Want to by this '06 Limited but....have underground gated parking garage.

skater69

Registered
Even this '06 seems like it would a thief target. An MT-09 that was on full display got stolen a year or so ago. The ST1300 and Honda Shadow never get any attention.
Should I not waste my time having only an underground gated garage and get something less tempting for thieves? A disc lock and a cover would be all I could do plus an alarm I guess.

00i0i_8kwDyJ1seYG_0CI0hr_1200x900.jpg

Two disc locks and a cover. I have a RoadLok rear rotor lock but they don’t make them anymore for the rear rotor. If you install an alarm make it a loud one and one that’s tied to your phone. Nice looking bike. Mine has a tad over 81,000 on it thru 11 states.

IMG_3280.jpg

Even this '06 seems like it would a thief target. An MT-09 that was on full display got stolen a year or so ago. The ST1300 and Honda Shadow never get any attention.
Should I not waste my time having only an underground gated garage and get something less tempting for thieves? A disc lock and a cover would be all I could do plus an alarm I guess.

View attachment 1670996
Do you have room for one of the shelters I posted in this thread:

I agree with the recommendation of a good cover, at least one disc lock and a “smart” alarm.
You could also add an AirTag which will provide tracking in case a couple of guys load your bike into their truck and drive off.

Make you have good insurance too.
Nowadays depending on where you live the police don’t investigate property crimes so you have to protect yourself.

ask the owner of the underground garage if u would be allowed to build a stable cage as storage

and

if you can screw a bracket to the concrete floor of the parking lot,
through which you can then pass a very stable chain in order to then grab the rear wheel.
or a very long (2m + long) stable chain around a pile and through the rear rim.

the bracket i found in 1999/2000 in a suburb of budapest, hungary capital, lots of times
where the hungarians chained their cars at - mainly over night.
no joke - it was damn real
caused by the thousands of car-thefts per year in hungary that time.

and forget all locks - those only help against rolling away a bike - thats all :-(((
the steering lock helps only (a lil bit)

i have a lil movie at my computer of a bike theft - the 2 guys needed around 15 seconds to lift a bike from a sidewalk into a closed car (volkswagen bus type t5)
and run.
see this link ( .avi)

no panik the link leads directly to my homepage / its server - it is save .
you can open it instead of any warnings u browser opens/shows

Last edited:
ask the owner of the underground garage if u would be allowed to build a stable cage as storage

and

if you can screw a bracket to the concrete floor of the parking lot,
through which you can then pass a very stable chain in order to then grab the rear wheel.
or a very long (2m + long) stable chain around a pile and through the rear rim.

the bracket i found in 1999/2000 in a suburb of budapest, hungary capital, lots of times
where the hungarians chained their cars at - mainly over night.
no joke - it was damn real
caused by the thousands of car-thefts per year in hungary that time.

and forget all locks - those only help against rolling away a bike - thats all :-(((
the steering lock helps only (a lil bit)

i have a lil movie at my computer of a bike theft - the 2 guys needed around 15 seconds to lift a bike from a sidewalk into a closed car (volkswagen bus type t5)
and run.
see this link ( .avi)

no panik the link leads directly to my homepage / its server - it is save .
you can open it instead of any warnings u browser opens/shows
Never going to happen. HOA would never allow it. Probably going to just get a bike nobody cares about since it’s going to be a weekend bike anyways. Something like an ST1300 or ‘99 Intruder. Lol.

Keep the bike at a nearby friend’s/relative’s house who has more security?
That was the original plan. My best friend rents a townhouse with a "2 car" garage less than 5 min walk away. Unfortunately, it's a sloppy s&*t show. Between storage bins, her car, and bicycles, there is no room. Even if there was, she or her teenage daughter would manage to knock it over, drop something on it and damage it within a month. Just no way.

Yeah, that doesn’t sound good. How about renting a storage locker, or a neighbor’s garage?
Here’s what I found on a quick search in my area for “garage rent near me”.

1695497637610.png

Sad that potential theft has to be a factor in a purchase decision. I recall speaking with an officer about protecting property. He likened it to layers of an onion. Layer one: put it in a garage. Layer two: tether a Doberman to the handlebars…

Yeah, that doesn’t sound good. How about renting a storage locker, or a neighbor’s garage?
Here’s what I found on a quick search in my area for “garage rent near me”.

Done that around here. Nothing remotely that cheap. Busa is out. Don't need the stress now that I have a parking garage. Will be getting a more boring bike nobody cares about. Probably shaft drive too. Thanks though.

Stealing a motorcycle isn’t a spare of the moment thing to do. They first spot your bike and check out what deterrents you have setup. Check out the garage for security, cameras and access. Next these guys come back prepared and in less than a few mins they lift, load and drive away! So disks brakes won’t matter. A chain wouldn't either unless they’re forced to use a tool that’s too loud to use in the middle of the night. If you aren’t in a situation where you can protect the item you’ve spent your hard earned money on I wouldn’t bother.

Unless I had an app to show if my friends garage is closed or open I wouldn’t go that route either. People leave their garage doors open or the service/side door unlocked by mistake sometimes. Ask me how I know? I’m going to take the high road and not blame it on my kids

Stealing a motorcycle isn’t a spare of the moment thing to do. They first spot your bike and check out what deterrents you have setup. Check out the garage for security, cameras and access. Next these guys come back prepared and in less than a few mins they lift, load and drive away! So disks brakes won’t matter. A chain wouldn't either unless they’re forced to use a tool that’s too loud to use in the middle of the night. If you aren’t in a situation where you can protect the item you’ve spent your hard earned money on I wouldn’t bother.

Unless I had an app to show if my friends garage is closed or open I wouldn’t go that route either. People leave their garage doors open or the service/side door unlocked by mistake sometimes. Ask me how I know? I’m going to take the high road and not blame it on my kids
We do have security cameras in the parking garage. But it's hardly a deterrent. The owner who had his MT-09 stolen used to park it in the mcycle spaces near the front of the garage. Easy to see from outside the garage via barred windows. He keeps his other bike, an ST1300 in the back of the garage where there are also motorcycle spaces. Those spaces/that bike cannot be seen at all from the outside when parked. He's been parking it there for a couple years now and it hasn't been messed with. Has a disc lock on it. Used to be a Shadow 750 parked in front spaces on full display and it never got messed with. A newer Harley Fat Bob is on full display in someone's parking space and that bike has stayed put. My only hope with the Busa would be to park it in the back of the garage where the ST1300 is and cover it. I live in a very good area too. Doesn't seem to matter.

We do have security cameras in the parking garage. But it's hardly a deterrent. The owner who had his MT-09 stolen used to park it in the mcycle spaces near the front of the garage. Easy to see from outside the garage via barred windows. He keeps his other bike, an ST1300 in the back of the garage where there are also motorcycle spaces. Those spaces/that bike cannot be seen at all from the outside when parked. He's been parking it there for a couple years now and it hasn't been messed with. Has a disc lock on it. Used to be a Shadow 750 parked in front spaces on full display and it never got messed with. A newer Harley Fat Bob is on full display in someone's parking space and that bike has stayed put. My only hope with the Busa would be to park it in the back of the garage where the ST1300 is and cover it. I live in a very good area too. Doesn't seem to matter.
Sounds like the answer is to put a Harley cover on it. Just prop up the front to resemble raised handle bars lol. I wish you luck and a restful night’s sleep.

Back