Was The Ceo Of Ktm Onto Something?

My sportbike is the Busa , and it is my only bike , and I plan on keeping it for good . I got 2 hip replacement in progress and 2 knee replacement to follow , and my list of broke things is fairly long , both wrists have been shattered and are as good as they are ever going to be plus shattered leg , hip , knee , and broken foot , ribs , compressed spine and even though riding my Busa is getting more painful by the month , I hope to be somewhat better one of these days . I am not changing to a more comfortable cruiser , nor is any bastard dictating what I ride . I bought a GSXR1100 in hospital in traction back in the day , against the voice opinions of close family and friends , who thought I also must have had serious head injuries , as an example of my dedication to love of sport motorcycles . Hell , my old mate aged 61 , recent owner of BMW1000R about 20 other fast bikes over time , just scored a Gen 1 and Gen 2 after he decided he wanted to go back to drag racing and hot rod bike building , and he has broken his neck twice road racing !! I always have ridden what I want and always loved race replicas the most , but I don't fit on them comfortably anymore , so got the Busa as better for my size ( just got measure at 6'4" ) 1/2 inch taller than I thought ! I will be adding to the stable sometime later , a naked Busa build ? another faired Busa maybe , still deciding . Anyway , bikes that are all rounders and nakeds are a good thing , the manufacturers I believe will always make race reps though , because the world loves them , but they may be smaller cc in future times .
Sorry about the rave ....

The CEO of KTM was saying what his company was going to do and why. If you want a race replica there are plenty of other options, just not KTM's. Looking at the stuff KTM is putting out and what they have done in 1 year in MotoGP, clearly this factory has the know-how to make a great sport bike (the RC8 was awesome). Interestingly they can't compete in World Superbike without a streetable sportbike. Admittedly, I knew this was going to stir the pot and I wanted to have at least one more hot debate before the site closes down. But I am seriously rethinking the race replica thing. I love high performance bikes but they don't really match my riding style anymore - that's just a part of getting older I suppose. I consider my pace as "fast average", which is still much faster than the cruiser dudes. I still can't resolve myself to the cruiser pace; sort of like being in a slow boat and watching a destination for hours wondering when the heck are we going to get there? I like feeling aggressive on the road, I actually feel much safer than being in a comfy armchair position. I have been lucky in my years of riding. Only broken bones in my limbs, hearing loss and nerve damage I can live with - but nothing really serious.

But the world is changing around us. Sport bikes are no longer the top sales winners for anyone. It started with nakeds and it's moving to adventure bikes. Motorcyclist used to be renegades or hooligans. Now they are doctors, lawyers, businessman, police, soldiers, etc., it's mainstream. Ride through my neighborhood on a Saturday morning and every garage has a HD or Goldwing in it that gets taken out one time a year. The next thing is going to be electric bikes. Electric bikes have the potential to be quicker, just as fast, and out brake IC bikes. They will win out and the rules on IC bikes will tighten until they are choked out just like 2-strokes.

Change is upon us ladies and gentleman (and Sixpack, Lol) ......

Arch have you ever ridden a cruiser??

I ask this because I felt the same way years back but 1 demo day on a cruiser changed my perspective. I'm on my 2nd Harley now and it gets way more saddle time than my Busa. Even tho Harley's are slow, heavy and overpriced I thoroughly enjoy riding it and wouldn't trade it for nothing! I've loaded it up and rode it 9hrs down to the Dragon. Satellite Radio... Cruise control.... etc. made the trip comfortable as hell. Then when I got down there I was still able to ride all the roads and have a blast! Racked up almost 2k miles in a weekend! All Im sayin is don't knock it till you try it :beerchug:

Arch have you ever ridden a cruiser??

I ask this because I felt the same way years back but 1 demo day on a cruiser changed my perspective. I'm on my 2nd Harley now and it gets way more saddle time than my Busa. Even tho Harley's are slow, heavy and overpriced I thoroughly enjoy riding it and wouldn't trade it for nothing! I've loaded it up and rode it 9hrs down to the Dragon. Satellite Radio... Cruise control.... etc. made the trip comfortable as hell. Then when I got down there I was still able to ride all the roads and have a blast! Racked up almost 2k miles in a weekend! All Im sayin is don't knock it till you try it :beerchug:

I did test ride a HD and a Victory. Also rode a friends HD and another's Goldwing. This was probably not fair though because I was still in a Busa state of mind. I think you have to wipe things clean and approach it with a fresh mindset. It's really a different animal for a different purpose. Sort of like driving a pickup and then a family sedan. You can't really compare the two. So I definitely get what you are saying.

