Hayabusa Owners Group

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wasn't sure where to ask...

luvmybusa

Donating Member
Registered
Guys/gals....I wasn't sure if this is where to post this or the "new owners" section. Anyways...I'm new to motorcycles. My k8 is my first bike. I don't know if this is a stupid question or not but here it goes. I have 3500 miles on my bike and i've noticed that when I corner, it feels like my back tire is a bit "squirrely". At first, I thought i had a flat. When I stopped to inspect it, it was fully inflated. I thought that maybe it just a one time thing or maybe my mind was playing tricks on me but now it is happening at almost every corner and now I'm cornering a bit cautiously and it is affecting my riding. I have also noticed that my chain is pretty loose and needs to be tightened up... so my question is, could this be the problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-Mike

Does it happen all the time or just when you first start your ride ?

sorry, wrong bike to be learning about this stuff IMO...

but all the same.. good luck with it..

"squirrely", or "jerky" ? Are you losing traction, or does it feel like you're sliding out ?

Get your chain adjusted and also have your suspension adjusted too :thumbsup:

to answer JR'S: it happens very consistently. answer to Kenny: it feels like its slidin out.

BA: I have been wanting to lower it a bit (I'm only 5'10") and don't quite get my feet completely flat on the ground.

I know what you're saying Mr. Bogus. When I was shoppin around i got the "you're crazy if this is your first bike" A LOT but I just couldn't pass it up. Everyone has to start learning somewhere and I wanted to learn on the bike that I love. I respect your opinion though and I appreciate the feedback.

If you have never ridden before, you need to learn the technique of counter steering. Make sure the tire pressures are ok, chain slack is correct, and you may need to check the suspension. If these things are ok, then it has to be the input from you. The bike should settle into the turn and stay solid unless you upset the balance of the bike. Are you braking in the turn?

Did you visually inspect the tire, or did you verify the pressure with a gauge?

Aside from the other good suggestions from other members, watch your throttle control. you need to be silky smooth with the throttle for crisp entrances and exits from your turns.

If you are tense through your turns, you can screw up your line without even realizing it. If you drag the brakes (not trail braking), or lug the engine, your turns will be sloppy. Turning shouldn't be a "white-knuckle" affair. Relax, be smooth with the throttle, and look through the turn. If you look where you want the bike to go, it'll go there.

As far as the chain goes, you need a certain amount of slack. If you have not adjusted the chain in the 3500 miles you racked up, you are asking for trouble. Clean it, lube it, and adjust it.

Please don't take this as cocky or irrogant because it is not intended to be. I have grown up on dirt, I took the MSF course, I was on a road star for all last summer before buying the busa this past winter. Again, I don't want to sound like a cocky 21 yr old kid because your guys knowledge and input is very important to me and I appreciate all of the help.

I brake as I approach the corner, let off the brake and either coast through the corner or I keep steady throttle throughout the corner (depending on road conditions, angle of corner, speed, etc.). I just don't know what the problem is and it does make me nervous so I wanted to throw it out there and see what you all thought.

I feel very relaxed and very comfortable with the bike whether I'm on the highway, city streets, turning, whatever. It was a visual inspection. I definitely need to tighten up the chain and take it out again and see what happens. Thanks again for the input!

I have seen at least 3 new k8's put knees down on the stock tires...

I think Kevin said it was the first bike he ever rode that allowed him to drag knee the first time he got on it..

Unless there is some unforeseen issue here, it has almost got to be a rider issue..

the factory tire is better than 99% of the riders that will ever throw a leg over the seat..

Good advice above and just one more thought...when I have 3,500 miles on a rear tire it's usually time for a new one :whistle:

Last edited:
If it's not mechanical, could it be that your not afraid and your pushing it to hard for your ability and knowledge of the bike. Fast is fun but it's not a dirt bike ya know-can't ride it like one, just a thought.

Originally I thought it was the chain and no it has not been adjusted since I bought the bike. Like I said I'll adjust the chain, take it for a ride, and post up what happens. Thanks again for all the help guys.

Rayabusa- Ya it's probably getting close to time for a new tire. I do still have a lot of tread left (done only 2 burnouts for a total of 10 seconds).

Mymaster- I'm definitely not riding past my ability. This bike does scare me and I don't want to be on the recieving end of its bite. I haven't even leaned far enough to put a knee down. Its definitely no dirk bike and much more fun than one.

post a picture of your rear tire... (close enough so that we can see the tread)

Mymaster- I'm definitely not riding past my ability.

:rofl: I love it when others reply and use my user-name :rofl: :rofl:

you know...I thogut about that when I was replying. oh well :bowdown:

Well you said it was a visual inspection. This may be the problem. It seems (to me) that the stock tires are rather stiff compared to other tires. This is probably because it doesnt have much sidewall. I didnt even notice the flat I had the other day until I tried to push it. Definately check your pressure with a guage, it may be super low, which is causing the squirly feeling. Did you buy it new or used? being a k8 it must be new, but if you bought it used, you never know, the suspension could be shot. Tighten the chain. I guess if it is really loose it could affect the stability when powering through a corner. It also may be that since it is your first bike, you may not have much confidence cornering yet, and either are freaking out a little bit, or are tight and jerky, causing the feeling. If all of this doesnt help, it HAS to be suspension.

Top Bottom