Two mods with pictures

Relsek

Registered
Okay, watch out all you oldsters in Fla.

I had a thought, we all know that often people will pull out in front of us even though they know we are there. They won't however pull in front of a Mack truck or a train. I thought, what if I could make my busa horn sound like a big truck, that might actually keep someone from pulling out in an emergency situation. Plus it just sounds cool.

I went down to Advance auto parts and bought an air horn kit for about $25.00 but then had to figure out how to mount it. I started by dismantling the plastics and tie wrappint the horns together and fastening them in the only location large enough to house them. Inside the nose, just to the right of the headlights.

DCP_0002.JPG

Sorry, that was last night and the light was low.

Next, I ran an air hose from the horns and a pair of wires from the old horn to the back of the bike. I used the old horn wires to trigger a relay that would operate the air pump. I mounted the air pump to the frame inside the tail.

DCP_0004.JPG

I then ran a hot wire from the battery positive to a fuseable link and then to the relay. I attached the wires from the air pump to the relay and here they are. The fuse has a rubber cover that should help to keep it dry. The relay is just to the right of the fuse in the picture.

DCP_0006.JPG

I put the bike back together and then did one more mod. You can see it in the picture below.

See if you can notice what it is.

DCP_0011.JPG

Purdy sweet...I bet they are loud as Sh&t. The only thing that is jumping out at me in the last pic is the rectangular reflector. are they not circular???

Icemann had a thread a while back that showed how he put his air horn kit in. I've got one on order for mine. I'm trying to put that in the ounce of prevention column! Looks good and clean the way you did it. And for the record, I don't anyone will notice that little square reflector you got on the tail!

I wanted to keep the reflectors for safety reasons, remember, I live in Fl where old people that can't see are allowed to drive. I thought making the rectangular may make them less obtrusive.
blush.gif

Good idea, seems very complicated to have air compressor.
Is there an electric horn that is obnoxiously loud that could be swapped for the wimpy stock horn?

Good idea, seems very complicated to have air compressor.
Is there an electric horn that is obnoxiously loud that could be swapped for the wimpy stock horn?
I'm sure there is, you'll probably find one if you search. I wanted to sound like a big truck, people usually don't react to a car horn like they do a truck.

I see a square reflector. The only thing is the reflectors can only be seen from the side and ifyou need them then it might be a little too late...

I have a buddy that had an OOOOOGGGAAAA horn on his Buell....that thing was loud as sh&t, not to mention obnoxious.

Jay

Hey a couple of tips...

1. Use AUTOMOTIVE hosing instead of the clear plastic hose they give you with the horns. The plastic hose will heat up and crack under pressure. silicone a small piece of screen over the "INLET" on the compressor to keep debris out or you will clog the compressor. It's funny but the bike produces mass amounts of debris that gets sucked in. Im on my 2nd compressor because of it. Oh yea I have (5) five horns under the front nose cowl and they are all facing forward!

Compressor is in the factory horn spot between the forks sideways. Keeps the hoses short and the air pressor high!.

Ice.

Hey a couple of tips...

1. Use AUTOMOTIVE hosing instead of the clear plastic hose they give you with the horns.  The plastic hose will heat up and crack under pressure.  silicone a small piece of screen over the "INLET" on the compressor to keep debris out or you will clog the compressor.  It's funny but the bike produces mass amounts of debris that gets sucked in.  Im on my 2nd compressor because of it.  Oh yea I have (5) five horns under the front nose cowl and they are all facing forward!  

Compressor is in the factory horn spot between the forks sideways.  Keeps the hoses short and the air pressor high!.

Ice.
Yeow, five horns. I'll bet that's loud.

I did use the automotive hose, but appreciate the tip on the air inlet, I'll have to do that.

Kevin

So tell us what experiences/stories you have had on the road when using this.

Back