Turbo madness

ChronosWS

Registered
For those of you who have turbos installed or who have ridden bikes with them installed, how did the turbos change the way the bike rode? Did it affect low-end torque at all? Did the throttle feel uncontrollable, or still smooth? What did the turbo system do to fuel economy? What's it sound like?

Very smooth very fast. in my case double the stock hp and let your imagination run wild. If the bike is tuned right everything is crisp and quick.

Actually makes the bike all around better...Crisper throttle response...For the most part and I guess depending on setup the boost doesn't start to kick in until about 5.5k rpm...It's very controllable on and off boost...You've got to remember unless your under boost the bike feels like it's stock and responds the same...Your mileage will more than likely decrease because most systems run a little more fuel than needed to prevent a lean situation...I get about 100 miles per tank now and I'm riding really conservative...I have a dump pipe and it sounds to me between an aftermarket exhaust and an open header a deep serious growl...
evil.gif

Thanks you two..nice info to know---5,5K boost starts...gotta be amazing ..250--300+ rwhp. Rock On !!

I found that I ride the bike totally different with the turbo. Ya gotta plan when to go above 5000 rpms, and coming out of a corner isn't the place. With the 2 stage controller, I can play at low boost and flip it up for some real fun. Mileage is around 30 mpg when playing and 38 when normal riding. Very linear power delivery too, not the rush of NOS, but power just the same...

Still up in the air as to whether I'm going to turbo the Busa next year.

On a turbo Busa, don't you guys lose power while off boost due to the lower compression (or did you choose to keep the compression stock)?

Also are these aftermarket kits really that refined that you get zero lag at low rpms and no reverse lag when coming off full boost? Seems that you would need a really small turbo to make it feel invisible...what size are you guys running? I've seen T-28 and G-25's, but have no idea how many mm they are.

On a turbo Busa, don't you guys lose power while off boost due to the lower compression (or did you choose to keep the compression stock)?

Also are these aftermarket kits really that refined that you get zero lag at low rpms and no reverse lag when coming off full boost?  Seems that you would need a really small turbo to make it feel invisible...what size are you guys running?  I've seen T-28 and G-25's, but have no idea how many mm they are.
I haven't noticed any loss with the lower compression. I have adjustable sprockets on intake and exhaust cams and they were degreed to make up for the lower comp. The bike pulls hard (like stock) till 5000 rpms then spools up and there is no lag to speak of, not like some turbo cars.
Blow-off valves will allow the turbo to spool down easier and prevent boost build-up when dumping the throttle.

This is the stuff I love to read seeing as that I'm considering going turbo myself next year. Keep the good stories coming. I was once torn between getting one and not, but from reading a lot of the "Turbo" post, it's real important to find a good tuner. That seems to be the most crucial part of how well, or poorly a turbo performs. I realize that there are some negatives to turbos, but if installed and tuned properly, you can enjoy all it's pleasures...
race.gif

This is the stuff I love to read seeing as that I'm considering going turbo myself next year.  Keep the good stories coming.  I was once torn between getting one and not, but from reading a lot of the "Turbo" post, it's real important to find a good tuner.  That seems to be the most crucial part of how well, or poorly a turbo performs.  I realize that there are some negatives to turbos, but if installed and tuned properly, you can enjoy all it's pleasures...  
race.gif
You hit it right on the head. A good tuner is a must, and not trying to play with the boost and "see what a little more will do". Keep it where your tuner/installer sets it and have a blast

Remember it is not just the lower compression if you go with turbo pistons, it is also what you use to dreive the pistons in the form of injectors. I was running 270cc injectors @ 310hp, I am now going to 310cc injectors to get a little on the top but not forcing large injectors that will hurt the bottom. I am also keeping the bike around 320-330hp, I can easily go higher but love the way it handles for me onb the road.

Also are these aftermarket kits really that refined that you get zero lag at low rpms and no reverse lag when coming off full boost?  Seems that you would need a really small turbo to make it feel invisible...what size are you guys running?  I've seen T-28 and G-25's, but have no idea how many mm they are.
I haven't noticed any loss with the lower compression. I have adjustable sprockets on intake and exhaust cams and they were degreed to make up for the lower comp. The bike pulls hard (like stock) till 5000 rpms then spools up and there is no lag to speak of, not like some turbo cars.
Blow-off valves will allow the turbo to spool down easier and prevent boost build-up when dumping the throttle.
My bike is equipped with a Velocity Stage 1 Street...It was not necessary to lower the compression so therefore mine remains stock...There is not a power loss going on throttle nor going off...

The kits are that perfect and actuallly enhance the lower rpm performance of a stock bike...I think mine is the T28 can remember off the top of my head...

I did have a BOV added to my system...I'm not running so much boost that I needed one but I liked the sound and it added to the fun factor...

This is the stuff I love to read seeing as that I'm considering going turbo myself next year.  Keep the good stories coming.  I was once torn between getting one and not, but from reading a lot of the "Turbo" post, it's real important to find a good tuner.  That seems to be the most crucial part of how well, or poorly a turbo performs.  I realize that there are some negatives to turbos, but if installed and tuned properly, you can enjoy all it's pleasures...  
race.gif
You hit it right on the head. A good tuner is a must, and not trying to play with the boost and "see what a little more will do". Keep it where your tuner/installer sets it and have a blast
You almost hit the nail on the head...There are two critical issues prior to making a decision of installing a turbo or any major performance enhancement...

1. You must have a mechanically sound bike...Can't stress that enough...

2. You must be competent enough to do the install or you must find a competent tuner to do the install...

If your not going to address these two major issues then a major performance upgrade should not be up for consideration in your near future...After having the turbo installed on my bike I discovered that I had major mechanical problems it took the better part of this year to get everything straightened out...So I missed out on the premium riding months and spent extra money that possibly could have been avoided if I had known to take care of the mechanical issues prior to installing the boost...Your friendly boost partner...
evil.gif

what type of issues did you have? give us some examples of things so we know what problems to look for.
tounge.gif

what type of issues did you have?  give us some examples of things so we know what problems to look for.
tounge.gif
Problem #1 for me was having improper bolt ons...They caused a flex or swaying in the swingarm which lead to misalignment...Which resulted in the tranny going and the output shaft being severed...Didn't realize the tranny was slipping until after the boost was installed...Then boost + poor setup lead to major repairs after the fact...
evil.gif

Back