Trailers towed by a car.

Charlesbusa

Used to be a SoCal Busa
Donating Member
Registered
The problem I ran into about finding a trailer to be pulled by my Nissan Maxima with a Class 1 hitch was tongue weight.  I'm sure most of you have heard of Kendon trailers, which are great trailers.  But they require a Class 3 hitch(2 rail) or Class 2 hitch(1 rail) because of tongue weight.  A Class 1 hitch can handle only 220lbs max tongue weight.  Other cheap($600-$800) trailers have some problems.

1)They have leaf springs, which can cause wobble and be unbalanced easily especially if not loaded perectly.
2)Tie down points are in the wrong place, or cost extra as options.
3)Harder to load.
4)Most companies I called didn't know what the tongue weight would be or couldn't calculate it, and you can't adjust the motocycle on the trailer to adjust tongue weight.  Its almost as if they didn't give it any extra thought.

For about $700-$800 more, I found this trailer the MS-1  

http://www.motorsporttrailers.com/

Vic, the vendor, designed this trailer specfically for a car with a Class 1 hitch.  For the extra money you get this;

1) Torsion axle and independent suspension which properly balances one bike or two and reportedly eliminates any wobble.
2) Tie down points are included with the trailer and are located in correct positions for tying down sport bikes.
3) To load, pull the pin out of the front of the rail, and the rail lowers to the ground like a see-saw, then as you load the bike when the front wheel passes over the axle the rail tilts back to level.
4)Tongue weight was a major thought in the design.  Vic has a calculator that the engineer provided him.  Simply give him your wheelbase and weight, and he can give you the figures.  Plus you can adjust the front stop from vertical to angled forward moving the bike back and forth 5 inches allowing you to adjust for the tongue you want.
5) Like the kendon, you can store the trailer up on its end on castors for easy storage.

Vic will answer any questions you have and calls back quickly.
If you have a car with a Class 1 hitch, this seems like the best trailer around.  I'll give you a ride report once I receive it and test it out.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1115966607 -->

Charles, I just noticed your sig, and all this time I thought it was you on that avatar. Oh well. Glad you got that hitch Bro. Let me know if you need a hand.

Or you could just find ya a girl with a truck and room for your Busa!
wink.gif

I have been touting that trailer for a couple years now. Vic is great to deal with for both business or personal needs. The MS-1 was a very nice trailer when I bought mine and he has had some improvements made to it, including the ability to to store it and take up very little space. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another if I needed one. Here's a couple pics:

Bikes_Trailered___1.jpg

Oh, and I forgot. A big thanks to BigBSBusa for mentioning this trailer is a previous post
biggrin.gif
beerchug.gif

ive got one similar to bigbsbusa's only prob i have is with loading clearanc you have to remove the fairings to get it on there without scraping. its a single trailer and cost 200 bucks

Back