative without a good helmet. I know I would have had a few less brain cells without.

Any body who does not wear a helmet while riding a motorcycle is a wannabe window licker....Idiot....Retard
argue.gif

depends upon the weather... heat+helmet+leather... sucks. I'm young dumb and full of uhhh... stuff. I just bought the HEAD system for the radar detector I bought and hope that will encourage me to wear it more often. I will ride in any weather (rain/freezing, etc) and a helmet is a must then. I also always wear it at night if going long distance due to the buggieness.

I am a "gear nazi" if you will. ATGATT! I had my doubts before, but a wreck made me a believer.

Busa
Arai and full leather or full textile.
The Nanny state of WA.

I was ATGATT last year when I rode to Phoenix and it was 104f during the day. Just keep riding and it's not an issue.

The excuses follow excuses are BS:

"I can hear better without a helmet on."

Yes, while your not having the wind blowing past your ears at a high rate, which actually can produce a level of noise that can permanently damage your hearing.

"I can't see well with a helmet on."

You can't see well without a helmet on. The wind blowing in your eyes, even with sunglasses, will dry out your eyes quickly. That will cause you to squint and blink more to protect your eyes. It's an involentary reflex so you can't stop yourself from doing it. Your eyes will also water more, furhter reducing your vision because the tears slightly distort the light as it enters the cornea.

"I ride slow."

A Busa will do over 60MPH in first gear, so you're either lying or you're a troll.

"It's my choice."

In some states, yes. Is it your choice when NOT to get in a wreck? That's why they used to call it an accident. It should be my choice not to help pay your medical bills, but it's not. The government takes that money right out of my taxes. My Ex works at a County Health clinic. She has more than one patient that have been in bad motorcycle wrecks that are now on "public assistance" and are getting healthcare for free because us tax payers are footing the bill.

"I ride like a squid when I wear a helmet."

You certainly aren't mature enough to be on ANY sportbike, especially one with more than 150HP.

"It's too hot."

Get a helmet with good ventilation. You may find one that make you too cold. I have to close the vents on my Arai when it's less that 50F or I'll get chills. On hot days it actually feels cooler than the A/C in the building I work in.

I don't care what excuse you use. Just be honest with youself and own up to it! How much is your head worth to you anyway?

depends upon the weather... heat+helmet+leather... sucks.  I'm young dumb and full of uhhh... stuff.  I just bought the HEAD system for the radar detector I bought and hope that will encourage me to wear it more often.  I will ride in any weather (rain/freezing, etc) and a helmet is a must then.  I also always wear it at night if going long distance due to the buggieness.
Sweat washes off...road rash not so easy to get rid of
rock.gif

DSCN7238.JPG

Dear Friends

I was thinking of this thread this morning at breakfast.

I can't imagine not wearing a helmet. Since I had Lasik surgery on my eyes a few years ago, I don't wear glasses. Back when I wore glasses and rode a bike, I liked to raise my faceshield in warm weather whenever I was riding less than 50 mph.

Now I've found that I can't tolerate my shield's being up because there's nothing in front of my eyes. The wind hits my eyes directly, dries them out, and makes it difficult for me to see. Plus, I'm afraid of any debris that could hit my eyes and cause permanent injury.

I'm definitely a frady cat, but I believe not wearing a helmet is just dumb.

But I'm opposed to helmet laws.

And I'm also opposed to paying for others' expenses related to injuries sustained while not wearing a helmet. I believe states should repeal their helmet laws and add a law providing for unhelmeted riders to be responsible for their own medical bills, loss of wages, and other expenses related to injuries sustained while riding without a helmet.

Will a Libertarian ever be elected president?

Maby im just not used to wearing a helmet. I thought there would be alot more of you out there that diddent wear a helmet.
This thread is making me realize how stupid it is not to wear a helmet.
Im gonna start wearing mine.
repost.gif

i think those who don't wear them consistently are afraid to post because they are going to get a lecture. Not to be an ass, my head, my bike, my choice. I have the highest personal injury policy possible and excellent medical coverage from my job, so don't worry, I won't send you all the bill.
I've heard all the speeches, it isn't something I do all the time, but I do enjoy riding without a helmet. If you think I don't know what could happen or I think it won't happen to me because I have some sort of invincible force field around me, you're wrong. Again I'm "pro choice" when it comes to helmets. Everyone is allowed to make their own decisions.

Back