Warranty opinions

wiesjon

Registered
I am purchasing an 08 orange. The dealer is trying to sell me a 7 year warranty for 700.00. He says warranty work is 65.00/hr. With the warranty you have to pay a 50.00 per warranty use deductible, then the rest of the work is paid. He said that if you ever decide to sell the bike in a few years that it would be much easier to sell with some remaining warranty. I've never had a hayabusa and wondered if they require much in the way of dealer work if they're well maintained and taken care of.

I am purchasing an 08 orange. The dealer is trying to sell me a 7 year warranty for 700.00. He says warranty work is 65.00/hr. With the warranty you have to pay a 50.00 per warranty use deductible, then the rest of the work is paid. He said that if you ever decide to sell the bike in a few years that it would be much easier to sell with some remaining warranty. I've never had a hayabusa and wondered if they require much in the way of dealer work if they're well maintained and taken care of.

My bike is 2 months old...no problem. Brother has 06....did not use his warranty during the one year. Only problem was a fan in 08.

Is it a Suzuki warranty or some other company? We sell Honda, Kawasaki and Yamaha motorcycles, and the only extended programs they have for 7 years is a four year extension on touring bikes that have a 3 year factory warranty. Suzuki, I would think, would have the same type of program. If you want a warranty, negotiate the price and term . Tell them if they can do a $0 deductable for under $600 youll buy it. I recommend the warranty, if ,like the bike, you get a good deal on it.:thumbsup:

I would have to read the fine print, don't know if normal wear and tear would be covered. As far as I can tell these bikes are very well designed and built.

I have a friend who has had great dealer service but I doubt that is always the case. I had many recomendations to pass on the Kawi "Good Times Protection Plan" from other ZX-14 owners. I was told the warranty that comes with the bike will not often be honored unless you buy this extra warranty(even the dealer hinted that that would be the case). There seemed to be a lot of anti-dealer service sentiment. I must say, after checking over my dealer prepped bike, I felt the same. Many of us don't even want the dealer to touch the bike so why bother with a warranty you have to pay for?

I'd find a certified 'zuki shop that isn't a dealer and ask them what extra warranty you need, if any. That's the only kind of shop I would want to go to.

Mythos

I have never bought an extended warranty, guess I've been lucky, I've never needed it.

I never buy an extended warranty on anything--bike, car, appliance, etc. Maybe i've been lucky--but too much $$ for too little coverage--IMO!

You have to make up your own mind for peace of mind. You can't go by other peoples good luck or bad luck. The gen1 has been around for a long time, all the bugs worked out. The gen2, new design, you never know what may come up. When I buy a 40,000 dollar car I buy a warranty. When I buy a bike over 10,000 dollars and it's new design I buy a warranty.

I'll never forget the article I once read in "Consumer Report". In a nutshell, they said an extended warranty is a waste of your money and an insult to one's intelligence! I've been riding Suzukis longer than most of you have been alive and have yet to need warranty work of any kind! Lucky or is that Suzuki makes a bullet proof product? Who knows, it's your money.
In regards to the Hayabusa; if something is going to break, it will do so long before your "factory" one year warranty runs out! I owned a 05 busa and now have a 09...................absolutely no issues with either one.

Anytime a salesperson suggests I should buy an extended warranty on anything, my response is:

"So you're telling me I should expect this to break down in two years? I'm not sure I want such a cheaply made product after all."

Then we start all over with the salesperson working to rebuild my artificially shattered confidence in whatever it is they're trying to sell.

Extended warranties are nothing more than insurance policies. Actuaries look at historical data from the manufacturer and assess a probability and cost to maintenance issues over a period of time. From there the "premium" is calculated to ensure significant profit margin is available to the company offering the warranty and the retailer selling the warranty.

They don't call it "insurance against manufacturing defects" for a reason. "Extended Warranty" sounds so much more customer-friendly.

Last edited:
I think I'll gamble and not go with the warranty. I know a very good mechanic in town and even with 65.00/hr work, I would hope to not have 700.00 worth of work done. If that happens I'm sure I would feel I'd bought a lemon and would probably sell it anyway. I'm the original owner of a 76 Honda CB 750K and have not spent 1.00 on warranty work, just the usual stuff that wears out on any bike. Thanks for the opinions.

I think I'll gamble and not go with the warranty. I know a very good mechanic in town and even with 65.00/hr work, I would hope to not have 700.00 worth of work done. If that happens I'm sure I would feel I'd bought a lemon and would probably sell it anyway. I'm the original owner of a 76 Honda CB 750K and have not spent 1.00 on warranty work, just the usual stuff that wears out on any bike. Thanks for the opinions.

That would be my choice.
If you take care of it...these things are built really well.
If you don't take care of it the damage will probably not be covered anyway.
If you can do some stuff yourself, $700 can cover a lot of repairs.

Hey I forgot:
Welcome!

:welcome:

how ironic, am going to the dealorship 2morrow to get rid of mine... bike's been riding fine so far.besides am thinking of doing some engine work myself so its of no use

I got my extended (5 year) warranty. Im thinking its probably never gonna get used, but better safe than sorry. Plus, paying it off monthly doesnt matter if its 500+ or 500-.

You know it's only money, If the bike breaks down don't fix it just buy another one. Because there's no such thing as a perfect bike, somebody will get stuck with a 08 lemon.

Back