Was cleaning up the back yard yesterday

Looks like a corn snake to me also... His belly should have been black and white in a checker board pattern.

They are very docile for the most part and make great pets.

Corn snake. Beautiful animal, one of nature's finest.

Keep him around, you'll be glad you did.

--Wag--

Just call him "Corny" and feed him lizards and field mice.
Do snakes eat ants? The pile of wood I found him in was full of big ants. He may have been feasting on them. The ants have now been cremated so the snake will have to find dinner elsewhere. He's probably living in the large oak tree above where the pile of wood was.
I doubt corn snakes eat ants. Small birds, lizards, mice, and other small creatures with more nutritional value than ants (well maybe chocolate covered ants!).
smile.gif

Around my yard, I just watch for water mocassins since they don't always have a sense of humor.
The Copperheads around my place don't have much of a sense of humor either.
eek2.gif

And an FYI on identifying snakes... I've been told that if there are only two kinds. Chicken snakes and Rattlesnakes. The way to tell which it is? If it has a chicken in it's mouth it's a chicken snake. If it isn't holding a chicken in it's mouth it's a Rattlesnake.
biggrin.gif

Very pretty!

Cool, that's what I found in our shed last summer that sent the hubby running
laugh.gif
Chicken...I tried to get her out, but she was so stressed from me moving boards to locate her that I just left her alone and she made her own way out...

Do snakes eat ants? The pile of wood I found him in was full of big ants. He may have been feasting on them. The ants have now been cremated so the snake will have to find dinner elsewhere. He's probably living in the large oak tree above where the pile of wood was.
I doubt corn snakes eat ants. Small birds, lizards, mice, and other small creatures with more nutritional value than ants (well maybe chocolate covered ants!).    
smile.gif

Around my yard, I just watch for water mocassins since they don't always have a sense of humor.
eek2.gif

And an FYI on identifying snakes... I've been told that if there are only two kinds. Chicken snakes and Rattlesnakes. The way to tell which it is? If it has a chicken in it's mouth it's a chicken snake. If it isn't holding a chicken in it's mouth it's a Rattlesnake.
biggrin.gif
how true but all of them kinda taste like chicken
laugh.gif

smile.gif

eek2.gif

biggrin.gif
how true but all of them kinda taste like chicken
laugh.gif
I think snake is one thing I've never eaten. I'd try it if I got the opportunity but I've never been anywhere it was being served.

And I meant to include in my first post that yes, corn snakes are BEAUTIFUL creatures. Wish I had one around the house to keep the field mice at bay. Actually the Copperheads and rat snakes do a good job of that. I've never seen a trace of a mouse in my home. The corn snakes are prettier than the rat snakes though, and a lot more heart friendly than the 'heads.

I had a monacled cobra for a while, he liked to eat cats. My neighbors let thier cat out, it got into my garage, which I had set up for my reptiles. The cat fell through the screen that was on top of the cobra's tank, the rest is history. Corn snakes are much safer than cobras are.

J

What subspecies is it?

Popcorn snake
Creamed corn snake
Corn on the cob snake
Cornbread snake
Corn chowder snake
or the very dreaded, and rightfully so because of the extreme neurotoxin venom it possesses, THE CORNED BEEF HASH SNAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jump9.gif

What subspecies is it?

Popcorn snake
Creamed corn snake
Corn on the cob snake
Cornbread snake
Corn chowder snake
or the very dreaded, and rightfully so because of the extreme neurotoxin venom it possesses, THE CORNED BEEF HASH SNAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jump9.gif
Groan.

--Wag--

Back