I did test ride a HD and a Victory. Also rode a friends HD and another's Goldwing. This was probably not fair though because I was still in a Busa state of mind. I think you have to wipe things clean and approach it with a fresh mindset. It's really a different animal for a different purpose. Sort of like driving a pickup and then a family sedan. You can't really compare the two. So I definitely get what you are saying.

I completely agree with this.
My problem with cruisers has always been that every time I ride one, within a few minutes, I'm wishing I was on a sportbike or dirtbike again.
The older I get the less often I ride agressively. Rail a few corners, a wheelie, and back to 25mph country cruisin. Which there are plenty of empty back roads to sight see where I live. I tend to ride side saddle, hand on the throttle, other on my lap, other foot on passenger peg.
Nice lazy ride.

Yes Absolutely!!!

That's what it takes.... you have to understand the machine and its limitations. Believe it or not I still manage to rip around on an 800+lb Bagger!!! Still hitting turns and passing cars and bikes. I think my dirtbike/sportbike background has given me an advantage to riding these cruiser type bikes and vice versa. You ride around on a 800lb bike for a while then hop on the Busa and you'll never complain about it being "heavy" again.....

I'm just really digging the HD scene right now. There's a lot more rally's and events and in general more people to ride with. That's what did it for me.... It's hard to organize a "Sportbike" group ride. It's like herding rabbits!!! :banghead: Some wanna speed others wanna just do wheelies some tap out after an hour or so.... For the most part I was just riding around solo on my Busa and that got Boring real quick. Since the HD I've put together a couple 500 mile group rides with friends and coworkers. Have Never been able to do nothing remotely close to that with Sport Riders.

I feel your pain.
Group rides on sportbikes are as hard to organize as 4wheeler rides around here.
And I consider my riding ability average, yet most still can't/won't keep pace.
For the ridin a Harley hard, lol.
Everytime I get on one I drag the floorboards, and have gotten the back tire squirelly a few times.
If I crash one...I'll never hear the end of it!

I feel your pain.
Group rides on sportbikes are as hard to organize as 4wheeler rides around here.
And I consider my riding ability average, yet most still can't/won't keep pace.
For the ridin a Harley hard, lol.
Everytime I get on one I drag the floorboards, and have gotten the back tire squirelly a few times.
If I crash one...I'll never hear the end of it!

This Fat Bob 114 got your name ALL over it Six!!! :beerchug:
Harley_Davidson_2018_FatBob.jpg

lead-770x440.jpg

4559_tr3_0107.jpg

f7c7d2234b1f0915b9ae7a8fe01d423d.jpg

I've sat on 1 @ my local dealership and it feels exactly like a big ass dirtbike!!!

I actually like that.
I would have guessed it was a V-Star, not a Harley.

Oh no it's a Harley! Brand new 2018 Fat Bob

The old HD fogeys are up in arms about it :D they absolutely hate it but the younger guys and sport bike riders dig it! It's very aggressive looking, flat paint, no chrome just how I like em!!! Got a new lighter frame with adjustable rear monoshock. A whole bunch of upgrades which is uncharacteristic of a HD. Will it hang with a crotch rocket? No... but it's a TQ monster and probably a helluva lot more fun and comfortable to ride!!! Trust me if you like these pics you'll fall in love when you see I it in person :banana:

Oh man, I can only imagine.
It would be awful!
You Harley guys are a bad influence.

If I could afford a few bikes, maybe...maybe...probably not.

I'm telling you give em a chance and they will infect your soul.....:rolleyes:

Guaranteed your friends might poke fun @ you in public but deep down they will be curious and that's how it starts. Then when they see all the looks and attention you get everywhere you go they'll be begging to take it for a spin. The sound the rumble.... might not be fast but I'll damn sure look good wherever I'm going :cool:

I'm telling you give em a chance and they will infect your soul.....:rolleyes:

Guaranteed your friends might poke fun @ you in public but deep down they will be curious and that's how it starts. Then when they see all the looks and attention you get everywhere you go they'll be begging to take it for a spin. The sound the rumble.... might not be fast but I'll damn sure look good wherever I'm going :cool:

Hahaha...yeah
I've ridden several over the years, not that new thing, but Sportsters, Shovel Heads, Dressers, and my favorite, the Fatboy.
I would love to own one too...cuz I would beat the sh*t out of it.
I've wheelied them, I've drug everything short of a crash, I've even had parts fall off.
Nothing is more satisfying than a slow creeping burnout, into full roll, sideways, fishtailing, and painting the road, letting the bike go, while I just hang on and enjoy the ride...on my friend's bike....as he looks on in horror:D

Back