Warranty issues - slipping

MotoleanBusa

Registered
Hi Everyone,

Back in November someone started a thread concerning their 05 Busa slipping in 2nd gear. Well, I am another victim. My bike has about 6600 miles on it and it started doing it a couple hundred miles ago. Also, the bike will just shut off when I am riding. Yup....I am just crusin down the road and it just turns off. Loads of fun!

Well, I brought it into SKY Powersports in Lakeland, FL today and when they took it out for a ride, the chain snapped, broke the casing, and nicked my paint. SKY is saying that they are not liable for the damage what was caused by their test ride. I say that the reason why the chain broke in the first place is because of the on/off dramatic tension changes the chain went through while it was being tested.

One of the reasons for this post is knowing that other members have experienced similar problems, were your bikes stock or modded also (swingarm, air shifter, etc.)? Also I wanted to get some members perspectives of mods that may cause a void of your warranty. I know that if you really get into the engine then you will void your warranty, however, are any of the following mods cause to void my warranty and give Suzuki legal right not to fix my bike?

12 inch swingarm extension
Custom saddle bags and tail section
D&D Full Exhaust
Rear View Camera
Power Commander
BMC Filter

Attached are some pic....you may recognize cause I posted pics of it here before.

SideView.jpg

BackView.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Jason Lowman

If the chain broke and tore up a bunch of stuff while one of there techs were testdriving it....they are soley responsible. Try and call Suzuki directly they are more likely to help you out. If not......get a lawyer.

I believe that they are responsible also, however they are saying that because they did not put the chain on, it isn't their problem. Also I signed your typical waiver saying that I hold the dealer harmless if anything happens.

so the plot thickens.....if you have signed a waiver stating that you will not hold them responsible. Then there really isn't much you can do....maybe ask if they can get you a better price on new parts.

Because of the waiver that I signed, I am not really getting my hopes up in terms of SKY fixing the damage that occured by their test ride. I am more concerned if any of the mods that were done to the bike will void Suzuki having to fix the 2nd gear issue under warranty.

I am not sure about the second gear issue until it is determined why, but I would assume the on/off will be traced to the PC and your air mod. If so, your out of luck on that one, and if that and the chain can be connected
rock.gif
as the cause of the chain failure your out of luck there also. Before making any decissions, you really need to find out the whys of your problems and then go to Suzuki.

ALSO DOCUMENT EVERYTHING YOU DO  
umnik.gif

Even if the bike was 100% showroom floor bone stock, they still will NOT cover your 2nd gear problem. I don't think anyone has managed to pull that one off yet. The dealer may be great and willing to do it, but once they run it past Suzuki's warranty dept. you're out luck.
Suzuki must have cheapend something in the '05 tranny as that seems to be the only year effected.

It is worth talking directly to Suzuki about your issues....they don' have to warranty any drivability issues because of your engine mods (PC, after market exhaust) and with the extended arm and chain....any engine, trans, and final drive warranties have been voided  
sad.gif

i had duble bubble wind screen ,tobin seats,2 bros bolt ons , genmar riser ,and heli bars . all the dealer wanted to know was who did the custom work and how come i wasnt complaining to them about my trans problem ! they said look at this bike you are obivously dragracing it. i told them that the mods i did were for comfort they were pissed i did the work myself , and didnt buy the parts from them . anyway out of the mods i listed which one justified them not covering my trans, maybe it was the 2 horsepower gain from the bolt ons ? from the second i walked in with a problem they started pointing thier finger at me , sayin you did this or probably that . i just had a realy bad experience. at one point they told me to trade it in , so i would loose 3 grand and have the same thing happen in 4000 miles . i am in no way easy on my bike . but for what it is it should be better
mad.gif

the guys at suzuki warranty on the phone are as nice as can be , they will sit on the phone with you all day and speak nice then as they say good bye they wiil tell you you are beat and there is nothing you can do about it , with the mods you have goin on you would be better off up grading your trans to under cut or the race cut go with a billit shiftshaft and heavy duty shift fork if you shop around you can get a decent price and you will be ready for any future power upgrades , i have 9000miles on my undercut trans its flawless !

I am not sure about the second gear issue until it is determined why, but I would assume the on/off will be traced to the PC and your air mod. If so, your out of luck on that one, and if that and the chain can be connected
rock.gif
as the cause of the chain failure your out of luck there also. Before making any decissions, you really need to find out the whys of your problems and then go to Suzuki.

