Turbo Engine Build

baz427uk

Registered
Hi All

I am currently building a turbo Busa engine to go in my Westifeld kit car.

I have had the car for about 3 years and done around 3000 track miles. This year at Spa I had some dry sump problems and toasted the crank. So it was time to rebuild the engine.  

I also decided I wanted some more power, initially I was going to build a big bore motor but then I got sucked into the whole turbo idea and that is what I decided.

Bought all the nice new shiny parts including JE turbo pistons, Carrillo rods, APE crank case studs, 12mm head stud conversion and a HD billet gearbox output shaft.

I also bought a second hand crank to replaced my damaged one.

Started to build up the engine today. I installed the crank case studs and Plastigauged up the main bearings with new bearings selected using the codes on the crank and crank case.

The manual was not clear as to whether I should measure the clearances dry or oiled so I did it dry. Manual says standard oil clearance is between 0.016mm and 0.040mm and the service limit is 0.080mm

Mine was 0.060mm so greater than standard but under the service limit.

So I have a few of questions.

Should I have measured it oiled ?
Does the crank have starship enterprise mileage and is worn ?

Can I go to the next bearing in the table to close up the clearance ?
Should I take the crank bank ?
Cheers

Bazzer

<!--EDIT|baz427uk
Reason for Edit: None given...|1099763012 -->

looked into the v8 bike engines at all? quantums looks damn cool, i have seen twin busa v8's also. i think those were origional though. good luck with the bearing question...

Matt

Back