USAF Tanker!

ks-waterbug

Group Buy Guy
Donating Member
Registered
Very interesting that Dr. Loren B. Thompson, who in the past has been critical of Boeing's tanker, wrote a column this week questioning the Air Force's rationale for choosing EADS' tanker. Dr. Thompson raises important points about the need for the Air Force to justify its decision for choosing a French tanker. The Air Force has a lot of explaining to do, and I am pleased Dr. Thompson has come to the same conclusion.

TANKER CONTROVERSY: QUESTIONS THE AIR FORCE MUST ANSWER
Loren B. Thompson, Ph.D.
Issue Brief
May 28, 2008

It is now three months since the Air Force shocked the world by awarding the contract for its next-generation aerial-refueling tanker to Northrop Grumman and the European parent of Airbus. Throughout that time, service officials have insisted that the process by which the winner was chosen was transparent and fair. But the service has failed to answer even the most basic questions about how the decision was made to deny the contract to Boeing, the widely favored incumbent. The Government Accountability Office is expected to issue a ruling on Boeing's protest of the outcome in mid-June. Whatever it finds, the Air Force has some explaining to do...

1. The Air Force says it would cost roughly the same amount to develop, manufacture and operate 179 next-generation tankers, regardless of whether they are based on the Boeing 767 or the Airbus A330. But the Airbus plane is 27% heavier than the Boeing plane, and burns over a ton more fuel per flight hour. With fuel prices headed for the upper stratosphere, how can both planes cost the same amount to build and operate over their lifetimes?

2. The Air Force says it would be equally risky to develop the Boeing tanker or the Airbus tanker -- after forcing Boeing to substantially increase the time and money required to develop its version. But Boeing proposed to build its tanker on the same assembly line where it has already constructed hundreds of the same airframe, whereas Airbus proposes to build its tanker at a plant and with a workforce that don't yet exist in Alabama. How can the risks be equal?

3. The Air Force says that a computerized simulation of how the competing tankers would function in an actual wartime scenario strongly favored the larger Airbus plane. But the simulation assumed longer runways, stronger asphalt and more parking space than actually exists at forward bases, and failed to consider the consequences of losing bases in wartime. How can such unrealistic assumptions be relevant to the selection of a next-generation tanker?

4. The Air Force says the Northrop-Airbus team received higher ratings on past performance than the Boeing team, based on a review of programs deemed similar to the future tanker. But Boeing built all 600 of the tankers in the current Air Force fleet, whereas Northrop and Airbus have never delivered a single tanker equipped with the refueling boom the Air Force requires. How can Northrop and Airbus have superior past performance?

I could go on. The Air Force refused to consider Boeing cost data based on 10,000,000 hours of operating the commercial version of the 767, substituting instead repair costs based on the 50-year-old KC-135 tanker. It said it would not award extra points for exceeding key performance objectives, and then proceeded to award extra points. It said it wanted to acquire a "medium" tanker to replace its cold war refueling planes, and ended up picking a plane twice as big.

Whatever else this process may have been, it definitely was not transparent. Even now, neither of the competing teams really understands why the competition turned out the way it did. It would be nice to hear from the Air Force about how key tradeoffs were made, because at present it looks like a double standard prevailed in the evaluation of the planes offered by the two teams.

Copyright © 2008 Lexington Institute. All rights reserved.

Printed From LexingtonInstitute.org on 5/30/2008
http://lexingtoninstitute.org/printer_1268.shtml

This tanker issue needs to be straigtend out and fast. The Air Force and the tax payers need this new tanker and we need it now. I've worked on the older KC-135's and that was back in early 90's. I'm sure they are alot more "tired" and weary now than back then. (Comming from a maintainers perspective) I still cant believe the Air Force went with the French plane over the Boeing one...

I still cant believe the Air Force went with the French plane over the Boeing one...
Surely you Jest  
tounge.gif
! Haven't you heard of POLITICS  
whistling.gif
. Maintance, Ability, Price, American Jobs or BEST for the Nation has very, very seldom entered the Bidding since the early 90's
sad.gif

Why do the think the Present FRENCH Pres is "NOW" a FRIEND of ours  
laugh.gif

I think I'll just  
please.gif
for you GUYS  
ThumbsUp.gif

the air force buying new planes is 100% a political matter.  i think it's debatable, but i dont believe we need a new tanker PERIOD, just like we didn't need c-17's and f22's.  but guess what, we got those didn't we?  the air force bought the c-17 to try and do the 141 and c5's mission, except you have to refuel the gay little airplane just so it can carry half the shiit.  now what does that mean.....we need a new tanker
lol1.gif
oh and of course you can't forgot the rebuilding of all the parking ramps to support the footprint of the c17.  people think it's a lot of money to buy airplanes, but the hidden costs down the road are just as bad. i can just refer you to the f22's price tag on why that was a bad idea.

