Unacceptable threats on the board

Status
Not open for further replies.

semi

Whoooosh!
Donating Member
Registered
Lately, we (admins and mods) have noticed an outbreak of what, for lack of a better word, could be described as a "Vigilante" attitude on the board. We are very concerned about this for several reasons. First, this is not the type of attitude and/or actions that have ever been condoned or allowed here. If one of us expressed a desire to do physical damage or even encouraged others to do the same to one of our own, we would all rise up to defend him or her. We shouldn't give another human being less respect just because they are not a member.

Second, there is always the concern about what can happen on the legal level. They have really tightened up on prosecuting terror issues in the past few years and a person posting can be held responsible for what they type and release on a forum accessible by the public. We have had posts that stated that someone needs to give a kid a serious azz whooping and that someone needs to have his hands chopped off so he can never drive again. What do you think would happen if you say that and a member or lurker goes and does it and then points to your post as the trigger that set them in motion? What do you think would happen to the board if we ended up with multiple lawsuits?

We are all here to get away from the everyday cares of the world and regular life, there is no need to drag it in here with us. Now, I'm not saying that we need to censor any discussions about the things that are going on in the world. I love to be able to read the different points of view expressed by members about topics as varied as helmets, tires, the Rapture, and pros/cons of being married. What I and the other mod/mins need everyone to watch is direct threats to another person. We appreciate your help in making this stop.

I don't know if anyone else has been following this but here is an example of what has been happening lately. Click linky. Quote from the link: In February, Zachary Adam Chesser, 21, who admitted to posting online threats, was sentenced to 25 years in prison.
Is what you are about to type worth that risk?

Hmmmmm good advice semi... Im ok though cause im a lover and a rider lol:whistle:

What a Semi-rediculas thread. :laugh:

Nothing like that happens around here. :whistle:

Yer over reacting. :rulez:

RSD.

Thanks for he heads up Semi, I know ill be sure to think before I type. Well, only regarding this, everything is still open game for me. :thumbsup:

Droid via Tapatalk

Thanks for he heads up Semi, I know ill be sure to think before I type. Well, only regarding this, everything is still open game for me. :thumbsup:

Droid via Tapatalk

With 9,000 posts in 2 years it would appear it is open game. :rofl:

RSD.

This isn't to open an argument or anything. Just my curiosity going again.

I'm just curious in these proceedings how they can prove that person is the one typing it all? Tracking IP address to physical address?

Oxymoron - what threats are acceptable?

a declaration of an intention or determination to inflict punishment, injury, etc., in retaliation for, or conditionally upon, some action or course; menace:

So if you muddle the english language again - I'm go'in "Kick Your !#$!$" - oh wait that's an unacceptable threat!:whistle:

On a serious note - I agree!!!

This isn't to open an argument or anything. Just my curiosity going again.

I'm just curious in these proceedings how they can prove that person is the one typing it all? Tracking IP address to physical address?

It is extremely difficult to prosecute threats on the internet, next to impossible.

I know this for a fact.

it doesn't really matter to us (admins/mods) what they have to prove in a court of law...everyone had to sign off on a code of conduct of sorts to get in here and should know how to act...just treat everyone with respect and hopefully it will be returned and you won't have any problems with us...if it is from your account, you will be held responsible and threats will be dealt with appropriately (this is a promise, not a threat :laugh:)

seriously though, we have had several threads lately with members advocating violence and/or posting up addresses and phone numbers to facilitate harassment...this is not how we act and we just wanted to issue one last warning so everyone can go over the rules one more time if they need to...thanks to all of you for helping keep this board the same great place as always

The Smilies need to be cleaned up too. Several of them are threatening and depict violence. Guns, bombs, beatings etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back