Track Day Heartland Park Topeka, Ks.

GSXcite

Squirrel Master
Donating Member
Registered
Just got invited to attend a track day at Heartland park Topeka by our distributor, Tucker Rocky. It is for store employees only and the best thing about it is it's FREE!:thumbsup: Have been on the drag strip, but this will be my first outing on a road course. The track day is Oct. 13th. Any input you track day guys can give me on tire selection, set up etc. would be appreciated. Don't want all these guys passing the old man!:laugh:

That sounds like a sweet deal. Have a blast!! Oh, sorry. No advice from me, I am still waiting for my 1st track day. :beerchug:

been there - you'll LOVE IT! sounds like a sweet deal too!
ON the track, lower your tire pressure to 30 - 32ish.
do 1 - 2 laps to warm up your tires before you really hit it.
tighten your suspension up a lot more.
painters tape over everything.
wear full gear if you own it.
I forget if you are a knee dragger, but there a some good places to do that on HPT - have decent pucks! :)

and above all, GET PICTURES!!! Enjoy!

been there - you'll LOVE IT! sounds like a sweet deal too!
ON the track, lower your tire pressure to 30 - 32ish.
do 1 - 2 laps to warm up your tires before you really hit it.
tighten your suspension up a lot more.
painters tape over everything.
wear full gear if you own it.
I forget if you are a knee dragger, but there a some good places to do that on HPT - have decent pucks! :)

and above all, GET PICTURES!!! Enjoy!

+ 2 keep us posted. You will love it! Dont sweat the fast guys. Ride your own ride. They will probably start you in the begginer class until you get up to speed and feel comfortable.

My advice to you is to hire me IMMEDIATELY, I have a strong back will do anything short of gay **** let me know I will PM the rest of my resume. :laugh: Have fun now is the time to "Ride like you stole it"

You're gonna have a blast :thumbsup:

Get you suspension adjusted either before your track day, or @ the track, most track days they will have someone there to do this. Tires depend on your pace, the track surface, and the conditions for that day.

What tires do you normally use on the street and what do you think the weather temps will be for that track and time of year?

Awesome opportunity, bro! Fantastic.

If you don't have full leathers, I recommend you seek some out. It's amazing how they change the confidence you have in your ride...

Lots of peeps here who can give you top-shelf advice.

+1 on the TONS OF PIX advice.

Have a blast, bro!

oh yeah, true 1badbusa, ride your OWN speed. there will ALWAYS be way faster guys. It's not a RACE, it's a fun TRACK DAY.

also, most track day riders don't use the rear break. I don't recommend ever touching the rear at the track [or street]. because you can ride harder and lock it up easier and it unbalances/loads the bike funny during use

Couple of friends of mine from the LBS are going to that, the're really stoked too.
Don't worry too much about going real fast, just enjoy the day and the chance to ride as hard as you can without having to worry about police and cell phoners.:thumbsup:

Just have fun. There should be someone there to set suspension & ask the tire guys about proper pressures in whatever brand you run.

You're gonna have a blast :thumbsup:

Get you suspension adjusted either before your track day, or @ the track, most track days they will have someone there to do this. Tires depend on your pace, the track surface, and the conditions for that day.

What tires do you normally use on the street and what do you think the weather temps will be for that track and time of year?[/QUOTE

I have had my suspension set up for a couple of years. It's pretty stiff where you can feel every bump on the street, but thats how I like it. I have a brand new pilot power rear I'm going to put on just before we go to caps the weekend before so I can skuff it in. If I do the drags may have to put another one on for the next weekend!:laugh: Although I've been riding for over 40 years, I'll ride my oun ride. Don't have any intention on scraping up my busa. I do have full gear and leathers, but no sliders on my pants as I don't think these old knees will be doing any dragging!:thumbsup: Thanks for the info on the tire pressure.

Here is a shot of my gear.

IMG_2309.jpg

you can scrape busa parts on a track easier than on streets. that's where the knee helps you keep from doing that.

HPT is great but the curves are so steep you might need to use your hands to stay upright.
[ok they are not really steep - just needed an excuse to pimp HPT photo! :laugh:]

Oh and one last thing: It can be QUICKLY ADDICTING! Watch out for that. :)

hptdrag.jpg

you can scrape busa parts on a track easier than on streets. that's where the knee helps you keep from doing that.

HPT is great but the curves are so steep you might need to use your hands to stay upright.
[ok they are not really steep - just needed an excuse to pimp HPT photo! :laugh:]

Oh and one last thing: It can be QUICKLY ADDICTING! Watch out for that. :)

I know I really wanted to be out there with you when you and omslaw were out on the track. You guys looked like you were having a blast. I may get some new leather pants before the track day with sliders. I just tried mine on last night, and I think they shrunk some over the summer!:whistle:

October 13th shouldn't be hot in Kansas and if you are going to run PP, then 34PSI cold should be fine.

Have lots of fun, bring plenty of fluids, chairs, and shade. :thumbsup:

Trackdays rule!!

Back