Tranny shifts funny

O-Factor

Registered
Hey everyone anyone,
Do you guys have any shifting issues as your chain stretches between services. Hoping I just need an oil change and tighten up my chain not the start of tranny hell!! Little clunky and grinding when shifting not under load.
"O"

There's not really enough information there to make an educated guess. A loose (or worn) chain can effect shifts, but so can loose sprockets, or worn clutch components. When you indicate a "clunk" at a no-load shift (N to 1st), I think loose motor sprocket, or worse. If your shifter forks are worn, or you have a chipped dog or tooth, you can get clunking and grinding.

What year bike, how many miles, what condition is your clutch in? What does the chain look like? Have you pulled off the sprocket cover yet?

Hey,
2006 4800miles, don't dump the clutch but I do have a tendancy to "load" the shifter right before shifting so I am putting some load on the fork. Been working like a madman and haven't looked at anything but do know it's been 2000 miles since my last service and I'm hoping my chain just wondering if anyone else has the issue.
"O"

also depends on what kind of oil you are using. i was using mineral oil until about 4 or 5000 miles and my tranny made alot of noise. Then i switched to a semisynth and i was amazed how much smoother the shifting was. I use Motul 5100 here but getting into what oil is used and which is best is just a matter of opinion here. I would try a semisyth oil on your next change if i were you.

I used Golden Spectra last time and did notice a big difference, I'm hoping a little attention will help the problem just a little OCD. Have you guys had any issues wearing the teeth off the back sprocket. I'm 6-3 300 lbs and it's not that I really beat on it but I drive aggressive and once in gear lay into it pretty hard, so I know I'm putting stress on it. been trying to loose weight, not for the health but the speed!!!
"O"

The Busa tranny has never been known as a smooth shifting tranny. It clunks and makes noise like my Harley's does.

+1 for that ! just got my 05 and it shifts like a tractor ! i know the chain needs to be replaced as well as the sprockets .and im about 6'3 and 320 pounds on a good day ! lol . so im hoping that doing some very much lacked matinance will smooth things out . thats really my only complaint with the busa is how rough the shifting is no mater how easy i take it ......... every so often it will get a false neutral and or slip in and out of 1st , 2nd or 3rd .... and yes just thinking of how much it would cost to have the trans serviced makes me depressed
heart_broke.gif
! so i hope the prev. owner didint fubar the internals too bad . did you ever get rid of your shifting prob
rock.gif

,Justin

Hey,
I changed the oil and it seems to have helped a bit. I have the biggest issues with it when I'm driving easy. If I hammer on it there is no issue, doesn't clunk or search for gear has never popped out. Hope I can just make the season and see about dumping some more money into it. Was hoping for a few track days this summer but if I kill it then I have nothing.
"O"

Back