unfortunately, this is just the way the air force works.  the air force has always been looked at as the leader on the technology front for the us military, thus having all the latest and greatest toys is a must.  we wont talk about the "you scratch my back, i'll scratch yours" type of stuff.

personally, i think we should have just bought more KC-10's when we had the opportunity.

oh and i didn't even mention the french part.  aside from american jobs and money and all that stuff, you know as soon as you have to depend on the airplane, it's just going to go "we we, i give up"  
moon.gif

end rant.
rant.gif

Controvesy diverts attention away from real issues...we do need new tankers, and sticking with cost-effective American-made aircraft would have been the easiest choice, but since when has the military done anything that made simple sense? The lowest bidder doesn't matter when politicians get involved. Its a pissing contest and Boeing got a facefull.

I would like to see Boeing get the job back. If they do I think we'll see them here for maintenance.
cool.gif

the air force buying new planes is 100% a political matter.  i think it's debatable, but i dont believe we need a new tanker PERIOD, just like we didn't need c-17's and f22's.  but guess what, we got those didn't we?  the air force bought the c-17 to try and do the 141 and c5's mission, except you have to refuel the gay little airplane just so it can carry half the shiit.  now what does that mean.....we need a new tanker
lol1.gif
oh and of course you can't forgot the rebuilding of all the parking ramps to support the footprint of the c17.  people think it's a lot of money to buy airplanes, but the hidden costs down the road are just as bad.  i can just refer you to the f22's price tag on why that was a bad idea.

unfortunately, this is just the way the air force works.  the air force has always been looked at as the leader on the technology front for the us military, thus having all the latest and greatest toys is a must.  we wont talk about the "you scratch my back, i'll scratch yours" type of stuff.

personally, i think we should have just bought more KC-10's when we had the opportunity.
I honestly dont know why you would say we dont need a new tanker or new fighters. I am in aircraft maintenance and i can tell you first hand that both of those airframes are WAY over due in getting replaced. I dont know if you have in expeiance in aviation background and to what extent it is but your comments lead me to believe that you just speak of these things from a person who reads news stories vs someone who is actually in the industry. I worked on F-15's in Okinawa for 6 years. Do you have any idea how many man hours it would take to "turn" a plane (get it ready for its next flight) after a simple 45 min training mission? On average, when i worked them from 94-2000 we would spend about 12 hours working and fixing those things. Just so the pilots would have something to fly the next morning. How are you supposed to defend a nation with an airplane that is so old and falling apart? I can only imagin how many hours those guys and girls are working on those planes now. My average work shift, (which was scheduled for 9 hours) was usually at least 12 hours and sometimes up to 14 or more.
rant.gif
And i didnt even get into the tanker...
pillepalle.gif

lol1.gif
oh and of course you can't forgot the rebuilding of all the parking ramps to support the footprint of the c17.  people think it's a lot of money to buy airplanes, but the hidden costs down the road are just as bad.  i can just refer you to the f22's price tag on why that was a bad idea.

I honestly dont know why you would say we dont need a new tanker or new fighters.  I am in aircraft maintenance and i can tell you first hand that both of those airframes are WAY over due in getting replaced.  I dont know if you have in expeiance in aviation background and to what extent it is but your comments lead me to believe that you just speak of these things from a person who reads news stories vs someone who is actually in the industry.  I worked on F-15's in Okinawa for 6 years.  Do you have any idea how many man hours it would take to "turn" a plane (get it ready for its next flight) after a simple 45 min training mission?  On average, when i worked them from 94-2000 we would spend about 12 hours working and fixing those things.  Just so the pilots would have something to fly the next morning.  How are you supposed to defend a nation with an airplane that is so old and falling apart?  I can only imagin how many hours those guys and girls are working on those planes now.  My average work shift, (which was scheduled for 9 hours) was usually at least 12 hours and sometimes up to 14 or more.  
rant.gif
  And i didnt even get into the tanker...  
pillepalle.gif
+1

He's an instructor and knows what he's talking about...

Amen, Sloto. Civilians that have never been around aviation, and especially military aviation, have no idea how much work goes in to just getting the old birds off of the ground.

Back