ALSO DOCUMENT EVERYTHING YOU DO  
umnik.gif
The funny thing is that my power commander is not even hooked up anymore, and the bike is still shutting off. Also, I do not have the full air bix mod...only a BMC air filter.

I think that swingarm and extended chain are going to screw you on a course of action against the case damage.

I've heard of some reliability problems with the PC, and if you say it's no longer connected, you could have a bad connection somwhere.

Good Luck.

If the chain broke and tore up a bunch of stuff while one of there techs were testdriving it....they are soley responsible.  Try and call Suzuki directly they are more likely to help you out.  If not......get a lawyer.
If i read correctly you have a 12 inch extension. If so the chain isuue will not be dealt with by Suzuki.

I just started a thread the other day asking about mods and warranty work,and didn't get much response.I too would like to know how much ya can do without them sticking it to ya.
Probably varies dealer to dealer,but it's not like the japan factory warrantee dude is there when you bring it in,they still get paid!
IMO,I dont believe too much in extended warrantees just for this reason.
This is why I try to learn as much as I can about my bikes so I can do it myself. I cannot leave a bike completely stock so I would probablly be getting in a lot of firghts with the dealership.

Good luck

Ooh,and 12 inch over,I dont think that they believe that you are taking grandma out for Sunday joy rides either....

<!--EDIT|brendanp
Reason for Edit: None given...|1140144607 -->

The bike was built to draw a crowd at some of the shows that I do. I ride the bike a bunch but have other bikes which I really beat on. Thats the thing that sucks also....I never really beat on the Busa like I so my others. I mean, I ride it hard but not abusively. The drama continues...

your right the rep will be at the dealer once every 4 to 6 weeks , to collect parts and authorise payments , and also give authorization or denie any questionable claims .
thats what the suzuki folks told me . suzuki will warranty 100 % of mechanical defects and if tyhe trans issue is not than what is?

dude...where does Robin The Boy Wonder sit when that hump is instaled?
wink.gif

seriously though....12" over fuggettabout it. There is only ONE reason to extend a swingarm.
cool.gif

Understand that when you extend the arm like that....if the bike won't wheelie, then the torque is going to look for another way out....usually the "weakest link".....if you'll pardon the pun.

For all you know, you may have improperly installed the masterlink(s). Did you just use an extra bit of length...or did you get an entire new one? 12" over calls for a 150 link chain...since I think the longest ones are 120 links out of the box...either "A" ....you bought from someone that had some bulk chain ...or "B" you added a section requiring 2 masterlinks.....now were they clip or rivet? ..... is there a conversion kit in?
There's a million things you have to be able to answer and be 100% positive about.
Unless you went cheap-arse on the chain...they are pretty stout.
Did it break at the master?

Unless you signed a work order that states they are not responsible for damages done...then they are.

I wouldn't look at this so much as a "Suzuki" issue...as I would a "Sky Power Sports" one.

My dealer in Tampa (service manager) has clearly stated to me that if I want my Yosh cams installed and do not wish to void the SEP...then I must allow them to do it. That's fine with me.
My sales manager also corroborated the claim and said that full exhaust and power commanders play no part in warranty with the motor.

I'ld say they at least need to replace the damaged parrts 100% ...then take the parts elsewhere.

Regardless of what ever happens with the chain and the case...it will get dealt with. I just can't understand how Suzuki is getting away with no honoring their warranty on this slipage problem. There seems to be enough documented cases of this occuring where there is obviously a manufactures defect. Legally speaking they may have a problem.

Regardless of what ever happens with the chain and the case...it will get dealt with. I just can't understand how Suzuki is getting away with no honoring their warranty on this slipage problem. There seems to be enough documented cases of this occuring where there is obviously a manufactures defect. Legally speaking they may have a problem.
you only wrote a single sentence on the slippage....it's seems you had other concerns....please define "slippage"

rock.gif

Regardless of what ever happens with the chain and the case...it will get dealt with.  I just can't understand how Suzuki is getting away with no honoring their warranty on this slipage problem.  There seems to be enough documented cases of this occuring where there is obviously a manufactures defect.  Legally speaking they may have a problem.
you only wrote a single sentence on the slippage....it's seems you had other concerns....please define "slippage"

rock.gif
What I mean by slippage is the transmission seems to slip and catch under decent acceleration only in 2nd gear. Its like when you clucth up a wheelie, however in this case, it is unexpected, more violent and dangerous.

It almost feels like tire spin, but it is not. Even starting at about 2 grand, all the way up the rev range, it is like the transmission catches and releases....over and over again.

Back