Tuning the Busa

thrasherfox

BUSA
Donating Member
Registered
Well.. the time has come..

I have always been one to do things myself, work on my own cars, rebuild my own boat.. fix my own computers, sew my own clothes...

Now it is time for me to learn the details on how to fine tune the Busa.. I am in the process of doing modifications to the Busa that is going to require some serious tuning.

Can someone steer me in the right direction.. books I can purchase, any tuners out there want to give me some advice as to what equipment I will need and what I can get away with not getting..

Not to try to sound funny or stupid, but I have been playing musical instruments all my life (when I was younger) the point being is I have a high sensitivity to sound vibrations and am pretty good at separating sounds and listening for specific sounds.

I have worked on all my cars since I had my first one, I have removed and installed transmission and engines by myself..

So any advice out there, I would greatly appreciate hearing from you...

Thanks in advance..

Ron

I'm with ya on this one. I want to do everything now just like I always have. The "problem" with the busa, compared to the bikes I have had before, is the fuel injection. With carbs you could tell if it was running rich or lean by checking the plugs. But that was just a general observasion. It could have been rich on the bottom and lean on the top and plugs looked good. The only way you are going to know for sure is to put it on a dyno with a gas sniffer so they can tell you where it is lean and where it is rich and make the adjustments (with a PC3 or equal or course). I don't know of anything available to us home mechanics that will allow us to adjust the fuel maps like a good dyno will. Only my $.ooooo2.  
biggrin.gif

Yeah, I have been thinking in the back of my head I want / need to take it down and have it Dyno'd.
If nothing else, just to have kind of some baseline stats so I can see what kind of progress I am making.

Problem is, in my area I haven't a clue as to where to take it to get it Dyno'd

I know of ONE dyno machine in my area, it is for cars. I asked the guy if there was a way to hook my Busa up to it and he said he didn't have anyway of strapping it down.

I guess I just need to call around a little more .. has to be someone
smile.gif

Oh.. did I mention I not only have awesome hearing, but I can smell a fart at 300 yards..
biggrin.gif

I know what you are saying though. Fuel / Air mixture is going to be tough to tweak just perfect without the right tools..

That LM-1 looks like the ticket to me!! Gonna have to add that to the toolbox over the winter & start tweekin' in the Spring. Thanks Johnnycheese!!!
cool.gif

man if this works it would be great cost just as much as getting it tuned professionally. And when u add mods u dont have to have it redynoed. now do you rund the bike on the jackstands or in nuetral>

I would think you need to take readings under load, just like on a dyno. The only way you are going to do that is to ride the bike. Wire in a power point on the bike, strap down the LM-1 and give it hell! Come back, check the readings on your laptop & make adjustments! Sounds like too much fun to me!!
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|BusainSD
Reason for Edit: "Why not??"|1099608577 -->

so let me get this strait we have the LM-1 in one had fist full of throttle in the other and were just nailing it to 10k. Man i might order one today:D

if you want to map yourself just buy this

LM-1
Johnnycheese -

Thank you very much for the response and the advice.

So let me see if I have this correct.

The LM1 will provide me the data as to how the engine is currently performing.

I still however will require a device such as a PCIIIr in order to make changes to the engine.

So to summarize, is it a correct statement that I need:

1) PCIIIr
2) LM1
3) Some type of device to simulate placing a load on the system.

Thank you again for the help

Ron

yep. you can get the LM-1 from Doug @ spencer cycle
the PC3R from me
and the place to tune is every day on the street due to you have 44 min. of data logging.
so you will have RPM,TPS, and A/F , on the graph all you do is map it by changing numbers in the cells of the PC3R.
Of course it is easier and most likely cheaper to have a map made but I wanted on for other things.
I have a dyno already

yep. you can get the LM-1 from Doug @ spencer cycle
the PC3R from me
and the place to tune is every day on the street due to you have 44 min. of data logging.
so you will have RPM,TPS, and A/F , on the graph all you do is map it by changing numbers in the cells of the PC3R.
Of course it is easier and most likely cheaper to have a map made but I wanted on for other things.
I have a dyno already
Cooool... thank you again sir... As soon as I get the funds together I will look you up for the PC3R

How do I contact you? just PM you?

dont you live down in the L.A. area? or am I mistaken?

So let me get this strait. You ride around with the LM1. Look at the powercurve it produces and use that to determine which numbers to change on teh PC. If the curve goes down add more fuel. Am i any where near correct???

So let me get this strait.  You ride around with the LM1. Look at the powercurve it produces and use that to determine which numbers to change on teh PC.  If the curve goes down add more fuel.  Am i any where near correct???
I used to live in Redondo Beach, Now in Texas

On the mapping you ride around and then download the log. it will tell you what RPM you were at and what TPS you were at and the A/F at that spot. then you just add or subtrct fuel at that spot.
nothing to do with curves because you will not have a torque or HP curve to look at

Him, The LM-1 is small enough to fit under your hump if you exhaust is near enough. You mount it to the bike, set it up, and ride. You just have to clamp the exhaust sniffer into the end of you pipe.

wow.gif
Dayum that LM-1 could be very handy... Even a stock form Busa with a PC would prolly benefit... Not to mention give the Tech Geeks something to play with... Very interesting...

So let me get this strait.  You ride around with the LM1. Look at the powercurve it produces and use that to determine which numbers to change on teh PC.  If the curve goes down add more fuel.  Am i any where near correct???
I used to live in Redondo Beach, Now in Texas

On the mapping you ride around and then download the log. it will tell you what RPM you were at and what TPS you were at and the A/F at that spot. then you just add or subtrct fuel at that spot.
nothing to do with curves because you will not have a torque or HP curve to look at
is there something that has an optimum setting for each rpm. I really wanting this now

Hmmmm looks like I started a good thread that turned great with Johnnycheese's inputs..

biggrin.gif

As soon as I get the money I am getting the PC3r from Johnny and the LM1 from Spencer Cycle..

Back