True cruise control

bump.gif

bump.gif
To be continued with the Rhythm edition !

Thanks for the asst with the c/c install Nathan and Paul.
super.gif

I got mine for $30 at AutoZone. If you can find one that still has one on the shelf. AutoZone isn't restocking them anymore.

So, can someone enlighten me? I thought the speed was taken in an analogue fashion from the engine vacuum, but you guys are pulling the engine speed from the ignition/tach wires.

What's the vacuum for then?

Can't I just pay you guys a couple hundred dollars to do it for me?

The speed is either taken from the ignition coil, or from a speed sensor mounted to the wheel. The vacuum is for the throttle adjusting servo. It allows for smoother operation by using the cusion of air. Same thing in cars usually. Once the cruise is "set" there is slack in the line because of the vacuum.

The speed is either taken from the ignition coil, or from a speed sensor mounted to the wheel.  The vacuum is for the throttle adjusting servo.  It allows for smoother operation by using the cusion of air.  Same thing in cars usually.  Once the cruise is "set" there is slack in the line because of the vacuum.
Do you have any experience working with the Audiovox C/C?
rock.gif
biggrin.gif

Hey B, I should have my second C/C by today per UPS tracking no#.

What's the second one for?
First one (C/C) went south, Dennis. After a month of usage the damn thing would not hold my M/C speed after I activated the set button.  It all started after my 2" PVC vaccum canister collasped (high temps and vaccum dont mix when using a plastic vaccum res) while  positioned ontop of the engine block as shown in one of Nathans install photos.  I dont know if this failure caused the C/C to start malfuncting, but the C/C wouldn't hold  the M/C speed after that incident.
On my next install I will either relocate my second homemade PVC vaccum canister in the rear or use another canister I made out of steel placed underneath the gas tank originally.

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1152187148 -->

First one (C/C) went south, Dennis. After a month of usage the damn thing would not hold my M/C speed after I activated the set button.  It all started after my 2" PVC vaccum canister collasped (high temps and vaccum dont mix when using a plastic vaccum res) while  positioned ontop of the engine block as shown in one of Nathans install photos.  I dont know if this failure caused the C/C to start malfuncting, but the C/C wouldn't hold  the M/C speed after that incident.
On my next install I will either relocate my second homemade PVC vaccum canister in the rear or use another canister I made out of steel placed underneath the gas tank originally.
Are you sure you have a good vacuum source. Mine quit working and I found one of the hoses had popped off at the "T".

Are you sure you have a good vacuum source.  Mine quit working and I found one of the hoses had popped off at the "T".

Double and trippled checked!  A disconnected vacuum line should give some signs of irregular performance (back firing while riding etc.) and will stall when at idle. I had no idication of such, which tells me all vaccums lines were connected.

Second, somtimes the C/C after several attempts trouble shooting the unit would work on its first activation during a test run after uninstalling then reinstalling the vaccum canister and de energizing the servo. After I manually deactivated the unit using either the clutch or brake it would engage for a second then disengage on its own (whud da Fug, not again).  If a vaccum hose wasn't connected like your suggesting and it needed vaccum it should not have engage or if vaccum was needed, it held perfectly until I manually disengage the C/C.

Good LQQkn out Dennis and Nathan but I do believe I've recieved a defective unit! No worries, Playaz the company I purchased it from reimbursed me with no hassles and I'm in the process of installing another one.

race.gif

Thanks for taking the time to post your experience. Info like this is invaluable, and will encourage others who are interested in the project.

Mike

Back